Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 43,896 times

Advertisements

Moving to Raleigh, and am coming across problems finding an apartment because I have an American Bulldog (not a pitt, but love them). I keep hearing that she is on a Aggressive breed list, but I can't find the actual list anywhere! If anyone can help me out here, I greatly appreciate it! Thanks

Old 06-20-2007, 04:18 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycola23 View Post
Moving to Raleigh, and am coming across problems finding an apartment because I have an American Bulldog (not a pitt, but love them). I keep hearing that she is on a Aggressive breed list, but I can't find the actual list anywhere! If anyone can help me out here, I greatly appreciate it! Thanks
You might try posting this in the PET forum here. Some of those folks are extremely knowledgeable and will probably have the information for you at their fingertips.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:23 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
I can believe it. It seems that the Agressive Breed lists of apartment complexes vary wildly and seem to be made up at the management company's will. When I was searching for an apartment I saw ones that only listed Pit Bulls and Rottweilers, to ones that seemed to have any large breed or breeds with certain "looks" even including Greyhounds, which are most definitely not known as an aggressive breed. I do not currently have a dog, but I was taking notice because I do plan to adopt one in the future. I suggest just contacting the specific apartments that you are interested in since there didn't seem to be a standard list from what I saw.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:42 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
The list varies greatly. Many places include chows too.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:10 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Wouldn't insurance companies have a standard list of so-called "aggressive" breeds since they charge a premium for certain breeds of dogs in the home? I would think that apartment leasing companies would go by those lists, no?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:47 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Here is one of the many lists...

This list is specifically named in ordinances

American Pit Bull Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bull Terrier (Monticello, Centerville, Alburnett & Hiawatha Iowa)
(Grandview MO) (N Little Rock, AR) (KY & WA)
Akita (Ulyssas, KS)
Alaskan Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
American Bull Dog (North Little Rock, AR) (Aurora CO.)(Akron OH)
Belgian Malanois (Fairfield, IA)
Boerboels (Fairfield, IA)
Cane Corso (Aurora CO)
Chow Chow (Travelers Rest, SC), (Newport, RI) (Lynnville, TN)
Doberman Pincher (Fairfield, IA) (Sisston, SD), (Westfield, IL),
(Travelers Rest, SC) (Lynnville, TN) (Buffalo Center, IA)
Dogo Argentino (Aurora CO)
English Mastiffs, (Yale, IA)
Fila Brasileiro (also known as the Fila, Brazilian Mastiff) (Aurora
CO)
German Shepard (Fairfield, IA) (Lynnville, TN)
Great Danes (Fairfield, IA)
Irish Wolf Hounds (Fairfield, IA)
Mastiffs (Fairfield, IA)
Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
Presa Mallorquin (also known as the Ca De Bou) (Aurora, CO)
Presa Canario (Lanett, AL) (Aurora CO)
Rottweiler (North Little Rock AR) (Buffalo Grove, ILL) (Fairfield,
Conrad, Lake Mills & Lockridge IA) (Walkerton, IN) (Inman, KS) (Carl
Junction & Salisbury MO) (Binghamton, NY) (Velva, ND)(Pawtuckett, RI)
(Travelers Rest, SC)(Lynnville, TN)(Smithville, UT)(Neah Bay, WA)
(Buffalo Center, IA)
Scottish Deerhounds (Fairfield, IA)
Shar Pei's (Smithfield, UT)
Siberian Huskies (Fairfield, IA)
Tosa Inu (Aurora CO)

NOTE These are breeds that are typically over 100 lbs according to
UKC & AKC Standards. If your dog is over 100lbs in Fairfield, Iowa it
is considered a restricted breed.

It varies from city to city and the lists grow very, very, very quickly! Again, this is just one of the lists that are out there. If you are unable to find anything on the internet I would suggest you call animal services in Raleigh and see if they can tell you what breeds (if any) are restricted there. Good luck in your move!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:30 PM

22 posts, read 141,097 times
Most of the apts around the Winston Salem - Greensboro area have DIFFERENT list as far as aggressive or not. Some of them go by WEIGHT - some go by BREED. I have a Rott/Shep mixed - weighs 120 lbs - not nuetered- so yes it was hard to find a place that would accept us. My thing that I KEPT stressing to these LANDLORDS was the fact he is 15 yrs old and has arthritis and its hard for him to even MOVE let alone attack anyone. But different places dont even take the time to listen. They hear Rott. and that is all they think about. So when you call just tell them you have an Bulldog and ask if they require a pet deposit FIRST. Dont even tell them what kind of dog you have FIRST - ask about the pet deposit first. Some people get Bulldog mixed up with BOXER or PITBULL..... I would tell them he's only about 3feet tall if its the type of bulldog I am thinking. Make sure THEY KNOW what type of dog you are TALKING ABOUT not just tell them and get a reply. It made a difference for me - once I explained the situation with my dog!!! Good luck!!!

Kelly

Old 06-20-2007, 10:52 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niightdrmr View Post
Most of the apts around the Winston Salem - Greensboro area have DIFFERENT list as far as aggressive or not. Some of them go by WEIGHT - some go by BREED. I have a Rott/Shep mixed - weighs 120 lbs - not nuetered- so yes it was hard to find a place that would accept us. My thing that I KEPT stressing to these LANDLORDS was the fact he is 15 yrs old and has arthritis and its hard for him to even MOVE let alone attack anyone. But different places dont even take the time to listen. They hear Rott. and that is all they think about. So when you call just tell them you have an Bulldog and ask if they require a pet deposit FIRST. Dont even tell them what kind of dog you have FIRST - ask about the pet deposit first. Some people get Bulldog mixed up with BOXER or PITBULL..... I would tell them he's only about 3feet tall if its the type of bulldog I am thinking. Make sure THEY KNOW what type of dog you are TALKING ABOUT not just tell them and get a reply. It made a difference for me - once I explained the situation with my dog!!! Good luck!!!

Kelly
Very good advice! I agree that you should ask about a pet deposite first and dont even tell them what breed you have unless they ask.. if they ask just say you have a bulldog.

It sounds like you are thinking of an English bulldog, Olde english bulldogge or a Valley bulldog. American Bulldogs are NOT "pit bulls", but they are one of the many, many breeds that are commonly mistaken for "pit bulls'....

This is an American Pit Bull Terrier (or "pit bull"... some people also consider American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers to be "pit bulls")...

This is an American Bulldog...

Old 07-01-2007, 03:11 PM

15 posts, read 131,922 times
Wow, I'm a bit out of the loop on this. I've lived in Oregon for most of my life, and I have never heard of "breed restrictions" before. Here, it is either no pets allowed, sm pets ok, sm pets ok w/deposit, any pets ok w/deposit, and variations of that. My suggestion, would be that if you love dogs and want them for the rest of your life, move somewhere that does not have breed restrictions...or if possible, find a way to lease/buy your own home (that way no one can tell you what you are or aren't allowed to own)
Breed restrictions sound like something that violates the U.S. constitution...I bet it does, but big businesses have made it possible.
I saw on that list, "Great Dane" is restricted. That is the least possible aggressive dog I can think of actually...a chihuahua can be more vicious than that breed. Restrictions should be based on a case by case basis, not an entire breed. "Ban stupid people, not breeds."
~Betty

Old 07-01-2007, 06:10 PM

182 posts, read 825,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niightdrmr View Post

Kelly
I think this is great advice; but I sure hope you aren't suggesting that a BOXER is aggressive though.
I believe plenty of people mistake a young boxer for a pitbull because their faces haven't filled out and they do have that squared off jaw apperance.
Boxers are extremely family friendly, love children and to play and want to be with you all the time. I have a 75 lb male that thinks he's a lap dog and a 60 lb female that's the queen of the house.
Not trying to hijack the thread; I just don't want anybody reading this to get the wrong idea about the breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary