Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 PM

6 posts, read 18,658 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a single female in my early 30's with 2 pets. There is a possibility that I will be relocating to Raleigh for a job in a very near future.

I've lived in Chicago for 1.5 years, before that it was 12 years in South FL. I love Chicago, but dating is extremely hard here! I'm surprised that Forbes would classify Chicago as #3 city for singles in 2009.

Anyways, I've never been to Raleigh, but the job is worth it, so I'm moving.

What is a good neighborhood to be in for single young adults? I don't want to end up in a college town.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Hmmm..isn't Raleigh a college town since NCSU is here? Peace college? Shaw College? and a few others.

You might be able to avoid the collegiate neighborhoods.

I hear say that the Five Points area is very stylish and younger crowd.

Others will know better than I.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Hmmm..isn't Raleigh a college town since NCSU is here? Peace college? Shaw College? and a few others.
The presence of colleges/universities does not make somewhere a "college town"--that is a term for places such as Chapel Hill, where the university has a huge, often overpowering, presence in the municipality and many folks from outside the area think of one when they think of the other. Raleigh has far more here than just colleges, so it is not a "college town", though the areas down near NC State/Meredith/St Marys have a lot of a "college town" feel.

Quote:
I hear say that the Five Points area is very stylish and younger crowd.
Actually, most of Five Points is among the more expensive, "old money" neighborhoods there is . There are some younger and cheaper areas in that vicinity, but in general, I have never heard 5P described as high on the list of places for someone in that age group to live.

I'm hearing more about Brier Creek, a very new area in NW Raleigh, for 20-30somethings. Several on this very forum, who can comment.

It should not be a problem to find the type of neighborhood you are looking for, though you might not get it on the first try.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:14 AM

171 posts, read 430,190 times
Enough people have said that Brier Creek is a good place for singles that there must be something to it. There are definitely some separate scenes going on doing their own thing. The hub of Brier Creek is a big suburban mall. The location between Raleigh and Durham is a definitely an upside. If that sounds like what you're looking for, you've found it.

I live in the downtown area ("inside the beltline" as they say). Many of the single people I run into live in my neighborhood or the surrounding area. NC State is on the west side of downtown and many young singles have the same desire you do, to not live near college students. I agree with an earlier post, many of the housing areas on the west side of downtown are old money neighborhoods or they have already appreciated past the point of affordability for most single people. Single people also tend to have dogs (yay dogs!). Those two points lead them to the areas around the Oakwood Dog Park. Many of the houses in the area are bungalows (sub-1000 sq ft) with big yards for dogs and near downtown nightlife, which fits the single and married-with-no-kids-but-an-awesome-dog demographic. As a side note, there are some larger homes and others have simply been added on to, so there are a growing number of families as well. My wife and I liked this area, but the houses tend to be in the $150-250k range, and we were looking to spend a bit less than that. Thus, leading us to home sweet home, the King Charles neighborhood. As with all housing issues, it depends on how much of a mortgage you would like to carry. Best of luck!

Old 07-01-2010, 06:42 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
We have a bunch of single friends who live in Brier Creek. It offers easy access to RTP and RDU but it is essentially a big shopping center with some restaurants and bars.
Downtown areas like Glenwood South certainly seem to have more of a single vibe to me.
Might want to check out both ...

Frank

Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Hi,

I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to give you a "heads up." I just moved here from Chicago in April and want to let you know that what you would wear for Summer there is too warm here. I had to go shopping quickly! It's beautiful, but it's HOT!

All the best with your move.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 30,116 times
Saw your post, I'm a single female, 34, from Chicago as well, considering a position in Durham.
Just wondering how the move turned out for you? HOw is the dating scene? Any recommendations on where to live?
I've lived in downtown Chicago for 10 years, excited to get out of the "big city".

Old 11-08-2010, 10:12 PM

21 posts, read 40,409 times
I think Brier Creek (already mentioned), Twin lakes in Cary, Preston area town homes in Cary, South Point in Durham, Crabtree area in Raleigh etc. may be some good places to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary