Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 PM

69 posts, read 163,667 times

Advertisements

I guess this is more of a complaint than anything else. I've lived in Garner (Cleveland Community area) for a couple of years now and have seen the area around us growing consistently. But I'm amazed that there are still so few decent restaurants here. We love all the unique and varied restaurants in Cary, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill. Come on chefs! Garner and Clayton can support more restaurants! There are foodies out here who don't want to drive 30 to 45 minutes for good food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM

415 posts, read 1,109,762 times
Hear hear!

Clayton does have some decent restaurants. Nothing fancy, but Mulberry on main is a nice restaurant with great food, The Flip Side has pretty decent food with a casual vibe and live music, and I hear The Clayton Steak House is good.

Garner, on the other hand.... I mean, if you like the Ale House vibe, you can go there, but I'm just not that into it. At all. At least you can't smoke in there now. I couldn't stand to go in there before that law went into effect.

Nobody seems to be able to keep a restaurant going in that place at the corner of 50 and 42... The last one was Italian/Sushi/Sports bar. Bizarre combination that just didn't work well.

We don't mind going to Clayton for dinner sometimes, but it doesn't save us any time over going into Raleigh (we live closer to Ten-Ten/50). Would love to find some restaurants in Garner (and I'm not counting Golden Corral, Smithfield's, fast food places, etc. blech!).

Old 07-30-2010, 03:38 PM

165 posts, read 434,265 times
Here Here...

I'm new here, but discovered La Piazza Italian Restaurant on 42/50 (in the Lowe's supermarket plaza) and was thrilled to have found something that meet my taste for Italian coming from New England. Definitely worth a try! The food was fantastic. That's my recommendation....

Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM

Yes, I know there are a few (I can literally count them on one hand and at least two of them are Mexican), but the majority of restaurants in the Garner/Clayton areas are either REALLY horrendous or chains. I haven't been to Mulberry yet, but plan to go soon, and I've also heard La Piazza is a decent Italian restaurant. But this area is growing really quickly and the restaurant options aren't keeping up with the growth. We need some decent cafes, maybe a GOOD diner (not that silver thing on 70 - bleck), a nice sandwich shop or two, and/or maybe some Indian or Thai. I actually liked that weird place at the corner of Cleveland School Rd and 42. I know it was a strange combination, and it went downhill fast, but I had really good sushi there twice. We just get tired of the same old Mexican and Italian restaurants, and Kaze isn't the most kid-friendly place. I know Cary and Raleigh are much more well-established, but come on...there's a cool, funky, eclectic place to eat on practically every corner.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:05 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krististrange View Post
We love all the unique and varied restaurants in Cary, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill.
Umm, you forgot Durham, which has the greatest selection in the area!

But I know what you mean. Mebane is the same way. That's one reason we'll be moving back to Durham or at least Hillsborough.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Yes, Durham as well. Love Banditos (also in Hillsborough)!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:39 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Oh gawd, yes. The only thing I can give Clayton/Garner is that I have NOT found a bad mexican restaurant. They are all really good! I have yet to find a good chinese restaurant and I am sending this out as a warning (IMO), avoid the chinese buffet place at Walmart on hwy 70....the one over on 40/42 walmart however, is pretty decent.

Mullberry on Main is extremely good. I also love Clayton steakhouse! (The owners are both super friendly!) Other than that, Venerios is good (I think I spelled it wrong).

Yeah, that's all I got. Oh, Pelican's has the BEST snowballs. Very affordable too!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:32 PM

165 posts, read 434,265 times
New kid on the block here would like names of the best of Mexican food in Garner. Have not been to Las Margaritas yet on Timber Drive. Anybody been there??

Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 PM

223 posts, read 566,452 times
I also love Mulberry, Clayton Steakhouse (especially the salad bar for lunch), Flipsideand Veneros. I happen to like the shiny diner on 70. Huge variety of menu choices and you can not go wrong with their quesadillas. I also have enjoyed all the Mexican restaurants in town. I have not tried the seafood place since it changed hands- I did not care for the last place. I guess I don't eat out enough to find that big a void in the restaurant selections. For sandwiches, I love both American Hero and Hungrys. I would love a good thai place but Indian, not my thing so don't really care about that.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
We sure are in need of some good home-grown restaurants in Garner. Something new, fresh, and different would be great.

Sunny Side Too on Main was good, but they're closed now. I think my husband and I might try Shuck ‘Em Shack Oyster Bar near Whiteoak for a kid free lunch this afternoon. I've heard they were pretty good. Restaurant Review: Shuck The owners also own an Oyster bar at Carolina Beach.

I agree about the Mexican...I haven't had a bad experience yet! I also love Carolina BBQ on 70...they have the best down home BBQ in Garner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary