Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 AM

375 posts, read 1,143,600 times

Advertisements

For us, in addition to maintenance and safety - liability and insurance were other reasons. While we do have the yard fenced off for the dog, we didn't want to deal with higher insurance or keeping the fence locked/signs posted. There's a neighborhood pool with good hours that takes care of all of the risk - and the dog gets a 2ft plastic toddler pool to splash around in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I think for the avergae buyer, the exepnse of having a pool in NC for the summer is just not worth the cost of maintainig it the rest of the year.
The weather there is not that different from North Texas weather, and we have tons of pools (mostly in-ground) around here.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedc43 View Post
I have found that the safest pools are the above ground type.with our pool the only access is through the deck which has a door with a lock that we keep locked when we are not in it.as for re-sale value,they are cheap enough that if the home owner does not want it,then you rip it out.
I don't like how an above ground pool looks and of course I would rather buy a house that doesn't have one so that I didn't have to pay to remove it myself. I think many buyers think this way.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,173 times
Most places have a community pool that you pay for out of the HOA fees. So if you have your own pool, its like paying twice. Moreover, I would buy a house that had a pool but also have no HOA/club fees.

I would love to have my own pool however space is limited and to get a decent in-ground pool you need some cash. I would say 40k.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 PM

120 posts, read 236,361 times
Hi, I am house hunting as well and have noticed this as well. I think it must have to do with all the reasons the other people stated. I know we are looking for a house with a pool or with space for a pool "someday". The lot has proven to be part of the issue since we have been focusing on the Cary area. We want a neighborhood with a pool for the kids but we think we would enjoy our own as well. However, we don't want a backyard with just a pool and no other area. So we will have to weigh our options.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:39 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The weather there is not that different from North Texas weather, and we have tons of pools (mostly in-ground) around here.
But do you have lots of subdivisions with their own pools that are included in HOA fees?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:56 PM

48 posts, read 119,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas33 View Post
Hi, I am house hunting as well and have noticed this as well. I think it must have to do with all the reasons the other people stated. I know we are looking for a house with a pool or with space for a pool "someday". The lot has proven to be part of the issue since we have been focusing on the Cary area. We want a neighborhood with a pool for the kids but we think we would enjoy our own as well. However, we don't want a backyard with just a pool and no other area. So we will have to weigh our options.
yes I did notice that as well and I am sure that that is a big factor.We have two acres here in Mass and the pool is off to the side,so although it is a very large above ground it takes up very little real estate

Old 08-02-2010, 01:01 PM

43 posts, read 123,164 times
We were recently house hunting in the area and automatically crossed off any homes with pools--not worth the effort or risk when you have very young children. I think a lot of buyers with young kids feel the same way.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
But do you have lots of subdivisions with their own pools that are included in HOA fees?

Yes, we do. Quite a few, in fact. And even in those neighborhoods there will be people with their own pool.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:13 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, we do. Quite a few, in fact. And even in those neighborhoods there will be people with their own pool.
We must have lived in different areas of North Texas then. I can't remember any off the top of my head, except for that new-ish subdivision with the "King Arthur's Court" theme on Hebron Parkway in Lewisville/north Carrollton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary