U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM

351 posts, read 456,496 times
Default Another Time Warner Price Increase????

Current TWC subscribers -- you may want to check your bill.

I just opened my latest TWC bill and noticed the kind folks there just added at 15% increase on premium cable channels. No warning, no notice.

So, guess who switched to DirecTV today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 01:58 PM

443 posts, read 867,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
Current TWC subscribers -- you may want to check your bill.

I just opened my latest TWC bill and noticed the kind folks there just added at 15% increase on premium cable channels. No warning, no notice.

So, guess who switched to DirecTV today?
My increase was $3.15 (after taxes) on a $64.90 bill (again, after taxes). It's not 15%, but it is an increase.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:45 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,410,632 times
I called earlier this year to have my rate dropped back down on internet - I already switched to Dish from TWC cable and have been loving that. Thinking about it today I may switch to Clear for internet. Its ~$5 more expensive to go to 6Mbps from the 1.5 I currently get from TWC.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:17 PM

8,394 posts, read 12,057,639 times
I can't tell from my current bill if there's any increase, but the overall amount is in line with last month's bill. (We always rent a movie or two so I can't tell exactly how much the core of last months' bill was - I just have the amount.)

Old 07-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
My increase was $3.15 (after taxes) on a $64.90 bill (again, after taxes). It's not 15%, but it is an increase.
I had the two premium channel add-on. The line item changed from $20 to $23, plus taxes.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 PM

2,214 posts, read 3,986,934 times
I'm one who is against contracts with service providers. That being said I guess I'm the pot calling the kettle black since I am currently in a 2-year contract with TWC. However, I don't think it's a bad thing. I subscribed to their "price lock guarantee". When I did I agreed to pay $72/month for RR standard and standard cable (ch. 2-78. none of the "digital" b.s. that I feel is a waste of money especially since I can get true 1080p over the air for free whereas the highest TWC broadcasts in is 480i.). No rate increase for me!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,110,788 times
Does TW have a monopoly in Raleigh? Here in Richmond, Verizon (Fios) competes with Comcast making for great competition and great deals on cable. When I lived in Roanoke, Comcast and Cox split monopoly territories and the packages were 70% higher than Richmond. Is that the way it is in Raleigh?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 PM

6,301 posts, read 10,024,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I'm one who is against contracts with service providers. That being said I guess I'm the pot calling the kettle black since I am currently in a 2-year contract with TWC. However, I don't think it's a bad thing. I subscribed to their "price lock guarantee". When I did I agreed to pay $72/month for RR standard and standard cable (ch. 2-78. none of the "digital" b.s. that I feel is a waste of money especially since I can get true 1080p over the air for free whereas the highest TWC broadcasts in is 480i.). No rate increase for me!
I've been here two years and my bill has been under $60 for the same stuff ($54 I think). It was $19.99 for internet (not the 768k, the next step up) and maybe $30 plus tax for the 70 channel cable.

They did just raise my cable however to $50, if I go with the "digital" cable for a year it's $40. Also raised my internet, was paying $19.99 and they raised it a bunch, so I switched to the lite 768k.

Looks like TWC isn't discounting as heavily as before, we are really tempted to do Direct TV.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 PM

432 posts, read 585,744 times
We made the switch to directv and have been very happy. The funny thing is that unlike a lot of people we were pretty happy with TWC. The house we were renting had Directv so we had no choice, but honestly I wouldn't go back. I'm glad I had that push to get us to switch because I probably would have talked about doing it forever but in the end would have balked.

We have not had any weather outages in the first year, price is good, more HD options than TWC. We use DSL for our internet through windstream and it's actually faster than our Roadrunner was.

If anyone does decide to go with Directv find someone who has it already, you and they will both get another 10$ off per month for 1 year on top of the current deal they have.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Does TW have a monopoly in Raleigh? Here in Richmond, Verizon (Fios) competes with Comcast making for great competition and great deals on cable. When I lived in Roanoke, Comcast and Cox split monopoly territories and the packages were 70% higher than Richmond. Is that the way it is in Raleigh?
Yes they do have the monopoly. AT&T U-Verse is sloooooowly making its way in. Until then TWC is taking full advantage of everyone they can -- higher prices, poorer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary