Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,952,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky08 View Post
I believe there is, parents are tired of public schools. If there is a reasonablly priced private school that doesn't cost $700.00 a month per kid people might consider it. I think most parents who are in the market for the private school and are on a budget are looking for more affordable private schools, less than $500.00 per month.
Translation...if only someone would give me something for virtually nothing, I'd be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 AM

330 posts, read 983,237 times
Atlas International School in Raleigh (across from South Hills Mall) seems to have much of what you are striving for. You might want to check them out for ideas.

The staff have a Christian worldview but the point of the school is not to teach religion. They have seemed to hit on a very nice balance.

Atlas International School - Overview of Atlas

Old 08-30-2010, 09:58 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,465,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky08 View Post
I believe there is, parents are tired of public schools. If there is a reasonablly priced private school that doesn't cost $700.00 a month per kid people might consider it. I think most parents who are in the market for the private school and are on a budget are looking for more affordable private schools, less than $500.00 per month.
Unfortunately, lowering private school tuition to this level makes it difficult to get well-qualified teachers. Teachers with advanced degrees paid well for their education and should be paid if not well, at least enough that they can support a family on their income. Schools that lower their tuition often have to settle for teachers who are providing only a supplementary income and this necessarily limits the pool of qualified candidates.

Day care in the Raleigh area is easily 2x the amount you stated. It is unreasonable to assume that primary/secondary schools should be so much cheaper than day care when the faculty needs that much more specialization and training in their fields.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM

306 posts, read 881,621 times
IMHO, I think a private, non-religious, non-montessori school would do very well in Southern Wake Co. - Primarily because there isn't one here.

There are several Christian private schools in this area. Every parent I know who has decided against sending their child to one has had a problem with the corporal punishment issue. New School Montessori was ok except it needs some updating and if you don't want Montessori education then that's out! Thales is another polarizing school - it is very affordable compared to other private schools but if Montessori is on one side of the spectrum, Thales is on the other with the DI.

Personally, I would love to see Chesterbrook open a school in this area. I think it would do great. Also, in regards to the Montessori school that closed down - there were may factors including the fact that they had issues of money theft with the original owner. They never bounced back after that and the new location was, to be honest, terrible. However, the director there was probably one of the best you could have had if you wanted a Montessori education.

I say go for it!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 PM

113 posts, read 727,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
Also, in regards to the Montessori school that closed down - there were may factors including the fact that they had issues of money theft with the original owner. They never bounced back after that and the new location was, to be honest, terrible. However, the director there was probably one of the best you could have had if you wanted a Montessori education.
Did you have a child there? That director was awful. I know from personal experience. I'm not sure of what came out of the embezzlement charges (and it was the director, not owner). As far as I know, she was never convicted of anything. If you were there, then you'd know that attendance was the number one issue. You can't collect money from empty seats, and there were a lot of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary