Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 07:59 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
actually if a car is traveling in the street or cul-de-sac and a kid runs from a yard right in front of the car such that the car has no chance to stop, and the kid gets hit, the car has the right of way. This is why younger children should never be allowed to play in the street without being closely supervised. You would be shocked with the number of residential injuries and fatalities from kids darting into the street, from between or behind cars, right into the path of a moving vehicle.
Actually, the car driver is "not at fault."
Not because of right of way, but because of unavoidability.

And that is a subjective judgement.

Lawmakers and DOT's will NOT get into a position of giving right of way to motor vehicles over pedestrians in accidents.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Yes, I thought this was common sense (and in the NC driving manual?).

But, to answer your question...when our kids see a car approaching they yell "CAR" and all the kids move out of the way. We've never really had a car have to wait for the kids to move. They are taught that cars are big and dangerous and they NEED to get out of the way immediately. There is usually a parent nearby but the kids in our cul-de-sac are courteous to their neighbors. They don't ignore someone who is driving into the cul-de-sac.
Sounds like you live in a "community."

Congratulations!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 02-16-2011 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
I think the most important thing is that the ordinance is NOT YET IN PLACE!!! START THE EMAILS AND PHONE CALLS to TOWN HALL!!! To the mayor himself!!! And I don't just mean Holly Springers...if it can happen here, it can happen in your town too...GET INVOLVED!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 AM

93 posts, read 163,970 times
So apparently no one sees the issue with taking a piece of equipment and placing it beyond your property and onto public property? Ask yourself how many people would you think it would be ok with if you put a basketball hoop or a hockey net in your next door neighbor's driveway instead of your own. I don't mean on your own block, but just in general. To me the town is saying they don't want that stuff on public (meaning, not yours) property.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:41 AM

345 posts, read 1,059,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Scanning the NC Drivers' Handbook for citation of WikiPedia.....

Nope.
Nothing.
Nothing giving drivers the right of way to run over kids anywhere....

Hmmmmmmm...
This is true, but:

9-year-old Cary boy killed on skateboard :: WRAL.com

Hitting someone who darts out into the street between cars, does not guarantee you'll be charged, and if the child dies...everyone loses.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:13 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
Ok...so here's an example. I agree that movable hoops in culdesacs can cause problems and should be on private property. A neighbor (with no kids, mind you) installed a basketball hoop in the culdesac but beyond the street edge and on his property. It hangs over the street a little so that you can play from the street. He has a long natural area along the street so that's a perfect spot. The neighborhood kids love it. A few yrs back, the town of HS went to him and said they wanted it down. Its on HIS property!! He walked around and petitioned all the neighbors and we all signed it, so they backed down. I love HS, but we are talking about a town and police with a little too much time on their hands...and I agree, trying be a little too much like Cary! We could have lived in Cary but chose not to for these exact reasons...

Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 AM

17 posts, read 31,987 times
I totally support this proposed ordinance. My neighbors seem to think it is OK for their children to play hockey in the middle of our busy street and use my driveway as their goal. Our cars have been hit numerous times but they won't put a stop to this. Unfortunately many people in our current society have not learned to respect their neighbors. Maybe a few $25 tickets will give them a wake up call. It is sad that we need to legislate respect for one another's property.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:57 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Such a shame that this is what our society has come to. People, in general, have taken NIMBY to the extreme.
It might be a good idea if people slow down a bit. I mean this literally, as in stop driving 45 mph down a residential street (I know, you are very important and getting home 15 seconds earlier will make all the difference).
As for people who are so bothered by kids playing in the cul de sac, I say, seek professional help.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 PM

210 posts, read 748,752 times
Who ever thought in America that one day it could become illegal for your kids to play in the street?

The government is saying that they will tell the people of Holly Springs where their children can play? You've got to be kidding me.

Who voted these people in? What's next? No toys allowed.

It's time for everyone to start waking up and begin to know who you are voting for. Holly Springs -- it sounds like you need to clean house.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:08 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Actually, the car driver is "not at fault."
Not because of right of way, but because of unavoidability.

And that is a subjective judgement.

Lawmakers and DOT's will NOT get into a position of giving right of way to motor vehicles over pedestrians in accidents.
No, unless the pedestrian is crossing in a legal crosswalk, the vehicle has the right of way. This is from the NC Code:

[SIZE=3]20‑174. Crossing at other than crosswalks; walking along highway.[/SIZE]
(a) Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right‑of‑way to all vehicles upon the roadway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary