Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 11:28 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times

Advertisements

So we close on the house next week but are already living in it. I'm looking forward to making some changes as I'm used to a different style than this house has. I realize I need to account for the basic style of the exterior but am going to be thrilled to say goodbye to the yellow and beige walls and add some chocolate. I noticed when we were house hunting that most of the info sited the smooth walls and ceilings. Ceilings I get but I'm used to texture on the walls. How the heck do you fix nail holes in the smooth walls and there's been a few repairs here that don't look so great. On the walls I'm used to, I could do some of the repair work myself and it blended right in.

To be honest I like a little texture on my wall. I think it adds to the warmth. I was even planning to do some plaster work in the bathrooms in kitchen--I love it, but even I know the whole house would be overkill. I'm worried now though. We had talked about maybe doing a knock-down texture on our walls like the really nice homes have back in Texas. My husband has actually done texture before so the expense wouldn't be that great but would it be something that would hurt us down the road when it's time to sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,427 times
I've only seen smooth here. We had knock-down and some other styles in our Florida homes but here it's all smooth. I wouldn't add the texture until you've lived here a while and see what others in your neighborhood have; or, you can always do whatever you want now with the plan that you will change it back if you decide to sell--ultimately you have to live there and like it!

I wish we'd done more hardwood in our house and that's the first thing we plan to change. We have ceramic tile in the kitchen and baths and that was a costly upgrade here but the norm in FL--vinyl floors were OUT!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
I find that it is hard to keep textured walls clean. The texturing attracts dust and hand prints, etc., are very hard to clean up. Perhaps you are uncommonly tidy and this does not happen, but I assure you that if potential buyers have children, (and sadly most do), that textured walls is going to be a distinct disadvantage when selling. This is just my opinion.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,810 times
As long as you are willing to go back to smooth texture before you put your house on the market there shouldn't be a problem. From my understanding of selling a house here, the less customized the better (apart from appliances and other upgrades). You may love it, but it may turn buyers away immediately.

JMO.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:40 AM

No I am so NOT uncommonly tidy but we painted in a semi-gloss and it was easy to deal with. The walls here are not as slick so maybe a glossier paint would help some--there is some spots from furniture being moved and such, plus the flaws on the wall.

Well, drat, I guess I'll learn to love it once I get some color on the walls but can I at least do the bathrooms in my plaster, paint, glaze finish. It's very old-world and I've had many people tell me they would pay me to do it in their house--granted that was in Texas but it's still very HGTVish.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:41 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I find that it is hard to keep textured walls clean. The texturing attracts dust and hand prints, etc., are very hard to clean up. Perhaps you are uncommonly tidy and this does not happen, but I assure you that if potential buyers have children, (and sadly most do), that textured walls is going to be a distinct disadvantage when selling. This is just my opinion.

20yrsinBranson
We had texured walls in Roanoke in the living room/halls/foyer/dining - I painted it with semi-gloss. Normally semi is too "shiny" for these rooms, but not with the texture AND it made it easy to clean the walls - once a year took bleach and water and washed the walls down - they looked like they had just been painted!!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:20 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,831 times
Default Go for it!

As a decorative painter & faux fiinisher I can tell you plenty of people add texture to their walls if by textured you mean a Venetian Plaster technique or Tuscan wash or glaze. If that look goes with your style, then by all means texture. I've seen all kinds of decor, beyond traditional, paired with plastered walls.

You are the one that has to live there, it should feel like home. I appreciate you thinking long-range and considering resale and if you find yourself there and comments are made about that you can easily downplay it with ivory paint with a soft glaze on it. If you do a couple of select rooms, buyers should not be put off by it. Nothing overwhelming near the entrance (first impressions!) and I would not do it all over the house.

Areas where I see it most requested are dining and bathrooms/powder rooms for venetian plaster (heavier finish) and master bedrooms, living and/or dining. Too much of anything diminishes the WOW factor and it then becomes mainstream instead of something special.

Before & after pics, PLEASE?!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Oddly enough, I actually used joint compound to get the texture I liked. I'd used plaster before and hated the process when a neighbor recommended the joint compound. I used a midsized putty knife, painted it with Olympic semi-gloss in Pony Tail then glazed it in mocha. I loved the look but only did 2 bathrooms (one was just a half bath) and the upper walls in the kitchen above the chair rail. Our house in San Antonio was Tudor style so I thought the old world "plaster" look worked although not as well as it would on the Tuscan style houses that are so popular there.

I'm wondering about the dining room here as it is wallpapered and my opinion on wallpaper can't be printed Especially after removing 3 layers from 1 room! Since the dining room opens to the living room maybe we should do smooth but we've never done it before so I'm guessing we need a professional. I do admit the smooth walls appeal as far as painting. The textured walls always require several layers to get all the edges of the "texture" the right color. Once I get started I'm sure I'll feel better about it and hopefully my husband can learn to tape and float without the texture hiding imperfections.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:20 PM

268 posts, read 1,067,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
We had texured walls in Roanoke in the living room/halls/foyer/dining - I painted it with semi-gloss. Normally semi is too "shiny" for these rooms, but not with the texture AND it made it easy to clean the walls - once a year took bleach and water and washed the walls down - they looked like they had just been painted!!
Ditto that. Semigloss on drywall is guaranteed trouble without some sort of texture. But you can skim coat the entire wall with joint compound. I did my bathrooms that way.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,625 times
I would not consider a house that had textured walls. I see it as a major negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary