Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 PM

168 posts, read 499,994 times

Advertisements

Texans like to call Austin Hill Country. I prefer bump country.
Austin has a decent music scene, sure, but it is not LA, NY, Boston or Nashville.
Homes in the city of Austin are quite expensive. The economy is based on the University and Dell.
I have lived in TX and been to Austin many times. Let me tell you, it is nothing to talk about.
Texans are a funny lot. They just love Texas and nothing could ever compare. IMHO, TX is a vast wasteland. It may be great for some, but this is one north easterner who would not live there again, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
Stay in Austin, please. Any other Texans who want to go, hitch a ride.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,369 times
We are possibly moving from Raleigh area to Austin. I am very excited about leaving the Raleigh area. I didn't want to move there back in the late 80's, when I did, but ended up staying to raise my daughter. It was a culture shock as I moved from the DC metro area. I am also a native born New Englander and having folks treat me as a YANKEE for years, got very old. I learned to live with the negative aspects of the area, so I took jobs which gave me the opportunity to travel so that i could leave. RDU area closes in on you, if you need a city fix. I wouldn't move back there if I had a choice.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:35 PM

43,253 posts, read 77,010,637 times
This thread was questionable from the start and needs to die a quiet death.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 PM

133 posts, read 586,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda9417 View Post
We are relocating to Raleigh from Austin (the mecca of diversity, wierdness, hightech and live music). We visited Raleigh a couple of weeks back, and came back home in tears. What we saw was, to say the least, shocking. Overpriced homes with beaters in the driveway (a sign of people who work to simply pay the house payment), No greenbelts or hike and bike trails in your back yard (apparently you have to go to a park to get that), and your homeless people were actually homeless! Where's the love? Other people were walking down the streets--not for exercise, but because they didn't have a ride. We saw a few cyclists in Hillsborough and Pittsboro (but that was the only sign of outdoor exercise we witnessed). We saw one sad little farmer's market, but no artists kiosks or street musicians. Where is the culture? If one more person points us in the direction of the museums I think I'll scream! We were told to go to Durham for live music (We drove through Durham and kept on driving! I drive a Jaguar and figured the cat wouldn't be on the hood when I came back out.) We were then told to go to Chapel Hill. That's an awfully small town with a few quaint shops and restaruants, but nothing to write home about! Is this what we have to look forward to? Overpriced homes, driving out of town or having to fight the college students to hear a good band, museums, nothing to do but work to pay the mortgage? Please tell us it isn't so!
After reading this I had to say something! Our farmers market isn't sad for one. I came from a place with so many of these and I am in love with the places here. Yes, its small but its got everything a farmers market should have. Raleigh/Durham does have live music events- Just look for them. And the comment about parks....Look at a raleigh map! We have so many wonderful Large parks and open areas. I personally wouldn't want such a rude and idiotic person moving here. If you started speaking the way you sound on a message board i'm sure your "cat wouldn't be on the hood when I came back out" But thats just us

Much love-
From our family!!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
Default Dear Freaked out:

This is the first time I have ever replied or participated in a thread, but I had to reply to the comment you posted. Obviously you should stay in Texas. We really don't want you here. I am not trying to be rude, but we don't need any one with the fear of losing "their Kitty" from their jag coming here with that attitude. Can you say ELITIST!!!!!!! And you obviously are very proud of yourself to be entering a PHD program, but you did not impress me with any intellectual comments. You appear to be someone with "book smarts" and nothing else. If you are driving a Jag and are in Grad School, then you are spoiled and we don't need you in Raleigh. Stay in Austin, you love it, maybe it loves you. Oh by the way, my daughter drives a 2008 BMW 535I has a PharmD, and would never say the things you did about ANY city. We have manners here: your undergrad studies must have not included a course on manners!! PLEASE DO US A FAVOR AND STAY IN AUSTIN, or go somewhere else anywhere your spoiled heart desires, but leave us to our "uncultured" happiness.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:50 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This thread was questionable from the start and needs to die a quiet death.
I agree with you Mike and now it seems like it is stirring up again. - OH MODERATOR WHERE ARE YOU?????

Char
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.