Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

This is not going to be a typical Raleigh neighborhood discussion. Rather, it's going to be a discussion about the growing trend to identify different sections of Raleigh by "neighborhood" names. It's very common in bigger cities and we are hearing more and more designations describing more specific areas of the city. In some cases, the city has clearly delineated neighborhoods (like the 5 Downtown Districts). In other cases, the public consciousness has vague to specific ideas of what areas "mean". Some examples of the later are "ITB" and "Five Points". Yet, in others, newer names have emerged that are finding their definition in the public discourse like "Midtown".
When I first moved to Raleigh in 1974, the only designation that I heard about was North Raleigh. It was used to distinguish the newly suburbanized areas from the original city. Socially, I am certain it also separated people from a societal perspective. Today, ITB is used in a similar way and has even made its way into branding with bumber stickers, etc.
I wonder what designations will emerge and which ones will change over time? I have some ideas of my own and will share them now but I am also curious what others think of this subject.

The way I see it, the only official city designations that are actually being pushed/published by the city are the five DT districts: Capital, Fayetteville St., Moore Square, Warehouse and Glenwood South. I wonder if there will be others as the DT area grows? I can see it happening or I can see the city expanding the existing districts to include adjacent areas. I wonder if the city will leverage its planning district strategy as a key to creating neighborhood branding. In some cases, the planning districts are small enough to make the transition. In others, the districts are clearly too large to create any sort of neighborhood indentity.
I can also see the city putting official boundaries around some other commonly associated areas like...
  1. University/Hillsborough St.
  2. Cameron Village/Park (may be part of University/Hillsborough)
  3. Five Points
  4. New Bern
  5. Capital Blvd (from Peace St. to Wake Forest Rd area)
I wonder if the city would also officially brand and create boundaries for (not just chamber of commerce but offically by the city) areas such as...
  1. Midtown
  2. Crabtree Valley
  3. Fairgrounds Area (though it needs a better name)
  4. Umstead
One name that I used to hear all the time that has seemed to go by the wayside is "Mini-City". It designating the area in, what used to be, the far north side of North Blvd before it was renamed Capital Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Mini city was a concept that began so many years ago. The idea was that the area around Capital Blvd. was to have homes and shops and banks and be a MINI CITY of it's own. I think it started out with good intentions but that area just didn't appreciate as well as others. It seems that the amount of rental properties grew and the surrounding areas had issues.

Midtown is what Kane has given to the area around North Hills. I recently sold a home there and was amazed at the $172 per square foot prices!

Inside the Beltline is where the native North Carolinians with old Raleigh money tried to hide from the relocating folks, in the 1960s! Homes in there are very pricey and I've seen some go for $400 per sq. foot.

Another area currently taking off is the Brier Creek area, although I have seen prices going down, currently.

Vicki

Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 AM

345 posts, read 1,060,259 times
Didn't that guy who tried to develop that huge building near Crabtree call that area "Uptown"? Can't remember, and I think he abandoned the project when it was all said and done.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
There was an article on (the decline of) Mini-City in the paper just a few days ago!

Otherwise, I don't see why it's important...people are going to call a part of town based on how to identify where it is. Realtors and marketers love to use catchy other names like 'Midtown' to generate a buzz for an area, but I can't see that ever happening around, say the Fairgrounds.

I've never heard "New Bern" mentioned as a "neighborhood" as you cite since it is a long and varied area. Cameron Village and Five Points are of course in common usage.

Quote:
Capital Blvd (from Peace St. to Wake Forest Rd area)
Well, old-timers still call this section "Downtown Blvd" Because it really is fundamentally different from the rest of Capital/US 1 where the main thing that comes to people's minds is often the traffic.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There was an article on (the decline of) Mini-City in the paper just a few days ago!

Otherwise, I don't see why it's important...people are going to call a part of town based on how to identify where it is. Realtors and marketers love to use catchy other names like 'Midtown' to generate a buzz for an area, but I can't see that ever happening around, say the Fairgrounds.

I've never heard "New Bern" mentioned as a "neighborhood" as you cite since it is a long and varied area. Cameron Village and Five Points are of course in common usage.

Well, old-timers still call this section "Downtown Blvd" Because it really is fundamentally different from the rest of Capital/US 1 where the main thing that comes to people's minds is often the traffic.
Hubby still calls it "downtonw blvd." and then I can't remember WHERE he is talking about so he says..."remember the old S&H stamp place" and then I remember! Funny how things change!

I've been out of town for a few days, so I haven't read the paper. What were the reasons given for the decline of Mini-City?

Vicki

Old 08-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:

I am aware that there isn't a "New Bern" designation now but wonder if one might emerge in the future. That's the sort of discussion that I want to have. It seems to me that neighborhood identity is growing as the city grows and people look for ways to "belong" to something bigger. I think it's fascinating to watch.
As for the previously posted "uptown" designation, that's also the sort of thing that I am interested in discussing.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
Didn't that guy who tried to develop that huge building near Crabtree call that area "Uptown"? Can't remember, and I think he abandoned the project when it was all said and done.
It would seem to me that if Midtown was where it is that Uptown would be north of that area. At least, geographically, it would make sense. There are some that put Crabtree in Midtown and others who do not.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,419 times
I think people stopped calling it Mini City because now that brings to mind "crime & poverty". Only place in the Triangle I ever feel "on edge".

I think of the Crabtree area as "midtown".

Old 08-03-2010, 08:53 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:

I think having a neighborhood name can build pride and a sense of community amongst neighbors. Not to mention a neighborhood name helps when forming neighborhood associations. In Portland, there are literally hundreds of neighborhood names. Many are not based on a street name etc. Of course, it was probably a marketing ploy in the 1920s (when most of the homes were built) to get people to move to Irvington or Eastmoreland, but no one now remembers this so it's not relevant. And while Realtors do love to use those catchy names, it can benefit a seller when they list their home. In a place like Raleigh where so many people are still moving from out of state and there is no easily identifiable quadrant road system, it would be beneficial to potential buyers to be able to identify a certain area as "midtown" or whatever. (I personally don't like the term midtown... it lacks creativity.)

In terms of the Fairgrounds area, I'm always surprised at how much undeveloped land there is in that area, especially considering the proximity to downtown. Maybe something like "Market Town" or "Market Village", "Market Ridge". Or better yet use the last name of a the person who helped establish the fairgrounds.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 AM

I usually say...the area around the Fairgrounds or the area around North Hills. Of course, everyone knows Inside the Beltline. I'm not sure we really NEED "catchy names" but if they do catch on, it is a way of identifying an area. I don't think that Realtors use it any more than others. But I don't see it as a negative, either. Does anyone?

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary