Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM

53 posts, read 92,222 times

Advertisements

Hi all...found this older thread, but it's very current to my situation today in 2013. We're relocating to Holly Springs in July with 1 teenager who's base school will be HS High School with a traditional calendar and 1 youngster who's base school will be Holly Glen Elem with year-round calendar. After researching more about year-round schools, we're open to the idea of a year-round school for our younger one, but cannot find a concrete answer on how the track assignment would work for us if we start her o/a 1st week of August.

Reading this thread from 3 years ago, it seemed back then that you get put into whatever track has an opening and giddy up! No choice. Does this still hold true? I've researched as much as I could on WCPSS website, but have come up goose egg so far on this specific topic. Any current info is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:55 PM

105 posts, read 361,767 times
With all the upset here in Wake I would go to the school broad and face to face ask and find out, I know a lot of New Charter school are opening this fall several this past year , I think you have to go to the Home base school or out in a choice for the other one ,But mine is in new great Charter and we do not have to worry with all the changes ,Good Luck!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM

257 posts, read 490,250 times
I've been trying to figure out the enrollment process over the weekend as we're moving in the summer too. According to the website, the NC residency requirements is: "Proof of your Wake County address (current water, gas, or electric bill in parent's name, new signed lease, or offer to purchase agreement)".

So I called to clarify "offer to purchase agreement" which I thought a signed purchase agreement with the builder is sufficient. It turns out this means a lender letter confirming the close of escrow and the letter must be no earlier than 45 days before close of escrow. So, we cannot enroll the kids to the base school, if we wanted to, any sooner than this time frame.

It would be helpful if this was spelled out as such. So, I suggest you call and clarify their requirements and ask questions.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Wow! That's good to know as we have friends who will be moving back this Summer...I'll definitely pass this on to them! We've closed on our house already...we wanted to have a location already set to ship our furniture ahead of time vs having it go into a warehouse. This will be our 9th family move, but first time having to learn the ins-and-outs of year-round schools.

I'm going to try calling the school offices and asking my enrollment/track question. I will post my results when I get them!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM

For anyone interested in this topic, just got a call back from the school assignment office and they answered my question pretty easily...it will, indeed, be based on which track(s) have availability at the time we enroll our daughter. I told her it would be about the first week of August, so she explained that Track 4 would be the most logical since they actually have most of July off then start around the final week of July or Track 3 that goes for 3 weeks in July then goes right into 3 weeks off, but, again, would depend on seat availability. She was very helpful in explaining they have families enrolling throughout the year all the time and the teachers are very good at catching students up.

She then explained that at the time we enroll our daughter and find out our track option(s), if those would not work for us, we could then apply right there for a calendar option transfer. As we are going to be in Holly Springs, they are not anticipating any over crowding, so a transfer request should have a good chance of approval, but no guarantees at this time, of course.

I thought it was a very helpful and productive phone call! Hope this helps anyone with the same questions we had.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,167,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parr0thead98 View Post
For anyone interested in this topic, just got a call back from the school assignment office and they answered my question pretty easily...it will, indeed, be based on which track(s) have availability at the time we enroll our daughter. I told her it would be about the first week of August, so she explained that Track 4 would be the most logical since they actually have most of July off then start around the final week of July or Track 3 that goes for 3 weeks in July then goes right into 3 weeks off, but, again, would depend on seat availability. She was very helpful in explaining they have families enrolling throughout the year all the time and the teachers are very good at catching students up.

She then explained that at the time we enroll our daughter and find out our track option(s), if those would not work for us, we could then apply right there for a calendar option transfer. As we are going to be in Holly Springs, they are not anticipating any over crowding, so a transfer request should have a good chance of approval, but no guarantees at this time, of course.

I thought it was a very helpful and productive phone call! Hope this helps anyone with the same questions we had.
I've always heard that when you call, they are very helpful in answering your questions so thanks for letting us know this is the case!

Most of the time it is better to go directly to the source of things of this importance! You were smart to do so!

Vicki

Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,115,879 times
for clarification, when you say "school offices" and "schools assignment office" - did you call WCPSS, or the particular school in question?

Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM

I called the Wake County Public School Assignments Office...sorry for the confusion, good question!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM

53 posts, read 128,240 times
I just wanted to jump in and give you some extra reassurance. My son is on track 1, which begins in the beginning of July. He had a new student added to his class (the only track 1 class at his school) nearly every week throughout July and some of August. From what I've heard and seen, it was absolutely no big deal and the teachers caught them up very quickly.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM

105 posts, read 361,767 times
I would check in to the New charter school that is moving in the Cary area. I have e family friend that has 3 children , it a good ideal to look in to it,TMSA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary