U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM

446 posts, read 898,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Grand Asia is good and they have good sushi and all you can eat crab legs.

Also, you don't need to cook King Crab or Snow Crab, you just need to heat it up. They are all sold pre-cooked. Crab deteriorates quickly after it dies, you can never cook a dead crab and eat it. You have to cook crabs while still alive. So when you buy crab at the store that is NOT still moving, you just heat it up by steaming or boiling quickly, then eat it. Live crabs are a different story, but you cannot buy live king or snow crabs anywhere (except maybe in Alaska) - they are huge creatures.
I was going to post pretty much the same thing. All the crabs that you purchase (unless they're alive) have been cooked (normally by steaming them). The best way to re-heat them without losing too much flavor (i.e. leaving all the crabbiness in the water) is to flash steam them. And, the quickest way to do that is to heat them up in the microwave. The method is as follows:

Sprinkle a few paper towels with water (from a spritzer bottle), then wrap 4-5 crab legs in the paper towel and then wrap it all in plastic wrap (you might find that cutting the legs in half works best). Place in your microwave and blast them on HIGH for about 2 minutes, depending on how powerful your microwave is. Pull them out, allow them to cool on the counter for about 2-3 minutes, then open the pouch and consume!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 871 times
Grand Asia on 6 Forks is no longer open. Will someone please answer the original question. Where can I find all you can eat crab legs in Raleigh. I'm looking for a restaurant and don't want to cook them myself. Thanks much to anyone who knows a good place thats currently in business.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:02 AM

2,260 posts, read 935,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennisral View Post
Grand Asia on 6 Forks is no longer open. Will someone please answer the original question. Where can I find all you can eat crab legs in Raleigh. I'm looking for a restaurant and don't want to cook them myself. Thanks much to anyone who knows a good place thats currently in business.
The last post in this thread was from 4 years ago....you can hardly be upset that the information is out of date.

That being said...the only place I know that does them sometimes (or did, I haven't been there in since last October - it's okay, but not a favorite) is Backfins in Wake Forest - around 40$ and it was only a specific day of the week so you might want to find their website or call.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:02 AM

755 posts, read 734,539 times
It's funny this thread was bumped - a friend of mine and I were just having this discussion.

Back in the early 2000s when Chinese buffets were JUST starting to pop up - there were all-you-can-eat crab legs EVERYWHERE. Every Chinese buffet had them. I was a broke recent college grad, and I used to treat myself every payday to a trip to a Chinese buffet.

Now, you have to hunt for all-you-can-eat crab legs. What changed? I keep hearing that the ocean is over fished and a lot of species of fish and crustaceans are disappearing. Is this why? What's going on?

Old 06-15-2014, 01:44 PM

419 posts, read 235,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
It's funny this thread was bumped - a friend of mine and I were just having this discussion.

Back in the early 2000s when Chinese buffets were JUST starting to pop up - there were all-you-can-eat crab legs EVERYWHERE. Every Chinese buffet had them. I was a broke recent college grad, and I used to treat myself every payday to a trip to a Chinese buffet.

Now, you have to hunt for all-you-can-eat crab legs. What changed? I keep hearing that the ocean is over fished and a lot of species of fish and crustaceans are disappearing. Is this why? What's going on?
Population growth in the Triangle outpaced growth of the Chinese buffet market, so there is less competition, and no need to offer crab legs as a loss leader. The recession narrowed margins for restaurants, and they can't afford to offer crab legs at a discount, and customers won't pay a higher price. Plus, more and more people started figuring out how to heat crab legs on their own, and buy them in bulk on sale at Harris Teeter (even better, buy them at Costco or BJ's).

Old 06-15-2014, 06:05 PM

326 posts, read 384,597 times
Seafood is getting more expensive. Snow crab is pretty reasonable at the stores, though.

Every now and then I treat myself to the frozen king crab legs when they're on sale. It's pretty easy to heat up. Snow crab is a lot of work. The king is easier to work with.

Restaurants can't stay in business with higher cost seafood buffets.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:26 PM

563 posts, read 868,800 times
Captain J's on Capital is an all you can eat Chinese buffet and it had a sign for crablegs. We were just there last night, not for the crablegs though.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 AM

13 posts, read 5,621 times
The Saucy Crab in Durham has all-you-can-eat snow crab legs on Monday nights. I don't know how much they charge.

The Saucy Crab | Durham, North Carolina Day Boat Seafood Restaurant

Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,944,310 times
It's a drive but our neighbors and us made a day trip to va beach and went to captain George's. They have all you can eat seafood Buffett everyday.

We never found anything local that even compared to Cpt George's

Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 AM

55 posts, read 39,776 times
Skippers in Apex also has snow crab on Tuesdays and Saturdays if I recall correctly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary