U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-20-2007, 11:40 AM

956 posts, read 3,054,087 times
ROFL! Haha very funny mental image. Thanks for the laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but trailer is a bit of an overstatement of the facts here.

We are talking about mobile/portable classrooms, not actual TRAILERS. Sure, they are brought onto campus on a trailer, but the unit itself is a modular classroom.

The way some are talking about this, I feel like you're picturing shoving 25 kids into a winnebago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-20-2007, 11:43 AM

2,082 posts, read 4,701,910 times
I also went to public school in S FL and spent plenty of classroom time in "portables", because every school in my school district pretty much had to have them (and still have them to this day) due to overcrowding. I'd say they were no better or worse than a regular classroom, and I didn't feel aliented or disconnected in any way, since not all of the classes a child goes to will be in portables. The worst that happened would be sometimes in the hotter months the a/c would have problems (this also happened in the main buildings, so not really a feature of the portable) and getting rained on.

Unread 06-20-2007, 11:44 AM

421 posts, read 748,001 times
My daughter was in one for 3rd grade. We didn't mind so much, but what we *did mind was that they had to walk out in the elements (Colorado...winters are not fun) to go inside the building to use the restroom, go to the office, the lunch room etc.

Unread 06-20-2007, 11:50 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,635,486 times
Our afterschool program is housed in a modular behind the school. It's actually quite nice. But the kids don't have any need or reason to get to the school or else it would be a pain with the weather factored in and I think they would feel separated. My daughter loved going to the library for free time to pick out books, going to deliver correspondence to the office, etc.

Unread 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,635,486 times
Also, it's air conditioned and the school is not. (But that's New England for you)

Unread 06-20-2007, 03:23 PM

1,354 posts, read 3,589,344 times
Let me also say that I attended a public high school (in CA) with 45 modulars by the time I was done...2 when I started, 45 when I finished.

The school is perennially ranked in the nationwide top 100. Modular classrooms are not in any way indicative of a bad school.

That's not to say there are not bad schools who happen to use mods as classrooms.

Unread 06-20-2007, 04:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,310,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Modular classrooms are not in any way indicative of a bad school.

That's not to say there are not bad schools who happen to use mods as classrooms.
Yes, the two are completely different.....there is no causation.

I've never heard anything bad from students or teachers about the trailers.

They are clean, roomy, modern, comfortable with modern wiring for things like computers and such, that some older schools lack. What is the problem here?

Unread 06-20-2007, 05:06 PM

21 posts, read 33,936 times
Thank you everyone for your responses, if you read my original post there are no problems, just trying to understand how the children are being taught there and if parents/teachers thought is was a positive enviornment for them. The post's that have been given have made a clearer image of what the modulars are. And I am glad to read that there are so many positive post about them, that makes me feel a lot better. I honestly have never heard of them (and that is coming from me being a NYer and MIgander) and from what someone had told me "trailers" were being used b/c of the overcrowded classrooms, and I thought trailer...how . Thanks again.

Unread 06-20-2007, 05:35 PM

31 posts, read 78,948 times
I am a teacher in NC and have taught in a trailer. They have their good points and their bad points. Good: You getto control the AC/Heat unit. The one I was in was a little older. It had a white board and everything. Our school just got rid of them and preparing to build a new building to replace the trailers.

Unread 06-22-2007, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 26,002 times
We have trailers at our school...and I've seen them at others. They're bigger than most classrooms, climate is controlled, and they're nice. They're just outside the regular building but the kids are allowed all the pluses of being at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary