Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 AM

98 posts, read 178,895 times

Advertisements

[quote=frankpc;15033953]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
well spotted about the 640 number but I would suggest that it is a long overdue correction in that the numbering convention for Beltways is that they start with an even number eg the inner beltway is 440, and therefore the outer beltway should be 640, and not 540 as currently identified

there are many cynics who believe that the Turnpike Authority have always had an agenda to make the whole of 540 a Toll Road and one factor that would help support their cause would be to re-number the higway and propose a number of cosmetic upgrades as a means of justifying their actions

NCDOT: Pdf Document

While I agree that I540 should be renamed I640 when the loop is complete I thought the change of the toll section to NC540 made that no longer possible. (Note the .pdf is dated 2004, before the creation of the NC540 name to make the change to a toll road easier)

Either way, it will functionally be a loop - which I 440 really is not as its currently signed.

Frank

So what I don't see on any of these maps and proposals is a timeline for construction. We are MOVING TO RALEIGH - YIPPEE! and are trying to determine where we'll live. 540/640 completion will do wonders for the area.....

Have you or anybody heard any rumors about a timeline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas33 View Post
We are relocating to the area within 60 days and have not found a home yet. Our price range is 450 to 550K. We originally liked the cary area due to location to husbands job on Davis dr in RTP. We looked at many beautiful homes and know to stay away from neighborhoods negativily effected by 540 but was wondering what neighborhoods my be effected positivily. Meaning, not close enough to hear the highway but will be close for commuting.

So info:

My husband and I are in our mid 30's with twin 3 year.
Looking for min. 4 bed in a family friendly neighborhood but would like at least .40 acre.
price range again: 450K-550K.
I think some of the n'hoods in South Cary will benefit when 540 comes through. I think The Park At West Lake will be one of them. 540 Will be close but not too close. Jamison Park is another although I think 540 may be a bit too close. However, my understanding is that this may not happen for another THIRTEEN YEARS!

I think the DOT website has a time frame but I have known those timeframes to be off by YEARS! For example...we were told that Strickland Road would be widened back in 1990. It was 13 years LATER that it was started.

Vicki

Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,180 times
Current target for completion of the sections currently under construction is 2012-that includes the Western Wake Expressway which will extend the current 540 south from its terminus at NC 55 about 12 miles to the NC 55 Bypass in Holly Springs roughly due east of the intersection of OLD NC 55 and Sunset Lake Road.
The southern leg does not currently have funding in place but it there have been some rumblings about a 2015 completion date. Not holding my breath.
FWIW the most recent section of 540 to open (I-40 to NC55) was completed ahead of schedule and it appears that Raleigh-Durham Roadbuilders (the private contractor in charge of the current construction project) is running wide open on the Western Leg. I'm sure there are incentives in place to finish ahead of schedule.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,186,812 times
I think the neighborhoods in the Kildaire Farm/Ten Ten Rd area will be positively affected. Just about a mile down Kildaire to 540 which will have an interchange. Far enough away to not have the highway in the backyard, yet close enough to easily access it. Plus the lots around here tend to be larger than west Cary. Jamison Park (I've seen listings touting "will not back up to 540") and Brookshire Manor will flank 540 as it cuts across West Lake Rd. From maps, Wieland's The Woods at Sunset Oaks will be about 3/4 mile from 540. Weiland's Woodcreek will have 540 run right along the subdivision and past the clubhouse per maps.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
I think the neighborhoods in the Kildaire Farm/Ten Ten Rd area will be positively affected. Just about a mile down Kildaire to 540 which will have an interchange. Far enough away to not have the highway in the backyard, yet close enough to easily access it. Plus the lots around here tend to be larger than west Cary. Jamison Park (I've seen listings touting "will not back up to 540") and Brookshire Manor will flank 540 as it cuts across West Lake Rd. From maps, Wieland's The Woods at Sunset Oaks will be about 3/4 mile from 540. Weiland's Woodcreek will have 540 run right along the subdivision and past the clubhouse per maps.
Along with The Park At West Lake, I do agree that Sunset Oaks and Sunset Ridge, would be positively affected. Also, West Lake and any other n'hoods in that area of South Cary.

Vicki

Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,695,879 times
Imo if you want to benefit from existing 540 and avoid the toll with a good neighborhood, N Raleigh might be a good place to look. Stonebridge is older homes on larger lots, but well established with a community pool, easy access to much of Raleigh and RTP, and no toll-540. Lots of good real estate like what you are looking for along Norwood and Durant roads.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 AM

120 posts, read 236,287 times
Thanks, we have looked at a few in North Raleigh and loved them but just have not yet been as comfortable with knowing the neighborhoods.

I think originally, I was not looking further into any a little farther away but Im thinking I may open up Apex and Holly Springs more.

Thanks for all your help.

Another kind of unrelated question: The house in Weldon Ridge. I see a lot of post about the builder bankrupt. Should that be a concern for a resale house in an already established area?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:53 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,180 times
Here is your concern with Weldon Ridge-
If the home is in the Estates section (The largest lots and floorplans) to be quite honest that section has been the weak spot in the subdivision due to price points. Resales have not appreciated in there and the section is less than 50% complete. Orleans was forced to cut pricing in there in 2008-2009 because they simply could not compete above $500K. John Wieland ran circles around them in Southbridge for more money despite the site plan being a complete travesty compared to Weldon Ridge.
If those lots end up in the hands of a different builder who begins putting up lesser homes (which would appear likely at this point) your resale value will suffer.
As a former Orleans homeowner I can say that the home that Orleans was building in Cary Park from 2002-2006 is a FAR superior product to the homes they built in Weldon Ridge. The cost-cutting is obvious in terms of materials and fit/finish.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 AM

120 posts, read 236,287 times
Thank you for that info. I don't recall there being any new construction by the house we looked at? We only did one house hunting trip so we will definitely go back and take a look. Thanks so much

Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
Won't all of Western Cary benefit from 540 by taking cars of their other North/South arteries toward RTP? I'd think that, when 540 opens, both 55 and Davis will be easier to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary