Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM

53 posts, read 95,542 times

Advertisements

I actually will like having heat for longer. Yeah sometimes it sucks, but I was wearing a hoodie on June 25th (only remember the date because it was my b-day) and it was 55 degrees up here in NH. It's been hot for a little bit now, maybe a little under a month, but even right now, at the end of July, it's only 60 degrees out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzle View Post
I actually will like having heat for longer. Yeah sometimes it sucks, but I was wearing a hoodie on June 25th (only remember the date because it was my b-day) and it was 55 degrees up here in NH. It's been hot for a little bit now, maybe a little under a month, but even right now, at the end of July, it's only 60 degrees out.

102 here for 6 days in a row... 60 days over 90 .... Enjoy your 60!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,786 times
I have childhood memories of living in the Northeast. I remember the snow being so high it would cover our mailbox at times . Although I am tired of this extreme heatwave, I will take it any day over all of that snow.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,730 times
I moved here partly for the weather, or maybe it is more accurate to say that I was interested in more days of sunlight, in NY I suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder. (my particular pocket of NY had cloud cover that rivaled Seattle) I will let you know how that is working out in February.

I thought I was going to find the summer heat to be unbearable. But I have AC at home, AC in the car and AC (sub zero) at work. I bought a house will tall tall shady trees. The few moments I am outside each day just provide blessed contrast. Last weekend we went to the pool and it was like bathwater, I enjoyed not having my body go into shock when I jumped in. My kids were amazed, they had never seen me jump into a pool before b/c I hate jumping into cold water.

Yes, i am a little bit impatient to start hiking and doing yard work, but all I really have time to do is work and drive and sleep and eat. Isn't that what we all do anyway?

My biggest complaint is the toll the AC takes on my gas mileage. I seem to burn a lot more fuel per mile with it constantly running.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:05 PM

54 posts, read 127,449 times
Default Yesss!!!!!

I am moving here from Chicago. I have LOVED the 100+ degree days here. The sun is so great compared to the gross, gray, heavy clouds that cover Chicago half the year (even in summer). Even the heat, although humid, is not as wet and hot as Chicago when it gets above 90. As long as I am not in direct sun here, I can handle it. In Chicago, even in the shade it's hard to breathe.

I'll take a full summer of 90+ humid weather here over a Chicago weather system ANY day! Lake Michigan does awful things (like trap storm systems so they stick around for weeks!).

I am very grateful for places like this in the U.S.!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 PM

68 posts, read 145,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
(my particular pocket of NY had cloud cover that rivaled Seattle)
You're not, by chance, from the Binghamton area, are you?? I'm certain that we rival Seattle for cloud cover and believe we're second to Seattle for the amount of rain we get every year!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 PM

53 posts, read 95,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I have childhood memories of living in the Northeast. I remember the snow being so high it would cover our mailbox at times . Although I am tired of this extreme heatwave, I will take it any day over all of that snow.

Yup, it's still like that.

It's very depressing. I like light, I hate dreary, dark days. I start getting depressed mid way into winter.

TBH I'd rather go from AC to AC, then from heated house to heated car, because it takes forever for the car to warm up, sometimes on really cold days, cars need to be jumped, you have to deal with putting on heavy coats, hats and mittens on the kids, then strapping them into car seats is a nightmare. Everything gets wet, the floor never stays clean in the winter, it's just not fun.

I remember thinking the heat was unbearable when I lived in Raleigh but I was also very pregnant, lol.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I moved here partly for the weather, or maybe it is more accurate to say that I was interested in more days of sunlight, in NY I suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder. (my particular pocket of NY had cloud cover that rivaled Seattle) I will let you know how that is working out in February.

I thought I was going to find the summer heat to be unbearable. But I have AC at home, AC in the car and AC (sub zero) at work. I bought a house will tall tall shady trees. The few moments I am outside each day just provide blessed contrast. Last weekend we went to the pool and it was like bathwater, I enjoyed not having my body go into shock when I jumped in. My kids were amazed, they had never seen me jump into a pool before b/c I hate jumping into cold water.

Yes, i am a little bit impatient to start hiking and doing yard work, but all I really have time to do is work and drive and sleep and eat. Isn't that what we all do anyway?

My biggest complaint is the toll the AC takes on my gas mileage. I seem to burn a lot more fuel per mile with it constantly running.
You have a good point. I went with daughter to do some school shopping today and I heard some ladies at the register talking about how much "cooler" it was today. I had to stop and think...was it cooler?

When we walked out of the shop, I actually had to force myself to really notice! It was cooler than the last few days but really...I didn't notice.

Like you, I leave an air conditioned home to an air conditioned car to an air conditioned office!

However, when I'm showing homes, going in and out of the houses, it IS hot!!! Getting into the car, after it sets in the sun, it IS hot. But...I do like the sunshine!

Maybe we all just like to complain?!!

Vicki

Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,562,896 times
I have no problem with the heat - it's a good excuse to sit around weekends and drink beer instead of doing yard work (I say: honey - you know, it's just too hot - I might have a stroke or heart attack. She says: Oh, oh, you're right - please don't work in this heat!)

Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,828,196 times
I guess I'm in the minority, but I'll take freezing temperatures and two feet of snow over heat and "the air you wear" ANYtime. <*fans self and sips iced tea*>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary