Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:43 PM

10 posts, read 51,431 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Raleigh in a month (ITB near Cameron Village and Boylan Heights). I don't want or need cable or satellite TV because they overcharge by a ton for channels I have absolutely no desire to watch. (I never understand how people can complain about gas prices or even paying taxes when they are willing to pay $100-200 each month (!) to get channels that they'll mostly not watch anyway....) I will use the Internet as the primary way for me to watch things, but I am wondering what free over-the-air TV channels I can get in my home since I do prefer to watch sports and local news on live TV rather than on the Internet. I have an analogue TV with a digital converter box, with indoor rabbit-ear antennas. Please comment. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 PM

17,590 posts, read 15,303,233 times
I dumped my DirecTV last Feb after realizing that the majority of what I watched was on network TV and there was no point in paying $80/month for TV.

Depending on where you live and the signal strength, you might need to install (or have installed) a UHF antenna on the outside of your dwelling in order to pick up the most channels and the strongest signals.

You should be able to pick up about 20 stations (incl all the majors ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/CW/PBS) and some more obscure ones too.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:03 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,802,459 times
I have a converter box on the bedroom TV. I get about 18 stations. Sometimes I have to rescan just to get one to come in clearer. I get the major networks (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox) and PBS and some of the others that I don't watch much (my-RDC, CW22, etc.) WRAL has an alternate channel (5-2) which airs old movies. (I wish they still had their news channel) WTVD has three channels (11-2 shows a lot of health and wellness programs, 11-3 is weather). WNCN has 3 channels (17-2 shows a lot of beach volleyball for some odd reason and 17-3 is weather). There are 3 UNC channels (4-2 is kids, 4-3 is an explorer station. It used to be just an NC channel, which I miss.)

Considering that most of the shows I watch are either on ABC or CBS, I'm okay with it. The only problem I have is the lack of program guide, but I have found that there are some television sites online that you can program with your zip code and it will give you the broadcast listings.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,050,726 times
Most of the broadcast channels in this area are transmitted from an antenna farm in Garner so aiming your antenna is fairly easy.

Antenna Web is a good online resource to get you going.

As mentioned, inside rabbit ears may/may not work based on height, location, etc. Higher is better.

If the antenna fails, Hulu (and Hulu plus) are great Internet options.

Frank

Old 07-06-2010, 07:13 AM

357 posts, read 1,378,136 times
We canceled our cable a few months ago and bought a powered antenna for our HD signal. It far exceeded my expectations and we added a TiVo onto it so we can record, in lieu of the less-than-stellar Time Warner DVR we had previously been using. All in all we're very happy we made the switch and are saving a lot of money each month.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:06 PM

17,590 posts, read 15,303,233 times
I'm using Tivo as well. Purchased a 3rd generation Tivo box so I could record HD. Works great. Very happy to be rid of that monthly satellite bill, esp since I don't watch enough TV to justify the expense.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 PM

268 posts, read 740,783 times
One thing is for sure, if you get good OTA reception with your built in digital tuner
in your snappy new HDTV, you generally get a much nicer HD signal that way.
Most cable companies compress the signal to save bandwidth. The OTA signals
come in full tilt. The PBS station here in Memphis is particularly crisp. I am sure
that the Triangle is about the same.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 786,834 times
If you go to AntennaWeb, you can put in your address and see what stations you'll be able to get and which direction to point your antenna to. You can also go to TitanTV - Free Customizable TV Listings to see what subchannels there are for each station.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:04 PM

35 posts, read 129,387 times
Quote:
I'll be moving to Raleigh in a month (ITB near Cameron Village and Boylan Heights). I don't want or need cable or satellite TV because they overcharge by a ton for channels I have absolutely no desire to watch. (I never understand how people can complain about gas prices or even paying taxes when they are willing to pay $100-200 each month (!) to get channels that they'll mostly not watch anyway....) I will use the Internet as the primary way for me to watch things, but I am wondering what free over-the-air TV channels I can get in my home since I do prefer to watch sports and local news on live TV rather than on the Internet. I have an analogue TV with a digital converter box, with indoor rabbit-ear antennas. Please comment. Thanks!
Also between hulu and my $9/mo netflix subscription I get everything I want without giving the bloodsuckers at TW any money

Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM

754 posts, read 1,688,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstategrrl View Post
Also between hulu and my $9/mo netflix subscription I get everything I want without giving the bloodsuckers at TW any money
If Hurricanes games were free OTA I'd drop satellite in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary