Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:23 PM

217 posts, read 445,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
rabdella, so what you are saying is 1 out of every 6.5 homes sold in wake county is a foreclosure? That seems more than a "tiny fraction" to me.

1860/12000 = ~1/6.5.
Sorry if I was misleading - I was not saying that of the 12,000 homes sold, 1,860 of them were foreclosures. I was only trying to make the point that 1,860 foreclosures (many of which did not make it to the sales market as foreclosures) do not have as much influence on the sale prices of 12,000 homes sold per year. Not all those foreclosures were competing with those 12,000 sales - many were bought on the court house steps, fixed up, and hit the market as non-distressed sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM

217 posts, read 445,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
This paragraph from the TBJ is not sensible:
"Raleigh had the 137th highest foreclosure rate nationally, with 0.68 percent of its housing units receiving a foreclosure filing. The Bull City’s rate of 0.33 percent clocked in at No. 179."
Foreclosure and filing are two different things.
Mike is right - a foreclosure filing could be many different things - it could be an HOA just trying to collect assoication dues, or the county trying to collect back taxes. A lot of those are settled before actually going to foreclosure.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
It is logical that foreclosures would be high YOY for the first half of the year, when you remember that there was a fairly broad moratorium on foreclosures during the first half of last year.
Consumer Reports Money & Shopping Blog: Banks agree to temporary foreclosure moratorium

Up 49% YOY, but only up 5% over the second half of 2009.
Deferred foreclosures will skew numbers, just like the 1st time buyers credits skewed numbers. So, the 1st halof foreclosures were pushed later and the numbers are affected.
When you push and pull results artificially from one time period to another, the data will follow.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,474,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Agreed! If you mortgage balance is more than double your annual household income then you are more than likely over-extended!

Just because the bank tells you that you qualify for a certain mortgage amount, doesn't mean that it is a good idea...
This is so true...and so depressing. I know that the majority of people in this area make enough money to buy a house. But our annual household income is around $50k and we are a family of 6. There simply aren't housing options in this area for people like us. I've made it a goal to stay as close to the 130's as possible, but even at that my husband has to commute almost an hour to work. We actually tried that (buying out in the country) several years ago before the huge gas hike. We ended up paying hundreds of dollar extra every month for gas. Right now we're renting...and paying more for rent that we would if we bought a 150k house. There just aren't that money options out there.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:20 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
My buddy and his wife bought a house in Garner for $125k in a nice blue collar neighborhood. Also look at used VW Jetta TDi's w/manual trannies, they get 50+ mpg. Down here in the summer you can even run straight used vegetable oil in them, so your gas cost is $0. You just have to allocate a weekend day to collect and strain the oil from local restaurants.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
My buddy and his wife bought a house in Garner for $125k in a nice blue collar neighborhood. Also look at used VW Jetta TDi's w/manual trannies, they get 50+ mpg. Down here in the summer you can even run straight used vegetable oil in them, so your gas cost is $0. You just have to allocate a weekend day to collect and strain the oil from local restaurants.
Those are good thoughts. I've looked into the VW's. They have really bad reliability ratings...way too many unexepected repairs. The best cars for people in our financial situation are older European made cars...BMW, Mercedes, Volvo. You can pick them up for $3k in good shape and they last forever.

I do love the idea of a veggie car. My husband and I are mechanically challenged and have alot on our plate right now. But maybe in the future sometime when my kids are a little older we can research how to do something like that.

I'm a master at living on a small budget. I probably should write a book and increase my income.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:06 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
My wife has a '98 VW and I have a '95 Volvo. I like my Volvo. In fact I kinda love it. Probably won't ever get rid of it ever. However it requires a lot of TLC. I bought a parts car for it to fix it inexpensively. In fact I was actually paid to take the stuff off I needed (pulled the engine/tranny) and resell it.

I tore into my wife's VW and fixed the a/c, replaced the compressor and dryer, for under $300. Learn to work on cars, it will save you a bundle. VW's aren't much worse than Volvo for reliability and longevity provided you take care of them. If I was commuting an hour each way a day I would be driving a VW TDi. Hands down.

If I could figure out how to swap in a diesel engine in my Volvo 850 I'd be driving it.

Garner is great for that stuff, lots of blue collar folks who don't mind you working on your cars. I had a nazi neighbor complain about my air tools and went thru the HOA who called me up. Whatever. At least I know where I fit in for the future when I buy a house.

Oh and just wanted to also say Volvos in our area are way overpriced. Check out FL. Lots of low mileage ones for 1/2 the price. I'm looking to pick up another 95 850 and refurbish it for the wife to drive long term, and we might even start importing them from FL - they are that much lower priced.

Charlotte is a good place for used cars as well as there is a much greater supply.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:38 PM

I will look at Charlotte for a new (used) car. We are in need of a minivan. It's getting really old for my kids riding in the back of our Volvo wagon.

Sorry for the major thread drift.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:51 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Ahem ..... cars =/= foreclosures. Let's stay on topic, please.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,799 times
I see the spin doctors are at work on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary