Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times

Advertisements

I think you need to get that property line issue sorted out. You need to get a survey and mark it, because if you don't, you're going to have all kinds of trouble in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiledog View Post
Wow, that is insane.

I feel sorry for you having a neighbor like that.

You know what, I think a large holly bush would look lovely in your yard. Right in front of the dish.

Good luck.
EXACTLY what I was going to post. Once Shelby establishes the property line, if it really is on his property, plant shrubbery...signal-interfering shrubbery.

...if it's on her property, that thing needs to come down.

Either way - do not let this guy intimidate you. Also - make him maintain that section himself if it's his!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Oh Shelby please don't give up. Don't let this jerk scare you. It could turn around and bite you in the end. I'm not sure what the legal term is but if you knowingly let someone use your property for some period of time, it can eventually be claimed to belong to him. Surely it wouldn't cost too much to have just this one boundary surveyed to find out for sure. then you can rest easy that you have handled it the best way.

Nobody understands better than I how horrible it is to confront a neighbor or anybody. I'll cross the street to avoid confrontation but this may impact your property value and of course how you use this property. I know how horrible it is to have bad blood between neighbors but again this might be more serious than you imagine. If you don't continue to maintain this property and he does not take it up then it could turn into an unsightly mess.

Good luck and thanks for the message.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:44 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Definitely get a survey. Not just for the dish issue, but for property title issues. If you ever go to sell your house, it will be important. It can also be an issue for any future liability claims. If someone is injured in that spot, you can bet your sweet bippy that your neighbor will suddenly claim it's your property after all.

Do not let this guy intimidate you - that's what he's counting on. People will treat you the way you let them treat you, and you're letting him treat you like crap. Don't worry about bad blood - it's already there. There's no reason why you should have to cave on this.

In the meantime, I'd be sure to move that trailer up a foot.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
I'm all for pulling up the trailer. I would also "decorate" it.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
based on your neighbors reaction you need to verify the exact location of the property line ,and if he is on your property write to him advising he has 48 hours to remove his sattelite dish or you will remove it. if it is his property, as he thinks, then you just saved yourself some yard work

Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1234 View Post
Due to his threat, I'm not going to pursue this anymore to find out if this thing is a few inches over the property line or not. I've given up. I sincerely hope though that every storm we get through here messes up his reception!
Can I pursue it for you? lol

I hate people like that. I'd have the city out there as soon as I could to mark the property lines. I'd take pictures, hell even video of the entire thing. I'd then give him one more warning before pulling it up and chucking (er... nicely placing) the thing over the property line.

If he had a problem and decided to make good on his thread I'd have ton of documentation ready to shove in his face.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
EXACTLY what I was going to post. Once Shelby establishes the property line, if it really is on his property, plant shrubbery...signal-interfering shrubbery.
...and if while planting the shovel just accidentally happens to sever the line running from the dish to the house... well... purely accidental.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 AM

131 posts, read 725,824 times
The legal term for taking another person's property by simply using or maintaining it is "adverse possession". It takes about 7 to 10 years to establish adverse possession (depends on the state), but it could happen. If the land is legally yours, but this guy claims it at his, uses it, maintains it, etc. and you never put up a fight about it, then he could technically claim it as his property after a number of years. This happens easily when a neighbor puts up a fence that exceeds the property line, claims the property as his or her own, and as long as no one protests, it will legally become his or hers after the statutory number of years. I suggest you sort this out now so it does not become an issue later on, especially if you decide to sell the house down the road. I wouldn't hesitate to pay $200 or so to have a survey of the property line just to force this creep to remove the dish.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
based on your neighbors reaction you need to verify the exact location of the property line ,and if he is on your property write to him advising he has 48 hours to remove his sattelite dish or you will remove it. if it is his property, as he thinks, then you just saved yourself some yard work

I agree. However, as soon as I found out it is on my property it would come down. I also wouldn't give it back, either. I would destroy it with a sledgehammer. I would also try to do this while he's at home and outside so he could watch me do it. But that's just me.
Now if it turns out the neighbor is correct and the dish is on his property remember the saying "Great fences make great neighbors.". I would immediately order some Green Giants and get them growing to shield my property from this prick.

Thuja Green Giant, Evergreen Trees, Thuja Plicata Arborvitae Trees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary