Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 AM

194 posts, read 490,591 times

Advertisements

We moved in 2008 from MA, with children of similar ages. We agonized over where to move, mainly because of the schools. You are wise to rent and learn the area, take you time and try to drive around and view neighborhoods that you feel at home in. We settled on a school system first, then cked out the rentals that were streamed into that system. When looking for a home, because we loved the schools, it made it that much easier, because we knew we wanted to stay in the specific school district. $1200 should get you a pretty decent home, possibly with a yard.
If you need any additional help don't hesitate to ask, this is a wonderful forum, although just opinions and you have to go with what is going to work for your family.
Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 10:29 AM

27 posts, read 38,142 times
I feel like the schools are very all over the place in regard to peoples opinion. Do you send your children to year round school?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:33 AM

194 posts, read 490,591 times
We chose to keep with the Traditional setting, due to their ages. My oldest will be going to Green Hope High School next yr and we wanted all the kids to have the same schedules. We stayed in the Davis Drive/Green Hope schools and have been very happy. The move was difficult enough, and if we ever told them they had to go to school yr round, I think they would have had a difficult time. Although, I think it works for some families and the people I know that are doing yr-round love it, not for me though.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM

I am very excited with the prospect of moving and getting to the southeast. Thanks for all the help! I think the areas will be a great fit for us- I think it will be a awesome move. Anyone have any thoughts on the traditional vs. year round school?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 AM

We are looking forward to the proximity to the beach and mountains! Are there a variety of activities to do in the area?

Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 AM

We are excited with the proximity to the beach- that does excite us alot! How far does it take to travel within the area? KC is very spread out, but I do not want to drive all over to do everything.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:27 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara30mo View Post
The job would actually be in Durham, but the informaiton I have found regarding the area hasn't been flattering and I thought this would be close to that. I am hoping or perhaps I am wrong?!?
As for your question on KC.... I have been in this area most of my life and to me it is lacking a real city feel. I do enjoy St Louis more than KC though. However, KC does have its high points. The city is very spread out and I don't mind that much, I think that is why I am currently looking for a good area to live rather than the proximity to work. In the last few years the city has been getting more areas to visit such as the Power and Light district and they are currently building a fine arts area downtown. I think that the city is dirty to look at...meaning they don't clean the liter often and that bothers me. The weather is very seasonal- LOTS of ice and snow in the winter and in the summer it is HOT and humid. It is very cost effective to live here which is a plus. Overall, It isn't a bad place to live we just are very excited to live in an area with great weather and closer to coast and activities available out there that are not here.
Don't listen to the Durham naysayers. I've lived in Durham, Cary and Raleigh. None are going to give you the city feel of St. Louis.
Durham is definitely on the rise, more affordable in some areas and has a little more character. It has a few rougher areas on the east side, but not worse or better than the bad areas on the east side of Raleigh.

Most people who criticize Durham haven't spent any time here or haven't bothered to get off the Durham Freeway probably. Check it out for yourself. See downtown, trinity park, duke univ areas and north/west and south sides. Each quadrant is a little different depending on what you want to be near (malls/shopping, city feel, country big yards older homes, newer homes, upscale, downscale and everything in between.). Durham County is pretty big and its hard to generalize, because what one person might think of as Durham is different 5 or 10 miles in another direction. You could say the same for Raleigh too. East is way different than west/north etc.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:39 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
I agree that you should consider Durham. Like Raleigh there are many nice areas.

BTW Wisertime - I know you said "bad areas of East Raleigh", but I live in East Raleigh and would like to remind people it is no worse than N, S or W Raleigh. There's a lot of misinfo about East Raleigh out there. I happen to live near the Neuse River, have an organic farm at the end of my street and a very quiet park at the other end. And there are 4 lakes here. I like the country feel of being in this area. It's certainly less congested than other areas of Raleigh.

back to the OP. It is called Year-Round school, not all year. Kid go to school the same # of days per yr as traditional calendar kids. The difference is they go for 9 weeks and then are off for 3 weeks. My daughter has done this K-5, and now middle school. She loves having the mini breaks. Principals will do their best to work with parents of multiple kids to get them all on the same track. Sometimes it's not possible.

So, you could look at Durham, Morrisville, Hillsborough, NW Raleigh - Brier Creek area perhaps? West Cary is good too.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:13 PM

I did find some information on Old West Durham. This area sounds really appealing....is it a family friendly area?

Old 06-20-2010, 02:20 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I think you can find plenty in the $1200/month range. All of our surrounding cities have options there.
My youngest is in year around school and I feel it is beneficial as they do not have 3 months (summer break) to forget everything and fall completely out of routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary