Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:23 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
NC hasn't seen a massive migration into the state?
not compared to Florida.

the previous poster is right. Florida's system is set up to tax new residents and new homeowners, to the benefit of existing residents. Look up Florida's "homestead law," which is designed to redistribute income away from young workers, to support old retirees (who have all the wealth!). Anyway, Florida's costs are more difficult to capture, and besides, their budget isn't doing so hot these days.

Quote:
NH (I grew up there) has no income tax and no sales tax and some of the best schools in the country. #46 out of 50 in tax burden. And no massive migration into the state. Now what excuse does NC have?

NH is very very conservative.

New Hampshire is also a demographic fantasyland that is 98% white people, with the lowest poverty rate in the US, and the 6th highest median personal income of all U.S. states. Its low taxation policy survives due to its proximity to the richest urban area on planet Earth, which lies between Boston and DC. Fill NH up with indigent people (like the American south), and watch the tax burden rise.

Last edited by le roi; 06-16-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,378,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
not compared to Florida.
FL 10 year growth: 17.8%
NC 10 year growth: 18.7%

FL 20 year growth: 46.8%
NC 20 year growth: 42.2%

Seems pretty close to me.

Quote:
New Hampshire is also a demographic fantasyland that is 98% white people, with the 6th highest income of all U.S. states. Its low taxation policy survives due to its proximity to the richest urban area on planet Earth, which lies between Boston and DC. Fill NH up with indigent people (like the American south), and watch the tax burden rise.
But NH's income doesn't matter because they have no income tax. And some states with higher incomes than NC also have higher tax burdens, so it doesn't correlate (ie NY).

Your point about minorities is valid. Maybe NC should take a much tougher stance on welfare (ie get rid of it). Why should we support the lazy people of our state?

And have you ever been to NH? There are areas there where people live in trailers, and up north is very poor.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
But NH's income doesn't matter because they have no income tax. And some states with higher incomes than NC also have higher tax burdens, so it doesn't correlate (ie NY).
doesn't matter. when people make more money, it takes a lower % of their income to provide governmental services, regardless of the taxation vehicle.

and regarding New York, those high incomes equate to lower taxes, only if the government services are the same (or lower) than whatever state you're comparing it to. By throwing NY into the mix, you're now talking about a state with a massive public sector to support, so of course their taxes will be high.

Quote:
Your point about minorities is valid. Maybe NC should take a much tougher stance on welfare (ie get rid of it). Why should we support the lazy people of our state?
we could. then we'd be like South Carolina. and if you don't want a certain policy to be enacted in North Carolina, just mention, "That's how South Carolina does it." Guaranteed to stop that policy dead in its tracks.

Quote:
And have you ever been to NH? There are areas there where people live in trailers, and up north is very poor.
Every state has poor people. What is important is the ratio between net providers and net consumers of tax dollars. Some of us pay more into the system than we take out; others take more out of the system than they pay in.

Last edited by le roi; 06-16-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
the previous poster is right. Florida's system is set up to tax new residents and new homeowners, to the benefit of existing residents. Look up Florida's "homestead law," which is designed to redistribute income away from young workers, to support old retirees (who have all the wealth!). Anyway, Florida's costs are more difficult to capture, and besides, their budget isn't doing so hot these days.
I'm not sure what FL's homestead law has to do with taxes. Maybe you're thinking of the homestead exemption? That reduces the tax burden for property holders and limits the increase in property tax per year so residents can't be forced from their home. It doesn't redistribute wealth.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what FL's homestead law has to do with taxes. Maybe you're thinking of the homestead exemption? That reduces the tax burden for property holders and limits the increase in property tax per year so residents can't be forced from their home. It doesn't redistribute wealth.

Inequitable taxation redistributes wealth. When you grant someone a tax break, that tax revenue still needs to come from somewhere. In Florida, it comes from the new people. This heavy taxation of newcomers creates a very procyclical revenue base, which is stupid. When the economy busts, tax revenue goes with it.

anyway, the topic -- allocating sales tax revenues for undetermined purposes. bad idea in my book.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Inequitable taxation redistributes wealth. When you grant someone a tax break, that revenue still needs to come from somewhere. In Florida, it comes from the new people.

anyway, the topic -- allocating sales tax revenues for undetermined purposes. bad idea in my book.
How does it come from the new people?

There is no income tax.
Everyone gets the homestead exemption.
There is no "welcome to the state" tax.

Everything you have said I have discredited so far, I will patiently await your response.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:52 PM

804 posts, read 2,000,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
So you guys have me reaching back to my early days of living here ... Didn't you have to buy a small plate that said "Raleigh" when you lived in the city? Or was that Durham? Maybe I'm making this up, but something here rings a bell for me ...

Frank
i've never had to do that. what sort of plate?

Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Everything you have said I have discredited so far, I will patiently await your response.
No, just the part about population growth. Everything else you failed to understand.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Please, how does Florida only tax new residents?

I have been a resident of Florida twice in my life and never was hit with additional taxes. In fact my taxes went down.

What you should have said (and didn't) is that Florida gets large amounts of money from tourism.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,809,063 times
Taxes in Florida (or any of the 49-not-North-Carolina-states) are off-topic for this topic, which is a discussion about the possible enacting of a new Orange County tax prior to determining what tax monies are to be spent on.

Let's confine the conversation to that topic, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary