Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 AM

120 posts, read 236,375 times

Advertisements

We are being relocated to the area with my husbands job. He has actually technically already started but we are waiting for some timelines with the relocations package and to get a better idea on how our house in NJ is going to sell before me move but should be in the next 2-3 months. We have made one house hunting trip together and my husband has met with the realtor three times on his own. We think we have narrowed down our search to Cary and North Raleigh, although I know thats a pretty big area. We originally thought about renting to get to know the area better but with 2 kids, a dog and 2 cats, it would be a lot easier to buy. .

Some information:
  • We are a couple in our mid 30s with twin 3 year olds. We are looking for a house in a nice neighborhood for the kids with a pool, etc.
  • We have 2 years before the kids are in school but this is something we do want to consider.
  • We want a house with min. 4 bedrooms and not on busy road and want to pay attention to the 540 road.
  • Also, Living in NJ, we are use to Airplanes but I believe we live far enough out that they are pretty high so they really don't bother us. Im not really sure if that is a concern or not. I guess once we find a house, we will have to take a listen.
  • We would like lots to be greater than .40 so we have a bit of privacy but still have the neighbhorhood benefits.
  • My husbands job is located on Davis in RTP and would like to keep his commute under 25 minutes.
  • Our Price range is under 600K.
So far we have liked Preston, The reserve in Cary and Im not sure of the neighborhood names on the houses in North Raleigh we like so far.

At this point, just seeing what homes become available and in what neighborhoods but would love any input or opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I have absolutely no useful information to give to you. I just wanted to say "Welcome." I hope you and your family enjoy the Triangle as much as we do. Good luck with the relocation.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Preston and The Reserve are really nice!! It can be really hard to find larger lots in NW Cary, but there are excellent schools and great amenities in the area, and it's growing. Welcome!!! The only thing about N. Raleigh I would say is be careful about the commute--if he'd be coming via 40, it gets pretty backed up into RTP.

You can also try Carramore or Weston Esates.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 PM

thanks for the info. Which way is the traffic going on the commutes? Towards RTP from all areas?
We are somewhat use to NJ/NY traffic so Im hoping it can't be any worse than that! I'll check out Carramre nd Weston Estates too. I have not heard to much about any nice neighborhoods in North Raleigh. We also just found out one of the houses we were watching in the reserve neighborhood just went under contract. oh, well, hopefully there will be others.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas33 View Post
thanks for the info. Which way is the traffic going on the commutes? Towards RTP from all areas?
Yes.

$600K is a LOT here. That should not be a big limiting factor for you. I would suggest Cary for most of the amenities you describe, as well as a high-transplant population who have "been there" in your shoes very recently.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:04 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
In N. Raleigh take a look at Ethan's Glen and another favorite would be Stonebridge (well established neighborhood) or maybe Inman Park, Brier Creek, Bedford.. just so many as it depends on your lifestyle, how old of a home, etc. Good luck and welcome.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Ethans Glen looks super nice. How far of a commute would that be to Davis dr. in RTP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary