Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 AM

21 posts, read 58,308 times

Advertisements

After living in the Clayton 40/42 area for 3 years I will chime in on this subject:

Cleveland Draft House - blah
LaPiazza - decent size portions, decent food, desserts are purchased from Lowes Foods
Marcos Pizza - downhill since they moved to the new locations...and plastic silverware?!!..come on people
Fiesta Mexicana - good so far
Stephensons BBQ - good food & fair prices
Cracker Barrell - eh
Kaze - not bad..very much like Kanki
Bonsai - no complaints

They cannot seem to keep a restaurant at the "Old Drugstore" location. I know two guys are going to give it another go and call it "Terrafin" (menu is surf/turf). Supposedly they are doing a major remodel and have been in the restaurant biz for quite a while (one comes from Bahama Breeze).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:58 PM

240 posts, read 627,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Oh gawd, yes. The only thing I can give Clayton/Garner is that I have NOT found a bad mexican restaurant. They are all really good! I have yet to find a good chinese restaurant and I am sending this out as a warning (IMO), avoid the chinese buffet place at Walmart on hwy 70....the one over on 40/42 walmart however, is pretty decent.

Mullberry on Main is extremely good. I also love Clayton steakhouse! (The owners are both super friendly!) Other than that, Venerios is good (I think I spelled it wrong).

Yeah, that's all I got. Oh, Pelican's has the BEST snowballs. Very affordable too!

I recommend you visit China Garden in Garner at the corner of Timber and Hwy 50 in the Food Lion shopping center. They're not open on Monday though. The Sesame Chicken is the best you'll ever have!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
New kid on the block here would like names of the best of Mexican food in Garner. Have not been to Las Margaritas yet on Timber Drive. Anybody been there??

You want La Cocina in the White Oak Shopping Center to the right of the movie theater.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM

I grew up in Garner but I have been in Charlotte for the past 10+ years. I must say I greatly miss the wide variety of food that I had at my disposal in Charlotte. I have recently moved back and I must say I am sadly disappointed at the lack of new places to eat aside from the standard high school hangout/drunk hangouts of Kick Back Jacks, Characters and the Cleveland Draft House. Can we get some good non-fried seafood in Garner/Clayton? What about a mongolian grill place? What are the local Chamber of Commerce employees doing to attract new business?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:37 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
You want La Cocina in the White Oak Shopping Center to the right of the movie theater.
Mmmm, La Cocina is yummy. We eat at the one in Mebane monthly.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:42 PM

69 posts, read 163,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
The best Italian food, by far, that we have found in the area is Piazza Italia at Brightleaf Square in Durham. Absolutely worth the drive. They make all their own pasta and the food is prepared just like Nona makes. What was really amazing was that I called dozens of places before I found anyone that made their own pasta. My favorite conversation was a place in Clayton, and the conversation went:

Me: "Hi, do you make your own pasta?"
Her: "Well, we don't make it here, but we do cook it here."
Me: "Um, okay. Thanks. I guess that's good, since I don't really like it crunchy."
Ha! Brilliant.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:44 PM

69 posts, read 163,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post
We live in Clayton. For Italian food, we go to Ragazzi's on 70 in Garner. It may not suit the high end food "experts" that frequent here , but we like it better than Veneros. Pizza is best at Primavera's in White Oak Shopping Center. We also like Logans Roadhouse (in White Oak shopping center) for steaks/ribs, atmosphere and the Fried 'Shrooms (my favorite). We pretty much gave up on trying to find decent Chinese food/Restaurant. As buffets go, the Hibachi Grill in the Walmart shopping center off Brightleaf in Smithfield is passable. We actually like to eat at Cracker Barrel every now and then.

We would like to see good "Diner" and Chinese Restaurant choices closer to Clayton. Those that say the Rockin Comet Diner is good, probably never been to a good Diner . In any case, we find our choices to eat out acceptable for the little we do eat out. While many are not great, most places do seem to have some decent food choices.
No kidding on the diner. If you want a good diner, drive to Chapel Hill and check out Elmo's. Yum.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 AM

257 posts, read 713,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I'll be trying it for my birthday this weekend!
Cool, will be interested to hear what you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
What about a mongolian grill place?
I'll second this motion! As long as it's a new Bali Hai location, that is... I'd pass on Crazyfire.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
I am anti-foodie when it comes to eating out. The fast food and chain restaurants are usually fine by me. I guess that's why I didn't mind moving to Clayton. Those mentioning places in Durham, Chapel hill - gee - I could be 3/4 back to Richmond as long as it takes me to get to those towns from here. My one exception to being an anti- food snob is Italian. I am spoiled from my youth living in North. WV near western PA - fantastic Italian, pizza and hot dogs - nothing comes close - any place at any price - I have taken many bets, in many places, and for much $$$ - nothing has come close. (I am sure there are places around NY/Chicago similarly good - never been there/eaten there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary