Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 12,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfetteredSoul View Post
oh, yes!... you just reminded me... while at the Gastonia office, I was told they were 'offering' an oral cancer test....how nice... I don't want one.... I have a doctor that would take care of that stuff... but, thru the entire visit, I was reminded that I NEEDED to have the test done... the attendants, the doctor, the receptionist, all had their say about it... I told them no the first time they asked!!!... why continue?.... that should have given me a clue, ya know?......
1) If you have a high risk for oral cancer, alcohol or tobacco use, it's reasonable to propose an additional cancer screening. If you had any suspicious lesions in your mouth, it's certainly reasonable. They are probably trying to sell the Vizilite system. However, there should be a cursory screening for that anyway as part of the regular exam and it's no excuse for being too pushy on the additional screening.

2) Your regular MD is HIGHLY unlikely to catch oral cancer. If they are looking in your mouth, they are usually looking right past the high risk areas and focusing on your pharynx. If you ask them to look at something suspicious, they will likely refer you to your dentist. Your dentist has had 5 to 10 times the training in oral pathology than your family physician. But, that's your risk to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 PM

850 posts, read 3,620,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRWDAVIDSON View Post
Be wary of any dentist who considers themselves "holistic." And be wary of any dentist who claims to use composite (tooth colored) fillings for the health benefits. They look nice, they are reasonably durable, and it's a good material. But, they aren't anywhere near as durable as amalgam, and there are no health benefits. They are more expensive which usually works in the dentists favor, and will eventually require replacement. Also, please be specific about "advanced technology." That generic term raises a lot of red flags, as it usually means "unproven."

Good luck with your dentist search.
Thank you, I've done my research on amalgram and holistic dentistry and regardless of what anyone "claims" as far as holistic goes, we don't do amalgram...period.

When I stated "advanced technology", I simply meant as far as the dental equipment in the office being state of the art.

Lauren

Old 02-10-2008, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 12,266 times
First, you said you use Harmony dental spa. Then, you said "we don't do amalgram...period." Do you work for them? Also, it's amalGAM not amalGRAM.

"State of the Art" is awesome. Good for you. Just let people be aware that it also means much higher overhead to pass along to your patients. A $1500 dollar Kavo handpiece doesn't prepare a tooth any better than a $150 dollar Sullivan and Schien generic. The magic is in the magician, not the wand. If there are TV's in the ceiling, someone is paying for them. And, the intraoral cameras are considered an aid to sales. Not treatment.

Also, I'd love to see the research on the "health benefits" of composites vs. amalgams. Could you post some links? I already know the ADA stance on that.

Using nothing but composite is a personal choice. But, it's actually considered malpractice to do so for the "health benefits." You can replace amalgams with composites for esthetic reasons, or if there is recurrent decay, but it is actually considered malpractice to replace sound amalgam fillings with composite fillings for "health reasons." People have been sued, and they have lost. Composite (tooth colored) is good material, but it has it's limitations.

I have two fillings in my mouth. I insisted upon amalgam. I can assure you, it was an educated decision and had nothing to do with the cost.

Cheers,
DrW

Old 02-10-2008, 08:37 PM

850 posts, read 3,620,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRWDAVIDSON View Post
First, you said you use Harmony dental spa. Then, you said "we don't do amalgram...period." Do you work for them? Also, it's amalGAM not amalGRAM.
Not sure what you are implying here but no I do not work for them. We found them and loved them but have since stopped going as the dentist we liked, left the practice. Thanks for catching the typo.
Quote:
Also, I'd love to see the research on the "health benefits" of composites vs. amalgams. Could you post some links? I already know the ADA stance on that.
Actually, I never used the term "health benefits" in relation to amalgam, I believe you did. I never stated anything other than we don't use it.

I'm happy with the extensive research that I've done on the subject and have no need to debate it. I was simply offering up a place we had found and really liked.

Lauren

Old 02-11-2008, 10:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,109,794 times
My dentist's practice tried hawking Vizilyte tests but soon abandoned it since many insurance plans don't cover it.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,074 times
I went to a cary Dentist and was told I had cancer of the mouth 12 yrs ago! He wanted MONEY!
I went to a Dentist in WakeForest and he told me I needed inplants knowing I had bone loss,yep he wanted MONEY!
There are a few "Doctor's"out there that will tell you anything to get MONEY.
The first time I went to Dr. Sandra Martin I questioned her (after exrays) what needed to be done.She gave me a list and was so honest with the work that needed to be done.She said bone grafts would not work for inplants, would be wasting MONEY.
I am a BIG BABY when it comes to my teeth, she is so gentle.
I have been going back year after year!

Mary Hall

Old 06-04-2008, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 20,182 times
Do NOT go to DentalWorks in Charlotte/Carmel Village. I have had a lot of work done on my teeth and have never had such a horrible experience. They are rude and incompetent. Need to warn everybody I can....DO NOT GO TO DENTALWORKS in Charlotte at Carmel Village.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,277 times
Default Need Dentures

Anyone have any good recommendations or advice? Thanks alot

Old 04-07-2009, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,614 times
Default Dentures

DentalWorks makes custom dentures with a warranty. They aren't those cheap dentures from one of thse denture mills

Old 05-12-2009, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,539 times
All I know is that Dentalworks in Huntersville NC is awful. Took me from January 20 until May to get an upper denture....the ad on tv says prompt appointments...haha, what a joke. Also, cant even wear the teeth, and I told the dentist when we were using the wax ones for fit it was too far back, and teeth stuck out...what a waste of my money and time. I simply cant go to another dentist and gag for the impressions, that about kills me. So, what now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary