Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
So the whole thing was about some foam taped together. LOL. I'm all for being cautious but c'mon people.....why would someone bomb 1-40?
So I sat in all of that, took a long detour once I finally got myself out of that mess, and spent 5 hours driving home to Charlotte from RTP tonight because of some foam and some tape?

I won't say that the Durham County Sheriff's Department and all of the other emergency responders in that area are dumb as a box of rocks...but today they made Barney Fife look like a genius.

No...I retract that....what a bunch of incompetent morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
So the whole thing was about some foam taped together. LOL. I'm all for being cautious but c'mon people.....why would someone bomb 1-40?
Why wouldn't they? Just look at the impact that a mere scare of a bomb did to traffic and commerce yesterday alone.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 AM

Default Happy to be alive

Hold up there folks .. just slow your roll

Some of us are “Monday morning quarter-backing” now because nothing blew up or maimed anyone ... Wow! Aren’t some of us disappointed now that that did not happen, all because of a little disruption in out everyday routine? God forbid that that little package wrapped in blue and white tape with red cables sticking out of it turned out to be real explosives. I lived in NY when the last of several attempts on the World Trade Center finally took non-traditional explosives to disrupt our lives forever – Jet Planes filled with fuel!

To suggest that law enforcement were morons or dumb because they took every precaution to safe guard the public was just low blow and out of bounds. These are some of the same people that would be criticizing the same law enforcement if they did nothing and people died as a result of a detonation they chose to ignore because it did not look like a bomb.... like a bomb these days have a specific look to it.

In these times that we are living in, it could very well have been a stuffed toy which many of us would ignore because we are so cool, only to find out that the same stuffed toy could be packed with explosives. After 911 we should never take anything for granted again, or take our eye off the ball. There are people that REALLY want to kill us and they will use any means of disguise and/or trickery to accomplish that goal. Therefore, not because something does not have a bunch of wires and a clock attached to it, does not mean it is not a bomb. Let us all be grateful it was not a bomb and everyone who got home a bit later than usual is still alive to talk about how moronic law enforcement is today.

Just my 2 cents

Old 07-01-2010, 08:34 AM

276 posts, read 648,566 times
I agree with Jamerican. It's nice that we can all have a little laugh today about the incident yesterday, but police and law enforcement were doing there jobs: to serve and PROTECT. Even though it turned out we didn't need protection from the taped together foam . . . had it been an actual bomb, people would have been safe due to the hard work from law enforcement.

Yes, being stuck in traffic must have sucked, as does working at one of those nearby locations that was affected by traffic being at a stand still for multiple hours! I'm just thankful everything turned out okay

Old 07-01-2010, 08:43 AM

154 posts, read 389,486 times
Sorry, but I disagree with those who say "we can't be too careful." Yes, we can.

There is trash along every single highway around here. If you think we can't be too careful, then every piece of trash, broken down car, car bumper, etc. large enough to be a bomb should result in a 3 hour highway shutdown.

We have to use common sense, or else our society will be completely hobbled because we are scared to do anything.

flamtap

Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 AM

...and I'm not saying that all law enforcement are morons, or anything like that.

It looks like the emergency responders effectively cleared the area as they are trained to do. Traffic was kept moving (as much as possible), and media outlets were reasonably well informed also.

I think the decision to make this into an incident of this scale is the decision we should be questioning.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamtap View Post
Sorry, but I disagree with those who say "we can't be too careful." Yes, we can.

There is trash along every single highway around here. If you think we can't be too careful, then every piece of trash, broken down car, car bumper, etc. large enough to be a bomb should result in a 3 hour highway shutdown.

We have to use common sense, or else our society will be completely hobbled because we are scared to do anything.

flamtap
Common sense you say ... were you paying attention to the news? There was an actual call of a bomb threat and from where I sat to watch the TV, the object looked like something wrapped with two pieces of RED wires looped together. That did not look like any ordinary piece of garbage .. come on now let's me real here.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamtap View Post
...and I'm not saying that all law enforcement are morons, or anything like that.

It looks like the emergency responders effectively cleared the area as they are trained to do. Traffic was kept moving (as much as possible), and media outlets were reasonably well informed also.

I think the decision to make this into an incident of this scale is the decision we should be questioning.
Hey flamtap, prior to 911 maybe this would not have been an incident of this scale as you term it; that being said, the traffic jam up was nothing compared to Atlanta's rush hour traffic

Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Common sense you say ... were you paying attention to the news? There was an actual call of a bomb threat and from where I sat to watch the TV, the object looked like something wrapped with two pieces of RED wires looped together. That did not look like any ordinary piece of garbage .. come on now let's me real here.

There was no call of a bomb threat. WRAL was clear in that when the story broke, they initially reported a bomb threat as someone passing info along from the PD said that, but that later, they confirmed there was no threat called in at all. Someone driving by saw the item(s) and called 911 thinking it might be something.

In all honesty, I can see why they thought it was a bomb at first going by looks, but, it also seemed pretty obvious to me from the Sky5 pictures that the red "wires" was a bungie cord. You could pretty clearly see the mostly red cord with the two black hook ends on it hooked together. It probably did fall out of a truck. My only question, is how long did it sit there before being noticed? Once they saw the picture I saw on TV, they should have moved quickly to get that thing out of there.

The one Durham County Sheriff shooting himself in the arm with his rifle was kind of funny also, in a Baney Fife kind of way. Good thing he is OK.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Hey flamtap, prior to 911 maybe this would not have been an incident of this scale as you term it; that being said, the traffic jam up was nothing compared to Atlanta's rush hour traffic
I grew up in Atlanta and have experienced truly being unable to get anywhere. I remember the time the high-tension power lines were knocked down onto I-85 in Gwinnett... I did avoid the bad Freakniks, at least...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary