Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 04:41 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times

Advertisements

I saw midcentury houses in Raleigh-I wasn't looking for them specificially so I don't remember what streets, but they are there-around that North Hills area maybe?

They sure did build houses well in those times. My parents' house is 1955 and it is a solid little tank! I just moved from a 1955 ranch myself (a rental) and let me tell you, basements aren't all that. It was damp and gross. Maybe an outbuilding would be better to store your stuff in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 05:12 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP059 View Post
The thread about subdivisions sort of sparked this thread. I'm not a fan of subdivisions, but if I could find an area where most of the houses were done in a 1950s/60s modern look, I would be pretty happy w/ it. The sort of houses where a boomerang coffee table and an egg chair would not look out of place. Or you could put a pink retro-style range, and a formica and vinyl kitchenette set in the kitchen. (I hope this is making sense).

I'm not even convinced there are areas in the RTP area with such houses. WHen I've visited, I didn't really see much, if any. Are there specific locales we could look for this type of house? Or did this style of house just not really make much of an impact in NC?
You will find a neighborhood here and there.
Ashebrooke in N. Raleigh. 1970's contemporaries
Saddle Court, N. Raleigh. again, 1970's contemporaries
The key is to find a home for sale in a neighborhood.
I like these homes when they are in areas of mixed styles, as they really stand out.

Here's an absolute Classic! National Historic Register. (Moderator, Please...Not my listing and I don't mean to advertise, just responding with a cool home.)
Mid-Century Historic Property - Bahama, NC, 27503 - 629,000

Click the "Details" tab in the show.
502 John Jones
Bahama
Listed by Pat Bartee, KW Preferred in Durham

Old 06-22-2007, 05:40 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You will find a neighborhood here and there.
Ashebrooke in N. Raleigh. 1970's contemporaries
Saddle Court, N. Raleigh. again, 1970's contemporaries
The key is to find a home for sale in a neighborhood.
I like these homes when they are in areas of mixed styles, as they really stand out.

Here's an absolute Classic! National Historic Register. (Moderator, Please...Not my listing and I don't mean to advertise, just responding with a cool home.)
Mid-Century Historic Property - Bahama, NC, 27503 - 629,000

Click the "Details" tab in the show.
502 John Jones
Bahama
Listed by Pat Bartee, KW Preferred in Durham
Jeez Mike;
That was depressing. I lived in a home that was Mid Century historic. I feel like I am ancient. I need to go, I need to apply another layer of wrinkle cream!!
Liz

Old 06-22-2007, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,187 times
Hi, I realize this post is old, but I will reply to it anyways. There is a place called "Powells place" or "powell Place" in Chatham County that offers new homes with the 50-60's look your looking for. It off of 15-501 in Pittsboro NC across fron the Lowes Hardware center.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:34 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
I found a lot of Chapel Hill to be like this.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 AM

161 posts, read 602,003 times
These neighborhoods inside the Raleigh beltline were developed in the 1950s, and contain some wonderful examples of "contemporary" architecture:
*Country Club Hills, between Glenwood Ave. and Lassiter Mill Rd. (some streets: Alamance, Transylvania, Beaufort) This area is expensive, and there are some landmark examples. Many of the old 50s homes are being torn down and replaced with large new homes.
*Longview Gardens, astride New Bern Avenue. (some streets: King Charles, Lord Berkeley, Clarendon Crescent) This area is not as fashionable because it is on the east side of town, and therefore has not experienced the tear-down phenomenon. The houses are well built and sit on large wooded lots, and are remarkably affordable, probably not for long.
*Woodcrest, off Capital Blvd. (some streets: Fenton, Quail, Barksdale) This area is also well-preserved and just being rediscovered by a new generation. The houses are still affordable now.
*Cameron Village (some streets: Daniels, Smedes Pl., Sutton) This area is in such a great location that it has gotten expensive. Some great architecture.
*Madonna Acres, just east of St. Augustine’s College (main St: Delany Dr.) This pretty little African-American neighborhood has some wonderful 50s houses. Very few go on the market, however; the residents treasure them!
*Pullen Park Terrace, off Western Blvd. (only 2 streets: Kirby & Bilyeu) This tiny neighborhood has houses of various vintages. Here you may find some people who share your tastes. These houses also rarely go on the market.
*All through West Raleigh, west of Oberlin Rd. and between Hillsborough St. to Glenwood Avenue, are intermixed houses from the 20s through the present, with right many from the 50s. Some streets: Beaver Dam, Mayview, Leonard, Coley Forest. Much of this area is fairly expensive, and there is a good bit of tearing down on the more fashionable streets. But there are some well-preserved pockets, and you can find some really cool 50s architecture if you look.
Have you been to Father & Son Antiques on W. Hargett St. in downtown Raleigh? You can furnish your 50s house at that place.
Good luck!

Old 06-22-2007, 07:05 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post
These neighborhoods inside the Raleigh beltline were developed in the 1950s, and contain some wonderful examples of "contemporary" architecture:
*Country Club Hills, between Glenwood Ave. and Lassiter Mill Rd. (some streets: Alamance, Transylvania, Beaufort) This area is expensive, and there are some landmark examples. Many of the old 50s homes are being torn down and replaced with large new homes.
*Longview Gardens, astride New Bern Avenue. (some streets: King Charles, Lord Berkeley, Clarendon Crescent) This area is not as fashionable because it is on the east side of town, and therefore has not experienced the tear-down phenomenon. The houses are well built and sit on large wooded lots, and are remarkably affordable, probably not for long.
*Woodcrest, off Capital Blvd. (some streets: Fenton, Quail, Barksdale) This area is also well-preserved and just being rediscovered by a new generation. The houses are still affordable now.
*Cameron Village (some streets: Daniels, Smedes Pl., Sutton) This area is in such a great location that it has gotten expensive. Some great architecture.
*Madonna Acres, just east of St. Augustine’s College (main St: Delany Dr.) This pretty little African-American neighborhood has some wonderful 50s houses. Very few go on the market, however; the residents treasure them!
*Pullen Park Terrace, off Western Blvd. (only 2 streets: Kirby & Bilyeu) This tiny neighborhood has houses of various vintages. Here you may find some people who share your tastes. These houses also rarely go on the market.
*All through West Raleigh, west of Oberlin Rd. and between Hillsborough St. to Glenwood Avenue, are intermixed houses from the 20s through the present, with right many from the 50s. Some streets: Beaver Dam, Mayview, Leonard, Coley Forest. Much of this area is fairly expensive, and there is a good bit of tearing down on the more fashionable streets. But there are some well-preserved pockets, and you can find some really cool 50s architecture if you look.
Have you been to Father & Son Antiques on W. Hargett St. in downtown Raleigh? You can furnish your 50s house at that place.
Good luck!
As usual, Great Job, Mr. Brown.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:38 AM

50 posts, read 252,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Do you mean something like this (the outside, not the inside. The inside looks a little tame to me in terms of angles)? This is from FMRealty site: MLS Number: 890625 (Snow Camp, NC) or this one MLS Number: 938614 (Pittsboro, NC).

We used to call them contemporaries or George Jetson houses when I was growing up. Now, I see them referred to as mid-century modern homes on HGTV.

Rooflines with sharp angles, small clerestory windows, walls of large windows, angled high ceilings.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Yeah, George Jetson! Mid-Century Modern is the current term for it, was wracking my brain for it.

Thanks for your help all. I am planning a trip down again in the coming 6 weeks or so, now I have a little better idea where to look.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:39 AM

50 posts, read 252,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post
Good luck!
This is perfect! Thank you so much.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:05 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times
Also, maybe try the Starmount neighborhood in Raleigh. It's still pretty affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary