Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 08:50 PM

64 posts, read 364,692 times

Advertisements

We are moving soon and the apartments I keep seeing that are most in our price range, etc are between Umstead Park & the 401 and between the 540 & 440.

I read a couple apartment reviews that turned me off though & tend to believe in the "if it looks too good to be true..." way of thinking. So, is it too good to be true?

Is finding a 2BR for under $700/mo between Durham & Raleigh going to be difficult?
The other area we have been thinking about is around NCSU.

So, any comments & thoughts are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 06:42 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
From my experience over the past year in an apartment complex that seemed to be above average, the advice I will offer is: 1) whatever you do, do NOT rent an apartment that borders the pool/patio/common area - people will be out there at all hours making noise, and the outer walls of these places are shockingly thin, 2) try to get a top floor apartment if possible to avoid having to hear upstairs neighbors using the bathroom, stomping around when you're trying to sleep, etc. And even if it doesn't look too good to be true, it still might be!

The complex we are in is off of Lynn Rd and US-70 (Glenwood). It is a newer complex and otherwise a nice place, but the residents are not respectful of others. I thought that at the slightly higher than average price point we would be weeding out the partying college students, but I guess that does not necessarily apply these days. The apartment itself is lovely, but the construction of the building is poor - no sound insulation whatsoever on outer walls, it seems the drywall, some low grade insulation, and vinyl siding is all that is between us and outside. We are on the third floor and can hear our downstairs neighbor on her balcony at 3 am like she is in our apartment, and anyone who is using the grills at 2 am or in the pool at 4 am like they are in our bedroom. Mind you, this is one of the newer and nicer complexes in the area, not your bargain bin apartment complex.

We are moving into a privately owned/managed apartment the first week of July and can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary