Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 AM

306 posts, read 436,336 times

Advertisements

In the next 36 hours I must decide whether or not to move to Raleigh.

I have an apartment lined up, movers in place and just need to flip the switch.

I currently live in Fairfax, VA and have a job offer from a DC/MD based company that would allow me to live in Raleigh and work from home.

I am single with no debt, a reasonable amount of reserves in the bank.

My primary concern is the distance that I would have to travel to PA to visit my family. Additionally, if this position does not work out in the long term, then I could be part of the "looking for a job in Raleigh" pool.

I lived in Raleigh in 1999 and have spent 10 days there in the past six months researching the area.

The main reason I would like to move to Raleigh is to enjoy a better quality of life. Getting away from NOVA traffic and housing costs would be terrific.

For the record, comparing Raleigh traffic to where I live live is like comparing a 60 watt light bulb to the sun.

I figured it might be interesting to simply get some feedback from people.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 AM

39 posts, read 83,930 times
Where in PA is your family from? My Mother in Law is in Philly, in fact we're going up next week to see her and Southwest makes it very easy to get up there. BTW, my sister in law and her family is in Fairfax, VA. Very nice up there, be I can understand why you'd like to move...

Old 07-29-2010, 08:07 AM

Also, my husband and I moved from Boston, and the quality of life is much better down here. The traffic is no comparision - what traffic? I think you would experience the same coming from NOVA. Also, our utilities are very cheap down here. We are basically paying what we were in boston and running the heat and AC as we did in Boston, however we went from 1200 sq ft to about 2900 sq ft. Just to give you some idea... I know it's not NOVA, but coming from another area where cost of living was higher.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 AM

335 posts, read 800,570 times
sounds like you've made up your mind to me. Go for it - if the job does not end up being long-term, hopefully by that point the Raleigh job market will be more recovered. If not, DC will always be there. And since you'd be working from home then traffic really isn't a factor at all.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:10 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
I'd agree with Sox Girl , you seem ready for a change and the SW flights to Philly are cheap and plentiful.

Worst case is you move back ... which seems fairly easy in your situation.

Good luck .. and welcome?

Frank

Old 07-29-2010, 08:21 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,209 times
I have a friend who's family is in PA, and her husband's is in DE. Its about a 6 - 8hr drive (depending on where in PA, when you leave, and the traffic you hit), and they are able to go up there about 6 times a year or so. They extend long weekends by a day or two, and seem to have no problem with it.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 AM

306 posts, read 436,336 times
Default Central PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Girl View Post
Where in PA is your family from? My Mother in Law is in Philly, in fact we're going up next week to see her and Southwest makes it very easy to get up there. BTW, my sister in law and her family is in Fairfax, VA. Very nice up there, be I can understand why you'd like to move...
I would be going to central PA and although there are no direct flights to Harrisburg, it looks like it is fairly reasonable to fly there for a weekend.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:46 PM

Well, whatever you decide, good luck! I can say that we are happy with the move and have no regrets. One other thing too - the RDU airport is very easy to travel in and out of and parking is very cheap.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:14 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Girl View Post
Well, whatever you decide, good luck! I can say that we are happy with the move and have no regrets. One other thing too - the RDU airport is very easy to travel in and out of and parking is very cheap.

sssssshhhhhhhhh they will increase the prices if you say things like that

Old 07-29-2010, 02:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Our son used to come here from Harrisburg and it wasn't too bad a drive except for the merge in DC.

He later moved back to Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary