U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 06:08 PM

75 posts, read 293,344 times
Default Starting School Age for NC

Is it true that the governor is going to sign a law to move the cutoff for entering school from October 16 to August 31? One of the reasons we decided to accept a relocation to NC was that our daughter (born 9/20) would be able to start school when she's five instead of waiting until six. I cannot help but think that this is to help stem overcrowding, and I am appalled that if that is the case that it is more important to delay some children's public education instead of finding a solution that fosters the educational progress of all children. I will be so disappointed and disheartened if that is the way the state government tries to improve numbers. I know overcrowding is a concern, but I cannot believe such a "simple" solution that impacts a great deal of children is an acceptable solution.

My wife and I wrote the governor's office, and someone responded to her and said basically, "Thanks, but he's made up his mind already." I am not impressed with the state government so far at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 06:15 PM

3,124 posts, read 8,721,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy_joe View Post
Is it true that the governor is going to sign a law to move the cutoff for entering school from October 16 to August 31? One of the reasons we decided to accept a relocation to NC was that our daughter (born 9/20) would be able to start school when she's five instead of waiting until six. I cannot help but think that this is to help stem overcrowding, and I am appalled that if that is the case that it is more important to delay some children's public education instead of finding a solution that fosters the educational progress of all children. I will be so disappointed and disheartened if that is the way the state government tries to improve numbers. I know overcrowding is a concern, but I cannot believe such a "simple" solution that impacts a great deal of children is an acceptable solution.

My wife and I wrote the governor's office, and someone responded to her and said basically, "Thanks, but he's made up his mind already." I am not impressed with the state government so far at all.
Most states have similar rules...so it's not like NC is making a change for no reason. When my daughter started school in Ohio, they had a Sepember 1st date. In fact, from what I've read, NC has one of the latest cut-off dates currently.

Also, since only a few areas are overcrowded....something tells me that is not why this is going through.

Now for the kicker.....it doesn't take effect until 2009. Two years away.....how old is your daughter now that this is a concern?

newsobserver.com | New school age cutoff: Aug. 31 (http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/612949.html - broken link)

Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 PM

My daughter is two, so yes it would affect her, which is why I am so disenfranchised. I understand other states have similar rules, which is one of the reasons why we considered it an option to move here and ruled out other locations. It's just sad to me because of all the fuss about year round versus traditional, and the courts get involved to make everyone happy. But, it really doesn't affect when a child is able to get an education -- just affects scheduling, timing, conveniences, etc. But this is something that actually prevents children like my daughter from attending school for a year...a major thing in my mind as a parent.

*sigh*

I guess there's nothing I can do about it now...

Old 06-22-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
My daughter is two, so yes it would affect her, which is why I am so disenfranchised. I understand other states have similar rules, which is one of the reasons why we considered it an option to move here and ruled out other locations. It's just sad to me because of all the fuss about year round versus traditional, and the courts get involved to make everyone happy. But, it really doesn't affect when a child is able to get an education -- just affects scheduling, timing, conveniences, etc. But this is something that actually prevents children like my daughter from attending school for a year...a major thing in my mind as a parent.

*sigh*

I guess there's nothing I can do about it now...
There are reasons for it that have everything to do with education.

You don't even know yet if your child will be ready for school at that early age. My daughter missed the cut off...and I thought about asking for an exception at the time. Now looking back, I am very glad I didn't.

Believe me....it didn't hurt my child...she's still at the top of her classes and in the AG program.

Nothing is preventing your child from going to preschool....so it's not her brain is going to lay fallow.....or at least it doesn't have to.

Kindergarden these days is academic...it's changed radically. I for one and happy that NC is choosing to look at what goes into a good educational experience for young children....and getting kids into school when they are too young to handle it, along with older kids, is simply not ideal.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:54 PM

In the article that is posted/linked above...It's funny that the expert evidence seems to argue against pushing the date to 8/31...although I readily admit that there are probably experts on both sides of the fence who can present solid arguments.

The thing that really aggravates me is that soon my child will not have the right to attend school at an age if she is ready. That is being taken away. Desdemona, I believe you are correct in that all children are not ready, and my daughter may not be. But the fact that she will not be allowed to start is what is appalling. Now if there is an exception process included in the law, I will be more understanding because then -- at least -- she would have the opportunity if needed. But taking away the ability to choose or participate is a huge concern for me.

And the juxtaposition of this issue with the traditional/year-round issue is what is most ridiculous for me. Let's make sure no one in school currently is inconvenienced...which I can appreciate...but let's make sure everyone who does not meet the artificial deadline of X is not able to begin a public education in NC.

I have to say, I appreciate you sharing your experience about your daughter, and I am happy that she is successful. (and btw, I love your screenname...so Shakespearean that it makes me smile every time I see it)

Old 06-22-2007, 09:47 PM

3,223 posts, read 6,000,791 times
I know it seems terrible that she will be almost 6 when she goes to kindergarten, but truthfully it will only help her. She will be more confident and emotionally ready when she does go and will probably flourish because of the extra time she has had to prepare. Also, studies show she will be less likely to get into trouble in the teenage years because she will be more mature. Like the poster said above, an academic pre-school will keep her mind active till kindergarten.

One of my kids missed the school cut off by 3 days and it took me a good 6 months to come to terms with it. I was he** bent on getting an exception till I stated reading about the benefits that come with being the oldest rather than the youngest in the class.

Plus, once you have kids time seems to go on permanent fast-forward. Before you know it she will be in high school. Think of this extra time she is home and still your little girl as a treasured gift.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:23 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,669,128 times
I actually do not think this cutoff is a good idea. I really think it should be the parents' decision, not the state's.

In my experience-three of my children were born after this NC cutoff and so were four at the beginning of school (I currently live in a state where the cutoff is Dec 31st.) My December-born child is currently a 9th grade honors student. Yes, he is the youngest in his class, someone has to be youngest, lol.

My point is, we as parents are the best suited to decide if our kids are ready for school, not the state. While I am pleased with my research into Wake schools, and am looking forward to my kids attending them when we finally get to Raleigh-I just don't agree with this rule. My youngest is an Aug baby so she'll make the cutoff (for next year) thankfully.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:28 PM

2,245 posts, read 5,711,077 times
Quote:
The thing that really aggravates me is that soon my child will not have the right to attend school at an age if she is ready. That is being taken away. Desdemona, I believe you are correct in that all children are not ready, and my daughter may not be. But the fact that she will not be allowed to start is what is appalling. Now if there is an exception process included in the law, I will be more understanding because then -- at least -- she would have the opportunity if needed. But taking away the ability to choose or participate is a huge concern for me.
There is a process for early entry to kindergarten, but it is through the base schools. FAQ: I've heard that the law allows children that will be 4 1/2 years old by October 16, to be admitted to Kindergarten if they pass a test. When can I schedule my child? I haven't read anything that indicates that the new law takes away this process.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
My point is, we as parents are the best suited to decide if our kids are ready for school, not the state.
That isn't always the case. I've seen parents that are sure their child is the next Einstien and ready for school at age three even if they aren't. Heck, most parents think their kids are the best, brightest and smartest. That goes with parenthood.

I do think there need to be guidelines to keep parents like that, no matter as well meaning and caring they may be....from putting their kid into school before the the child is actually ready. Even the smartest young 4 year old is going to be different then the late birthday 5 year olds...even the average ones.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:56 PM

2,828 posts, read 7,926,258 times
You can always appeal if you think it will be best for your daughter. I would suggest the preschool route and see what her teachers think by the time she is that age. The preschool my kids attend has a "transitional kindergarten class" that meets every day, which may be a good option.

On a personal note, I was one of those "youngest" in the class kids. My parents both taught at the private school that I went to and my guess it was easier for me to start kindergarten since they were both there!!! Anyhow, I started at 4, my birthday is at the end of november....that being said, in many ways the longer I was in school the more I didn't like being the youngest! Don't get me wrong, I loved school, and I did fine academically, but the academic side is just that, one side of the coin.

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary