Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 43,314 times

Advertisements

I am an occupational therapy student, looking to do an internship and two cities that attracted my attention were Nashville (@ Vanderbilt Medical Center) and Chapel Hill (@ UNC Medical Center). I haven't been to either city, but I am looking for the challenge of moving somewhere new, away from Florida where I have lived for the past 22 years.

I don't really know many people in either city and will only be there for 3 months, but I am just trying to get a feel for what others think about the areas, since I will have to select my top picks in a month or so for internships. I am looking for a place with somewhat of a younger crowd, considering I am in my early 20's (and I am quite used to living in a college town, from my past 4 years living in Gainesville). Of course, I am slightly scared about meeting others (since I won't have the college networking like I once have and will be technically 'working'), so I want to go to some place with friendly people, who aren't all married and with children.

I have been to NC and fell in love with what I saw of the state (mainly Charlotte), but am not very familiar with the Chapel Hill/Raleigh/Durham area, but I have heard it is very beautiful. However, Nashville attracts me as well, since it is probably a bigger city, with more to do (and I have heard the music scene is pretty impressive, which is an interest of mine).

I have loved living in a college town (Gainesville). I am not in need of a big city to like NYC capability, but do not want a boring dull city with the only entertainment being cow fields and a Super Walmart.

If any of you have experience with either city and could further reference me into what you might choose if you were in my situation, that would be great.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:14 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Chapel Hill doesn't flood.

I think it has more students and far fewer tourists.

If you have a car, you can enjoy the resources (activities, restaurants, sports) of Raleigh, Cary, and Durham.

I've been to both, and I'd go to Chapel Hill.

It's not a cow town, but it's not a big town, either.

But if music (especially country music) is your priority, I'd go to Nashville. There is more to do there if you like music.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:42 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Nashville is too commercial and populated for my taste. Chapel HIll seems like it is in line with what you are looking for. But how can you tell much of any place with only 3 months to be there?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 PM

423 posts, read 1,094,794 times
I have lived in all three cities (Gainesville, Chapel Hill, and Nashville). Hands down, go to Nashville. I loved living there in my early 30's. Lots of young professionals from all over. CH and Gainesville are "towns". Nashville is a really fun city. The music scene is amazing and every where you go is live music. People there are extremely friendly and welcoming. Ignore any flooding concerns...that kind of stuff happens...well it has never been recorded before. The Vandy area is nice and not far from Music Row & Lower Broadway. I would move back to Nashville if it wasn't for the lack of jobs in my field.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:54 AM

423 posts, read 1,094,794 times
I also forgot to mention that like Gainesville, Chapel Hill is just another college town. I think CH is far more beautiful than UF, but it is more of the same with a lot more granola crunch feel. If you are planning on doing the 3 month stay during the summer months CH is dead---totally dead. I still vote for Nashville as I think you will have a more unique & fun experience.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:32 PM

28 posts, read 72,524 times
I don't have much info on the cities. We are looking to relocate to Raleigh ourselves. However, I am a Physical Therapist - UF graduate. I would advise you to look at the type of facility. I was the last to pick for our first internship & ended up in a SNF. It was not a great location for a first internship. Whatever you decide, best of luck

Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times
If you're trying to find a long term place to live by trying out a location during your internship AND if both programs are similar in quality (I would think both are quite good), I'd go to Nashville. Chapel Hill might be a little too dull for you. You can always come to Chapel Hill later when you're looking for less action. That said, it's a charming place. But socially, I think you'd have more opportunity to thrive in Nashville. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:28 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
After thinking about it, I'd go to Nashville, too. It's much bigger and more fun.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:24 PM

15 posts, read 43,314 times
Very helpful, thanks!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 AM

30 posts, read 79,287 times
We need more Gators in the triangle area, but Chapel Hill is expensive, snobby, and dead in summer. Nashville...it's a city, Chapel Hill is a town, like Gainesville, and G'ville is a much bigger town than CH. However, CH is part of the triangle area, and total population of Raleigh, Durham, CH metro is 1.7 million.
If you really like country music, go to Nashville. If you like a more sophisticated, diverse, white collared, educated populace, go to the triangle area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary