U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM

605 posts, read 534,342 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Everyone is so helpful here that I was hoping some of you would be so kind as to answer some of these questions for a hopeful 2011 new transplant!

1. What are some of the fun places for school age kids? Teenagers?

2. Where do teenagers hang out? Or.. where do they go out on a Friday or Saturday night?

3. Which is your favorite mall? Why?

4. What is something that is fun and specific to the area?

5. Do you like year round school schedule and why?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 AM

59 posts, read 60,563 times
Fav mall is Crabtree Valley. I just started to like year-round school. My daughter was transferred to the desired track4.Track 4 is almost like traditional. I just moved here so I would also like to know what are some fun things other than Frankie’s and the Marble kids museum you can do.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 AM

What is Frankie's and the Marble Kids museum?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,231,909 times
What is Frankie's and the Marble Kids museum?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-22-2010 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the link MatoNC! We are definately going to go there!

Old 06-22-2010, 11:39 AM

15,157 posts, read 8,523,642 times
1. What are some of the fun places for school age kids? Teenagers?
I second Frankies! My older boys (10 and 11 yrs) also like Dream Sports. They have a Friday night drop-off program that we have done in the past. It's $10 per child for 4 hours of sports programming.

Dreamsports Center: Friday Sports Night, Skating, Soccer, Hockey, Basketball, Fun, Safe, Parents Night Out, Drop Off (http://www.dreamsportscenter.com/friday_night.html - broken link)

2. Where do teenagers hang out? Or.. where do they go out on a Friday or Saturday night?
My kids aren't teens yet but we have been to the ice rinks as a family on a Friday/Saturday night and they were packed with teens (probably all trying to escape the heat!). Movies are another option as is Dream Sports and Frankies.

3. Which is your favorite mall? Why?
We don't really shop the malls, but when we do go I prefer Crabtree. It's a multi-level mall with some decent restaurants (mostly chains though).

4. What is something that is fun and specific to the area?
These are not things that are specific to this area but we like to go strawberry picking in the late spring and boating in the summer. There are a lot of lakes in the area where you can boat and/or beach. There are also a TON of playgrounds/parks designed for children. We also noticed there are a lot of those bounce-house type facilities down here such as Monkey Joes, Bounce-U, Wii-Bounce...etc.

5. Do you like year round school schedule and why?
We are on the traditional calendar but had applied for the year round a few times (never got in). I would have loved to have vacation time on the "off-peak" times. We usually rent a house on the beach (either Sandbridge area in VA or Outter Banks) and it would be nice to not pay a premium. I would also LOVE if my kids did not have the looonnnngg 9 week break in the summer. It's much too long in my opinion. 9 weeks in, 3 weeks out sounds so much nicer!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 PM

1,465 posts, read 2,300,660 times
What tween/teen doesn't enjoy kayaking??? This is local, affordable and just fun.

North Carolina Kayak, Canoe & Accessories, Kayak/Canoe Trips, Triangle, Raleigh

Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 PM

Excellent feedback! Thanks justthe6ofus and Saluki Lover! I have never been kayaking but my teens would just love it!! :-)

Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,231,909 times
Southpoint Mall in Durham is also very nice. You can Google that for details. Really any of these places will come up on a quick Google search -- except for some obscure places or activities.

I'm happy with the year round schools. Keep in mind that none of the high schools are year round. If you have a high schooler and a younger child year round might not work for you. You can apply for the traditional option. Google WCPSS for more details. And click on the newcomers tab.

Endless things for the kids to do: Carolina Parent |Family Activities, Camps, Summer Programs, Schools, & Parenting Resources in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Durham & more Triangle cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary