Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,204,634 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of joining a Gym in North Raleigh. Snap Fitness is a 24/7 access gym that does month to month no contract memberships for $34.95/month. O2 Fitness is a traditional Gym (requires annual contract?) but I don't know how much it costs to join or what the sign-up fee is. Can anybody share their experience with either of these Gyms and if possible share what you pay to be a member at O2 fitness? Thanks!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,038,954 times
I pay $39.00 a month at 02 in Cary, but I've been a member for 5 years, so I'm pretty sure it's probably gone up since then. They usually have various specials for the sign up fee, so I would just call and ask what it is right now. They also charge all of their members a $25.00 facilities fee every year. They do have a no-contract plan, but the monthly fee is significantly higher.
I think where you join and how much you're willing to pay it depends on what you want out of your gym. O2 is a bit on the indulgent side, which I like, but if all you care about is a clean bathroom, nice weight room and a variety of cardio equipment, then I think just about any gym will do.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:28 AM

6 posts, read 30,732 times
Hi,

I am a member of Snap fitness in Pittsboro, so I can't speak to the one in N. Raleigh, but I have been very happy with Snap in general. It is 34.95 for a month-to-month contract. For me, having the flexibility was important. The one in Pittsboro is never crowded, and the machines are brand new and there is never a wait. I would think the Snap in N Raleigh would be the same in terms of equipment. Plus having 24-hour card access is great, espcially for people like me who work out at different times of the day. The one complaint I would have is that there is no locker room (hence, no showers), but for me, that is minor. Hope this helps somewhat!

Sarah

Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,945,340 times
I'm use the snap fitness in Chapel Hill. Benefits are the hours (i go when the kids are asleep, either at 5 am or 10 pm), the month to month membership, and (so far) the small number of people there when I work out. I suspect that if I worked out at 7-8am or 5-7 pm, I wouldn't like it. The one I go to has limited cardiovascular equipment (3 bikes, 4 ellipticals), a great selection of dumbells but no free weights, and a limited but adequate selection of weight machines. I'm not a big fan of the programming on the cardiovascular equipment, pretty primitive.

So, my assessment would be if you want to work out at weird hours, or want a simple gym close to your house, Snap is adequate.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. I am going to check out the gyms today, but this information is a big help. I appreciate it.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:06 PM

286 posts, read 747,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thank you everyone for your input. I am going to check out the gyms today, but this information is a big help. I appreciate it.
Keep us posted. I am interested in your findings. Have you checked out Rapid Fitness at North Ridge?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
Keep us posted. I am interested in your findings. Have you checked out Rapid Fitness at North Ridge?
So I visited both 02 Fitness and Snap Fitness. I am only considering these two gyms because they are both located near where I live and on my route to and from work.

First off - I think they are both excellent gyms and could be perfect based on individual preference. Because I am on a budget I was looking at paying monthly and not up front so all costs I list below are based on that.

Here is the skinny:

Snap Fitness (North Raleigh Location in Falls River Shopping Center)

Hours: 24/7 access

Fees: $25 sign-up fee, $34.95 a month. No contract.

Info: Nice gym, all new equipment. Mainly cardio, cycles, and treadmill. No lockeroom. No classes. Good Deal and very conveinet!

O2 Fitness (North Raleigh Location at I-540 / Falls of Neuse Road)

Hours: 5:30am-10:00pm M-Th, 5:30am-9:00pm Fri, 8:00am-7:00pm Sat-Sun

Fees: $49 sign-up, $25 annual facility fee, $44/month with 12month contract (Note: $44/month membership does not allow me to use other O2 fitness facilities, use the towel service, or child care service. They have a $49 and $54 dollar/month programs that include those services).

Info: Big Gym! Tons of cardio, treadmills, cycles, group classes (included), free weights. Cool smaller rooms set off to the side with dark lighting and flat screen TVs for those who want a little quiet while excercising. Many pieces of equipment allow you to hook up earphones to listen to musc/tv and hook up/download info from Ipod. Room for spin classes with 20 bikes. Nice clean locker room. Friendly staff. I received no pressure to sign up. Had a nice tour, got the info I requested and they provided me with a free 7 day pass and told me to let them know if I wanted to sign up after I use up the pass.

All in all I like both of these gyms. While the upfront costs are a litte more for O2 i found the $9 difference in monthly fees surprising (I thought O2 would be more) since O2 offers a whole lot. In the end I am favoring O2 because I like the idea of having access to classes, a locker room to change, and the fact that they have more equipment. However, I can seel the appeal of Snap Fitness too, but the conveinence is not as strong "must have" for me.

I'm going to give O2 a 7 day try and then decide, but so far I am very impressed with the place.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,051,285 times
I've heard nothing about bad things about Rapid Fitness as a company. I would never do business with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post

Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,649,720 times
I belong to O2 fitness off of Creedmoor & Strickland. I love the gym. I am actually on a month-to-month contract for $44.00. I had no sign up fee (they always have specials so you may want to wait). I signed up in Winter. Funny.. they never denied me towel service, Anyway even if you sign up for a year contract, you can suspend it for a few months (in case you can't go for some reason) and pick it up again.. which I liked. Although it actually was a little less for a year contract.. but I hate being locked into anythng so I chose month to month. You'll like it. There are great trainers there too. I believe you get maybe 2 free sessions with a personal trainer when signing... at least I did.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Just got back from my first "official" visit to the O2 fitness gym using my free 7-day trial. I was impressed. It wasn't overly busy for a Saturday morning. really enjoy all the high-tech aspects of the running/biking equipment (hooking up your ipod and/or watching ESPN while running). I may try one of their classes later this week. My wife came with me and she is looking forward to taking one of their zumba classes.

I found a $0 enrollment cupoun in the ValPak mailer yesterday so goodbye $49 sign-up fee! I'm going to check out the gym a few more times this week at different times of the day to see how busy it gets, but so far I am very impressed and thinking I will sign up after my trial expires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary