Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 PM

9 posts, read 14,593 times

Advertisements

So my family and I live in the baltimore Md area, and we are sick of the area. We hate the winters and want some place that is a little more moderate during the winter and fall. Anyway...the economy is really sucky here also so that is another reason we are looking to leave. I am really just looking for some info on what it's like there. Is it fast paced or slow? Are there any areas that are "high crime" or not as safe? ( i have a teenage daughter that is in junior high) Any schools to stay away from? Is there stuff to do? Is the cost of living high? We are planning a trip soon for 3 days to take a look around and maybe see some houses. What about the taxes? We pay out the ying yang for taxes here, is it high there?? Anyway, any general information about life there/ weather would be great! Thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Bringing employment with?

Depending on which county you move to, as to where the crime, drugs and violence is.

Each county has areas worse than others, and schools can be the same way.

COL is better than some and worse than others. I hear SC is better when it comes to taxes. I believe the gas is lower there?
Property taxes are lower than many northern areas.

It has been HOT and HUMID this summer. Typically it is Hot and humid most summers. More so this year.

Life is good and there is iced tea.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,047 times
I have lived here a whole week now, so I guess I am an expert now
I moved here from Richmond VA. Unemployment is a problem here - rate is higher than most states (probably higher than Maryland), so you definitely need a job - that's the most important thing. As for locations to avoid, I have heard the immediate south side, and have heard some say avoid the east side (knightdale) although a colleague of mine's daughter and her son live there and they love it, so I guess it depends.
Cost of living is higher than Richmond (don't know COL in Baltimore) except housing - housing, with the possible exception of Cary are probably much lower. Property tax seems pretty low here compared to Richmond, so probably much lower than Baltimore. Food, gas, car tax, state taxes are higher here than Richmond, but may be the same or lower than Baltimore. As to weather, it's definitely better than Baltimore, as Baltimore gets the worst of both summer and winter - hot humid in summer and oftentimes cold snowy in winter. Here, you get the hot humid, but not so much snowy - average 7 inches of snow which is probably 1/3 of Baltimore (Richmond average about 15 or so) and average Jan high is about 50 degress, versus probably low 40s for Baltimore. It ain't FL, but a little better than where you're at.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,600 times
Knightdale gets a bad rap - but we love it. However... we don't have kids yet. I do know that Knightdale High School is having some issues right now. There is a group of parents, Knightdale 100, that are being active and trying to get changes in the school. They have the attention of the school board chair and there are some discussions on making it a magnet school.

Some areas move faster, and some slower (like I-40 at 5:30pm...). I think you'll find it slower after coming from a much bigger city. Our house values and property tax is lower, but its highly likely that our sales tax and our gas tax is higher. Some say food costs more here - but I haven't lived in another state, so I have no idea.

Weather is... weird. =0) The saying goes that if you don't like it, wait 15min. This is most true in the spring and fall. Our summers are hot and extremely humid. Pop-up thunderstorms are a normal occurence (most years). Every so many summers we go through a drought, and every few winters we'll have a pretty cold one. You can almost guarantee that during the winter we'll have a few random days that will creep up to the 60s or 70s. This is what keeps me in NC.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying that our unemployment rate is worse than other state's... (MI anyone?) as we are continually ranked in magazines as an area that is weathering the storm fairly well. HOWEVER that doesn't mean we don't have problems, and I do recommend having a job lined up before you move.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 12,616 times
Default knightdale 100

Here is the website for knigtdale100 for more info: Knightdale 100

Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
We moved here from Laurel MD last year.

We bought twice the house for half the cost of the same in MD. I got a big pay raise moving here so that certainly helped as well.

We moved to Fuquay Varina which is about 30 minutes south of Durham, and about 20 minutes from Raleigh. The town here is small and much slower than MD was. My wife is from a small town in Ky so she loves loves loves it here. She didn't enjoy the rat race in MD at all lol

All places you consider moving to have good and bad areas.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 13,861 times
I live in Fuquay Varina and really like it. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have, if you are still looking (not sure since its' been a couple of months).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary