Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:32 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Come on over to the East side! East Raleigh from near downtown to Knightdale and Wendell has homes in that range. Planters Walk.
It's important to note that the area immediately east of Raleigh has some of the highest crime rates in the area. I'm not referring to Knightdale/Wendell, but there is a stretch in between downtown Raleigh and there that is not that favorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
You will find if you provide more detailed information you will get better recommendations on this forum. Wake County is over 800 sqaure miles and that is just one of three large counties that makes up the Triangle Area. Sharing the general area of where your job will be located will be important if you want specific feedback on neighborhoods to look into.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 AM

171 posts, read 430,244 times
Raleigh is a city. Certain blocks have higher crime rates, other blocks have virtually no crime. A quality affordable home can be found in areas of Raleigh that are largely thought of in one light, but in reality, are something different. These neighborhoods are also frequently undervalued, if that's one of your motivations.

Exactly where these neighborhoods are, is for you to figure out. You will find plenty of suggestions from those of us in affordable neighborhoods and plenty of other people telling you why they chose to live in a more expensive part of town.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever pay more than $150,000 for a house. If I do, it will be close to 2000 square feet on an acre near downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
It's important to note that the area immediately east of Raleigh has some of the highest crime rates in the area. I'm not referring to Knightdale/Wendell, but there is a stretch in between downtown Raleigh and there that is not that favorable.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:43 AM

51 posts, read 128,455 times
Where do the Yuppies live?

Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Glenwood South is popular but expensive..

Old 07-24-2010, 10:53 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You can most likely find a home in the Brentwood subdivision in North Raleigh. It's convenient to everything -- not far from downtown, and because it's "between the beltlines," it's easy to get anywhere. It's about two blocks from the 440 beltline. The homes are vintage sixties, so you'll find good-sized yards, streetlights, and sidewalks, all of which are rare in newer subdivisions, strangely enough.

Brentwood has a nice park and plenty of roads for walking/running/jogging/dog walking.
Are their restrictive covenants in Brentwood? I would love to live in a nice neighborhood where I could have a few chickens and still be in the city.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyneiman View Post
They are spread out over the 800 square miles that make up wake county. You can also find them across Orange and Durham County. Even in Johnston County.

Again, if you could share a little more ino like what town/area your J.O.B. will be located in you will get more helpful responses.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Default ha

There are at least two homes with chickens in Brentwood!

We would have chickens if we didn't have dogs that would find them far too interesting.

As far as being near a job, as a contractor living in Brentwood, the closest I've been to work in Raleigh has literally been 3 minutes, and then at another job, 7 minutes. I've also worked in Cary, Morrisville, Durham, Youngsville, and Zebulon. It's never taken more than 30 minutes to get to any of them. Cary is 15 to 20 minutes away.

The only place I'd find it a bit tedious to travel to every day is Chapel Hill. But I'd do it if I had to. (I just checked Mapquest. It says that from my house to the center of Chapel Hill, it's 40 minutes. No problemo.)

(That "ha" in the title bar is a typo. Have no idea how that got there. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Are their restrictive covenants in Brentwood? I would love to live in a nice neighborhood where I could have a few chickens and still be in the city.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 07-24-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyneiman View Post
By the way, Leroy, Yuppies are not a protected class!

Vicki

Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 PM

39 posts, read 194,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Come on over to the East side! East Raleigh from near downtown to Knightdale and Wendell has homes in that range. Planters Walk. pool community, in Knightdale is an established neighborhood with generally larger lots, ranchers and 2 story. We are 10 mins from downtown on the weeknd and 20 mins wkday rush hr. Some subdivision here are on 2 lane country rds but we can see Raleigh's skyline from the hills. We are at 540 and 1-2 miles from the beltline.

Search Knightdale, Raleigh zip 27610, and 27604 for lower Buffaloe Rd, near Foxcroft subdiv. Many folks out here say we are Raleigh's best kept secret

I miss Planter's Walk. Lived there before we moved closer to hubby's work in Southern Wake. To this day, wished we could move back. Once 540/64 were completed, it became so convenient to everything. Plus housing prices were really reasonable. Great nature trails, pools, and HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary