Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 05:16 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Oh brother. Here we go again. Another delusional Carolinian
macjr82 is right though, in the US bbq originated in the Carolinas when the Spanish introduced the pig here as early as the 1500's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
nothing wrong with texas bbq. The thing that gets me is how some act like it is "the"bbq when out of all the styles, it 's the farthest from it. It being beef and bbq in all it's other forms being pork. Adams roadside, which I mentioned earlier, has brisket as well.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:09 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
nothing wrong with texas bbq. The thing that gets me is how some act like it is "the"bbq when out of all the styles, it 's the farthest from it. It being beef and bbq in all it's other forms being pork. Adams roadside, which I mentioned earlier, has brisket as well.
It's all in what you're used to and where you're from. The first time I came to NC, I was very surprised at what you find at a BBQ joint. Fried chicken, hush puppies, cole slaw, etc. In Texas, hush puppies and cole slaw are served with seafood, and you'd never find fried chicken in a BBQ joint. Step into a BBQ restaurant in Texas, and you'll find mainly beef, ribs and sausage, sometimes chicken (but never fried), and the sides are potato salad, beans and bread.

I don't think it's fair to say one is "true" BBQ. One is Texas, the other is NC. Kind of like Chinese and Thai food are both Asian, yet very different. Both TX and NC BBQ are very good - just different.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
It's all in what you're used to and where you're from. The first time I came to NC, I was very surprised at what you find at a BBQ joint. Fried chicken, hush puppies, cole slaw, etc. In Texas, hush puppies and cole slaw are served with seafood.
And have you noticed the big difference in hush puppies? Here, they are a different texture. . . almost like a cake donut. . . perhaps indicating a large percentage of flour? In TX they are grainier (less flour, more corn?), sweeter, and often include chopped jalapeno. Now there's some good eatin'!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:57 AM

15 posts, read 38,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
What are your local favorites that have closed? Or is that too depressing.
Simply Spoiled Children's Boutique closed last year too...LOVED that store!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:29 AM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,677 times
Wow, it seems like the kids stores have been hard hit -- I guess everyone buys all their stuff at Target. I mean, Target stuff is really cheap and since no one had jobs I certainly understand. Still, too bad. The Honey Pot consignment placed closed a year or so ago. I get most of my kids stuff at thrift stores and then supplement with some nicer things from the little boutiques from time to time, as well as buying them high quality shoes.

Regarding the Kroger shopping center -- I had not noticed that Amici closed but I am sorry to hear that. The Corner we have been to twice and did not have a good experience. The quality of the food was not great and the prices seemed high for what we got -- I think the cole slaw had no flavor and the burger was really so-so. I don't remember what I got the first time I went, maybe a salad.

Glad to hear someone had a better experience and I am still rooting for them to stay in business. Maybe we just got unlucky with the food there.

Fat Philiies did not last long in that center, either. Oh, and J J's kids cuts is gone, too.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM

455 posts, read 918,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
Regarding the Kroger shopping center -- I had not noticed that Amici closed but I am sorry to hear that. The Corner we have been to twice and did not have a good experience. The quality of the food was not great and the prices seemed high for what we got -- I think the cole slaw had no flavor and the burger was really so-so. I don't remember what I got the first time I went, maybe a salad.
I actually like The Corner. It's not the best place in the world, but just about everything I've had there is good. Plus during football season they have 25 cent wings on Sundays and show all the games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary