Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 PM

351 posts, read 768,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The article is not making it clear enough that the turn which many are saying will result in "resegregation" is being led by two Northeastern transplants with names Margiotta and Tedesco (I dare you to find a Southerner with either last name anywhere). So your mention of "Klansmen without the hoods" is a backhanded swipe at the stereotype of the "old South" when in fact it's just the opposite here. Wake Cty and NC are no doubt getting painted as "racist" and "KKK" in the minds of folks around the nation when in fact it's two NY/NJ transplants (one who's been here only 3 years) who are behind this whole "plan". The article does make some mentions of the "carpetbagger" term but I wish they would make it more clear of the irony that the old, native-led boards were the ones in favor of integration while it's a couple of Northeasterners who have put us in the news over resgregation this time.
Dude, you need some fresh material. This routine is getting old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:41 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,041,614 times
It's worked remarkably well in Charlotte, hasn't it? (It HASN'T.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-elect Nobody View Post
Affirmative. Bringing Wake county into the modern era by eliminating shameful policies of the past that eliminated parental choice is a good thing. We were one of the last places that continued busing.

If people continue to fight progress and work to ensure failure, then the result may be failure.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,879,318 times
Quote:
Affirmative. Bringing Wake county into the modern era by eliminating shameful policies of the past that eliminated parental choice is a good thing. We were one of the last places that continued busing.

If people continue to fight progress and work to ensure failure, then the result may be failure.
Problem is in this case that one persons progress is another persons failure. You now have two sides each determined to declare failure for the other. Sorta like the national chicken coming home to roost in Wake. Does this mean failure is inevitable as neither side will rest until he other has failed? Once the Gauntlet was throw down it appears there was not turning back. Sometimes victory can be diminished by the words you use when you declare victory!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 PM

161 posts, read 109,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
It's worked remarkably well in Charlotte, hasn't it?
It is the best option everywhere. Denying parents time with their own children is not good. Denying children the opportunity to go to school with children they hang with in their own neighborhood is not good. Wasting resources and expanding our carbon footprint by busing all over creation is not good.

Schools should reflect the make-up of the neighborhood. This allows for the most natural life flow and puts the control squarely where it belongs. In the parents hands.

Just because some people want to play social matchmaker does not mean parent's and children's rights should be taken away. Busing has been an ugly stain on our country's history and has been abandoned almost everywhere. As a minority, I do not want my children being bused to a white school. I don't want white kids being bused to our school. Schools should be made up of what is in the neighborhood, whatever that happens to be. I lean more in the direction of neighborhood schools and then work on the schools that need improving.

I am all about individual rights and I am appalled at how easily some people are willing to hand over their rights to someone else. Giving in to busing is giving up you right as a parent to bring up your child in the way that you wish to. It is not up to the school system to do social experiments. Just teach the kids how to read, write and do math. The rest is the parent's responsibility.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM

3,999 posts, read 10,801,134 times
Everyone is free to live in whatever neighborhood they want to/can afford. Given that minorities are not the only people that are poor, the real issue is one ethnicity or another dominating a certain neighborhood which in turns creates that schools population. If we as Americans chose to live in a more diversified neighborhood, or willing to move into a neighborhood that lacks it, the school board would be taken out of the equation. The root problem is with us as a species. We seem to have (generally speaking) an inherent mistrust of anyone not just like us. We are all basically the same, we just evolved in different climates/geographical regions that produced some varied physical characteristics. Most everyone wants a bit of happiness, opportunity for their children, and a modicum of personal success. I wish that concept was easier for everyone to act upon.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
There are Italian Americans in the south who have been here for generations, but those I know have shortened, Anglicized surnames. That is a change their ancestors made so that they could fit in here. That is because Italian Americans faced discrimination in this country, and in some regions (where there were less of them) more than others. I have read plenty of atttacks, as well as thinly veiled jokes and nasty little asides on Tedesco and Margiotta based on their ancestry, and it disgusts me. There is plenty to talk about if we stick to their politics.
To be clear, I was not attacking them based on their names; simply saying that (for the sake of the national article) it should be evident to folks out in Peoria (etc) that people with names like this are not "good old boy" Southerners, which many of the comments I'm reading about this article (being perpetrated in many sources) imply.

Quote:
You don't expect a journalist in this day and age to highlight one's "native" status, do you? Thank goodness, the media tries hard to steer away from stereotyping of groups of people, whether they be recent immigrants or recent transplants.
In this case, a big part of the irony of this story is "a town in NC voting against integration (but it's not what you think!)" i.e. it's not the local "rednecks" overturning the more integrated policy, rather, recent transplants from the (supposedly more "enlightened on racial issues") North. That is the opposite of what most people would initially think when seeing "NC to overturn integration policy" and THAT was my point. It has nothing to do with stereotyping, other than to address the stereotype that most people are going to have when they see a Southern state and "overturning racial integration" in the same headline. The fact that here, it's precisely the opposite of what one might believe, is what makes the story particularly interesting, and I was just saying that they should have highlighted this fact more.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilms0309 View Post
Maybe Wake Co. could use the money they save from busing kids across the county to fix some potholes.
That would be nice and would be a much better use of taxpayer funds.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
In this case, a big part of the irony of this story is "a town in NC voting against integration (but it's not what you think!)" i.e. it's not the local "rednecks" overturning the more integrated policy, rather, recent transplants from the (supposedly more "enlightened on racial issues") North. That is the opposite of what most people would initially think when seeing "NC to overturn integration policy" and THAT was my point. It has nothing to do with stereotyping, other than to address the stereotype that most people are going to have when they see a Southern state and "overturning racial integration" in the same headline. The fact that here, it's precisely the opposite of what one might believe, is what makes the story particularly interesting, and I was just saying that they should have highlighted this fact more.
I understand the point you are making but you are off in one aspect. They will not be looking at the bad southerners as doing away with integration. They will look at it as the way behind the times southerners finally caught up with the times and did away with a forced busing program that most of the country already abandoned. They will not be looking at it as something negative other than the fact it took us so long to get with it.

You have to understand the north used to bus just for this reason and did away with it many years ago. It was a failure then and is a failure now. They will just look at us as being so ignorant that it took us this long to figure it out.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:22 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,879,318 times
Quote:
I understand the point you are making but you are off in one aspect. They will not be looking at the bad southerners as doing away with integration. They will look at it as the way behind the times southerners finally caught up with the times and did away with a forced busing program that most of the country already abandoned. They will not be looking at it as something negative other than the fact it took us so long to get with it.

You have to understand the north used to bus just for this reason and did away with it many years ago. It was a failure then and is a failure now. They will just look at us as being so ignorant that it took us this long to figure it out.
Folks will look at it many different ways and they will all be spelled WAKE.
Folks will compare many other counties with the one in the headlines spelled WAKE.
Perhaps WAKE will become the modern icon! It certainly would provide a great springboard for folks on either side to move on to a bigger arena.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:28 AM

98 posts, read 178,359 times
Curious....

has there ever been a "school of choice" policy in the county or within a specific district. Those that want to change schools can, but it is up to the parents to get them there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary