Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:45 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times

Advertisements

Husband might get job offer in Raleigh area - I cant stand living in Northern Va - crowded, traffic, rude people - Do you think Raleigh area is better, same or worse? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:55 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,679 times
I do know that the cost of living in Raleigh is a good bit lower... so that's something that could be a bonus.

Raleigh is more crowded than where I grew up, but its not ridiculously crowded. I don't "do" crowds, and I rarely feel clausterphobic here. There are some traffic areas, but its more around RTP/I-40 and US-1/Capital Blvd. If you adjust your work schedule slightly or plan where you live its not bad at all. There are some outlying areas around Raleigh itself that are definitely less crowded (Knightdale, Garner, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs, Apex, etc).

As far as rudeness goes... it can be hit or miss. Its more of a perception thing. For example - to me the driving around here is a bit more agressive, and some people are downright rude. But coming from NOVA you might not think that. I do come across rude/mean people, but I don't have that overall feeling about the area. It's not as "nice" or "polite" as some Southern towns due to very diverse population from all parts of the country (and world). But we're no NYC either. =0)

Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Husband might get job offer in Raleigh area - I cant stand living in Northern Va - crowded, traffic, rude people - Do you think Raleigh area is better, same or worse?
For now, Raleigh is better than NoVa, but at the rate of growth this area is experiencing (4% a year or more), all three factors you mention are increasing noticeably. Ironically, the folks who are moving here to get away from traffic, crowding, etc are bringing it here.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I promise not to drive much and I am very polite and friendly -

Old 07-09-2010, 12:41 PM

251 posts, read 515,230 times
I lived in NoVA for 9 years until last year and HATED IT!!!! We lived there because my husband's company is based in Fairfax. Grew up in Mississippi, so the rudeness and traffic were not something I was ever used to. OMG. My mother is originally from NC, so I spent a lot of time here when I was growing up and love it. So, when my husband had the opportunity to move us here, we JUMPED AT IT. The good thing about it was, we sold our house in VA in 5 weeks and were able to purchase a wonderful home here. The house we bought here is better than anything we'd ever buy in NoVA. We got a phenomenal deal and we are so happy here. People are polite, the traffic is a little hairy at times but NOTHING like NoVA/DC. There are a lot of transplants here but they have Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Nordstrom (at Southpoint in Durham) like we had in NoVA. They are building a big Whole Foods in Wake Forest but don't know if it's going to be like the one at Fair Lakes--I LOVED that Whole Foods!! Even saw Emeril filming Emeril Green there one day--it's one of the few things I miss about NoVA. The weather is milder, there isn't as much snow, and the spring is warmer and nicer. Overall, I highly recommend it down here. I lived in NoVA too long and we are very very very happy here!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
1) Less traffic
2) Lower cost of living
3) Way less traffic
4) Less ethnic food
5) Alot less traffic
6) Poor public transit
7) Did I mention the traffic doesn't compare?

Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I moved to Raleigh from NOVA in January 2006 and I'd say housing is much less, cost of living is the same, traffic is less (although there are plenty of sticking points during rush hour and few alternate routes) and people are not nearly as rude. Growth here can't really be compared with what went on in NOVA, particularly Loudoun County where I used to live. I do miss a few things - the museums and ethnic restaurants in particular. Overall I'm happy with the move and know that I won't ever be moving back!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Moderator cut: Rude

An example - in my "home away from home" I stay in Crystal City. It's an apartment building controlled by an electronic pass that you wave in front of a sensor.

For the first couple weeks I didn't have one, and I had to wait for the front desk to buzz me through. Well, I was standing there waiting and a guy comes up behind me, buzzes himself through, and walks around me to go through first.

I honestly didn't know what to say.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-09-2010 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Deleted rude comment

Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
Diff between Nova - Raleigh

cost of living is substantially lower
traffic is must less congested
people are friendly and you will notice this off the bat...people make eye contact and say things like Hi and have a nice day

things that are different and not for the good..
retaurant/nightlife is substantially not on par
same amount of bmw's and mercedes benzes cruising the streets

Old 07-09-2010, 03:28 PM

251 posts, read 515,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Moderator cut: Rude

An example - in my "home away from home" I stay in Crystal City. It's an apartment building controlled by an electronic pass that you wave in front of a sensor.

For the first couple weeks I didn't have one, and I had to wait for the front desk to buzz me through. Well, I was standing there waiting and a guy comes up behind me, buzzes himself through, and walks around me to go through first.

I honestly didn't know what to say.

THAT right there is the reason I am so GLAD I moved here! People in NoVA have a very "me first" attitude. Once, I EVEN heard somebody say, "Do you know who I am?" UUUGGGHHHH...and no, I had no freaking idea who that Moderator cut: language was but they were going to have to wait like EVERYBODY else! Jerk! I just wasn't raised like that and I know somewhere, their mamas are embarrassed...and if they aren't, they should be!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-09-2010 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Please use appropriate language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary