Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 6,393 times

Advertisements

The only thing on the car that is different from the ones around it is a PA license plate. I really hope that's not what is provoking someone as we are seriously considering moving to NC and this is not the welcome I would want! I don't think he has annoyed anyone as he is only in NC for a day or two each week and he works 14 hour days and then goes to the condo to sleep. Hasn't met anyone in the complex other than to say "Hi" in the hallway. No parties, no noise, no bumper stickers. The condo complex is called The Cascades and it is 5 minutes from the airport and 5 minutes from his office so he does like the convenience but his lease is up soon and we are trying to decide whether to buy and if so, where or whether to just rent something else for a while longer. Extending this lease is pretty much off the table after these two incidents.

Again, anyone able to recommend a good neighborhood in this area or shed any light on some kind of developing problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
Are you sure that it said "Frick"? Maybe their key stroke was a little light on the right side of the capital F....
Yes. I agree. Sounds like your husband has pissed somebody off. Perhaps cut off the wrong person on the drive to/from work. I doubt that it has anything to do with the neighborhood. It's one thing to key someone's car in a parking lot, but carving the word "Prick" in their hood while parked in their own driveway sounds personal.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:28 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Get one of these and point it at your driveway:
http://www.x10.com/key_products/night-camera.htm

Record the video 24/7, wait for something to happen again, and go to police.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:36 PM

238 posts, read 669,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymom View Post
Hi. My husband is working in the Raleigh area and we have rented a condo in the Brier Creek development for a year. We currently live in PA but are thinking of moving to Raleigh.

Twice in the past two weeks he has had his car severely damaged when it was parked in his private driveway overnight at Brier Creek (currently have 2 cars in Raleigh but only a one car garage.) The first time, the number 8 was keyed into the hood (about a foot tall). He reported it to the condo management and to the police. Last night, it happened again. This time the number 7 and the word "Frick" were carved into the hood and front side panel.

Has anyone heard anything about this kind of vandalism going on in this area? Given that we are considering moving, any info about the area would be appreciated. It looked like a nice area and a nice development but I guess looks can be deceiving. Do these numbers or this word mean anything to anyone? The police didn't seem too concerned and the condo management said they would file a report (doesn't make me feel much better.)

Again, any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
That is very odd. I know the place you are talking about and it just seems weird that any vandalism would happen there. Especially only to his car and no one else's. That area is fairly high end and within the country club.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:51 AM

4 posts, read 6,393 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do think we will try to set up a camera. He's a bit absent minded so it is possible that he might have cut someone off in traffic without knowing it but this still seems a bit extreme if that is the case. Anger management issues? Someone who hates the Steelers?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:10 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Someone who hates the Steelers?
Ahh. Now we have it. You didn't say you were a Steelers fan

Born and raised in Greentree myself. Left for TX when I was 21.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM

238 posts, read 669,289 times
Quote:
Someone who hates the Steelers?
Haha. That is not it. The Steeler Nation is in full force down here. I see Steelers stuff on cars everyday.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,281 times
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply but I don't know whether it could be kids though I guess it depends on your definition of kids. It has to be happening rather late at night and I'm not sure I want to live in a place where "kids" roam at night to do thousands of dollars of damage to my car. Not my idea of a kid's prank. I guess I am trying to find out if this kind of vandalism is common in this development. Neither the management or the police seem too concerned. Before I make a decision about a purchase, I want as much information as possible about the safety of the neighborhoods. Thanks.
When I say "kids" I mean teenagers. LOL I'm trying to imagine a pair of 5 yr olds roaming the condo complex at 3 am picking out cars to key.

I really think it's a case of mistaken car identity. Probably the main reason that the police and management aren't too concerned is because no one entered the vehicle (no breaking and entering) so they probably think the same thing I though when I read your OP....kids.

As far as safety of neighborhoods go it's difficult to ask others for their opinions. What one person considers safe another may not. There is crime everywhere. You're not going to escape it. My suggestion would be to go to the police department in the town you're thinking about buying in (Durham, Raleigh, Cary, Apex, etc.) and ask to see the crime stats for the area/neighborhood you're thinking about buying in. You will be able to see exactly what calls were made to 911 and for what reason.

Good Luck and don't let some random childish stupidity discourage you and your hubby from moving to the area.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:40 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do think we will try to set up a camera. He's a bit absent minded so it is possible that he might have cut someone off in traffic without knowing it but this still seems a bit extreme if that is the case. Anger management issues? Someone who hates the Steelers?
It's very unusual to see this kind of thing happen in the Brier Creek neighborhood. We have had reports of smash and grab car breakins, but nothing like this.

I'm not trying to judge but your post does set off a few alarm bells. Your husband apparently doesn't pay attention when he's driving. You think he might have possibly cut someone off? If your husband did cut someone off or almost cause an accident by not paying attention, then someone might have followed him home and scratched his car. However, most people would just key your car and be done. I've never heard of people scratching symbols and words like what you describe.

mollymom is there any update to your situation? Have you talked to your neighbors to see if they have experienced this before? Did the police come back with anything?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
The summer brings alot of these crimes out. Kids having nothing to do and hanging out late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary