Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 PM

8 posts, read 13,024 times

Advertisements

Hello~
I was wondering if anyone could give us some advice on neighborhoods in Raleigh? I've read a bunch of threads already, so I have a general idea of where things are located. But I thought I would ask a few more specifics.

We are a young 30's family with infant twins and two very friendly chocolate labs. We have lived in Portland, Oregon for over a decade and while happy with our life here, we are excited to experience a new city and have heard only positive things about Raleigh. We are moving for my husband's work promotion.

*What neighborhoods are family friendly?
*Good school district?
*Being very close to a park (short walking distance) is important to us, for our dogs to run around in and play catch, and for the kids to eventually run around in too!
*Our current home is over 100years old, so really we are open to an old or new house that is in great condition and is less than $400k preferably.
*What exactly does "inside the beltline" mean? And what neighborhoods does that include?
*I would LOVE to be able to walk to coffee, stores, parks and be a short distance to a health food store.
*Portland is so unique. Is there a section of town that has a similar quality to it?

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:12 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
"Inside The Beltline," aka, "ITB," typically refers to much of the area within I-440, north of Hillsborough Street and New Bern Ave, particularly that area west Capitol Blvd/US 1.

Bing Maps

You might also consider North Hills, Laurel Hills, both of which are noted on the map, and there are many other neighborhoods, although walkability varies.
ITB may be accessible at $400,000, depending on your flexibility and needs. It is also some of the most desirable and pricey real estate in Raleigh.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 AM

22 posts, read 34,510 times
Hope your move goes well. Take time when looking for the right place in Raleigh; many people rush in but not all parts of Raleigh are equal. Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address great tool when deciding where to live. The Beltline is a Highway (I-440) which encloses Downtown and older suburbs. http://www.meredith.edu/images/raleigh-map.gif ( a simplifyed map of Raleigh). Many have trouble getting used to Raleigh's web of roads when they first arrive (natives don't understand how newcomers get lost, but are always ready to help) Raleigh has many streets that at an intersection change names, so a detailed map or GPS is recomended. I'm sorry to say this, but NO part of Raleigh will be like Portland, but you'll find that Raleigh is a great place in diffrent ways (also ask people who live here when ever you gotta find something, they will tell you the best restaunts, stores, parks, and things to do). Hope you find that place in Raleigh that is just right for you, everyone has their own.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatwins View Post
Hello~
I was wondering if anyone could give us some advice on neighborhoods in Raleigh? I've read a bunch of threads already, so I have a general idea of where things are located. But I thought I would ask a few more specifics.

We are a young 30's family with infant twins and two very friendly chocolate labs. We have lived in Portland, Oregon for over a decade and while happy with our life here, we are excited to experience a new city and have heard only positive things about Raleigh. We are moving for my husband's work promotion.

*What neighborhoods are family friendly?
*Good school district?
*Being very close to a park (short walking distance) is important to us, for our dogs to run around in and play catch, and for the kids to eventually run around in too!
*Our current home is over 100years old, so really we are open to an old or new house that is in great condition and is less than $400k preferably.
*What exactly does "inside the beltline" mean? And what neighborhoods does that include?
*I would LOVE to be able to walk to coffee, stores, parks and be a short distance to a health food store.
*Portland is so unique. Is there a section of town that has a similar quality to it?

Thank you in advance!!
Hi. And Welcome to The Triangle. We (family of 4) moved from Portland (Westmoreland/ Sellwood) to Durham (burbs) 3 years ago. I agree w/ the other poster about the GPS. What you save in gas money will pay for it.
This area is not laid out in a grid pattern like Portland. And roads seems to change names for no reason. A GPS will be your friend.... as will good air conditioning in the summer.

Where is your hubby working? The Triangle has tons of good safe areas to raise kids. But he will probably want to be close to work. There really is no reason to have a crazy commute here as you can find what you are looking for in many places.

The walkability will be your biggest stumbling block. Some areas are pretty walkable and others not at all. The closest thing I've seen to old Portland neighborhoods are pockets of ITB (Inside the Beltline*) and pockets of Durham near downtown and Duke. Chapel Hill also has pockets of good walkable neighborhoods. But there is a large university influence in CH. When we moved CH had (based on a moving calculator) the same cost of living as our n'hood in Portland. And imo, CH is just not big enough to offer the same amenities and experiences as Portland, thus we felt it was over priced for the experience. However, CH/ Carborro schools are hands down the best in the state. (Far superior to Lake Oswego / McMinnville).

We have 2 children in Durham Public Schools (both elementary aged). While we had some incredible teachers in Portland Public Schools, we feel they are getting a better education in Durham. The schools are just better funded from the number of days, to the expected curriculum, to exposure to art, music, PE, etc.

Inside The Beltline refers to the area developed inside I-440. I-440 is a road that is a circle around Raleigh. It's "old Raleigh". It's the old n'hoods developed at the turn of the century and 20s and 40s. Pockets of it is very beautiful. Pockets are close to NC State and has a bit of the "college run down" thing going on.

Even after 3 years I still greatly miss the sheer beauty of Portland (not to mention the variety). But we are happy here. The people are WONDERFUL. It's easy to make really close friends quickly. Lots of Southern Hospitality from natives and transplants a like. We spend a lot of time outside 9 months of the year. But in the summer our family spends a lot of time either inside or in a body of water. Which I'm sure you know this.... you can ACTUALLY get in the ocean here and not freeze!!! It's wonderful.

Let us know where your hubby will be working and we can recommend some close neighborhoods.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:45 PM

186 posts, read 177,224 times
I don't think that looking for neighborhoods similar to Portland will be very fruitful. However, I would recommend you look at areas like Glenwood Brooklyn, Cameron Village and Bishop Park - the latter is nestled between the other two areas. Cameron Park may also offer some good options, if you can afford it

In addition to the above, Brier Creek Village Center - it may be called differently now - is another good option. They have some nice live-work townhomes, but the style of the surrounding area is suburban. There are MANY options for shopping, though, and you can even walk to Brier Creek shopping Center, which is a decent place, IMO. North Hills may offer some good opportunities, but the North Hills East's "work in progress" status may give you the "unfinished" area feeling; not that North Hills is a new area, anyway.

Best of luck.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:59 PM

182 posts, read 386,266 times
We stayed in Nob Hill a few years ago on vacation

I have to echo what others have said - no place around here is going to duplicate the type of walkable community that NW Portland is.

Two spots on Glenwood (ITB), Five Points and Glenwood South, have some similarities but they have a fraction of the shops. Cameron Village is near that and has the greatest concetration of shops near homes, but it's a shopping center, not like 23rd Ave

The Ninth Street/Brightleaf Square area near Duke in Durham is also similar but, again, nowhere near the scale as NW PDX. Southern Village in Chapel Hill is the same. Downtown Chapel Hill itself is pretty walkable

The Ridge Road area (also ITB) could be walkable to schools and shopping if you bought close to Ridgewood shopping center, which has a Whole Foods market

some parts of Charlotte are more similar - Dilworth/South Blvd

not to mention there is no Columbia River Gorge, Hood Mt. or Pacific coast here

one wonders why you left. I've been trying to figure out how to move there. just about the coolest place I've been in the US

Old 06-29-2010, 04:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post

not to mention there is no Columbia River Gorge, Hood Mt. or Pacific coast here

one wonders why you left. I've been trying to figure out how to move there. just about the coolest place I've been in the US

Don't scare her off before she even gets here!

Yes, the OP will be asked several times why they left Portland. (People look at me like I'm an alien when I tell them where I use to live. They all want to know why I left.)

While we don't have the kind of beauty that the PNW has, she will actually be able to put those babies in a stroller & not have to cover it with a gigantic rain & wind shield for 9 months of the year. Not to mention she will only have to towel off the dogs IF they decide to get in a lake or pond.... and not every time they go outside for a nature call.

AW, do you have kids in public schools or plan to have kids in public schools. If so, send me a pm before you move to Portland. I love so many things about Oregon. But it is in such dire straits financially.... and it was even that way before the economic down turn.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:37 PM

182 posts, read 386,266 times
^ that's about the same thing some friends who lived there for several years told us. they speak fondly of the three glorious summer months but the other nine, not so much

easy for me to wax on about a week in July. dang that was fun

Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighmsa View Post
In addition to the above, Brier Creek Village Center - it may be called differently now - is another good option. They have some nice live-work townhomes, but the style of the surrounding area is suburban. There are MANY options for shopping, though, and you can even walk to Brier Creek shopping Center, which is a decent place, IMO.
I'm not too familiar with Portland, but I lived in Eugene for 2 years. I've been to Portland enough to get a feel for what it's like. I live in Brier Creek now and own a place here. There are quite a few folks with kids in the "country club", but I wouldn't really recommend this area to someone from Portland. It does feel very suburban. Sometimes that drives me crazy.

I would have preferred to live ITB so I could feel like I lived in a city, instead of suburbia. Of course, that would also mean that I probably would visit Chapel Hill and Durham much less.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:53 AM

346 posts, read 612,724 times
You're moving here just for a change of pace...Why? As nice as Raleigh is its a step down compared to Portland IMHO. And be prepared for heat unlike you've experienced in the PNW. Good luck with your transition to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary