U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:28 AM

72 posts, read 87,022 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a job at the department of social services in Raleigh and I'm originally from South Carolina, and I was wondering how different is it from South Carolina. In Sc you can pay about 450 for a decent one bedroom in a nice part of town, is it like that in Raleigh? My budget for housing in Raleigh would be about 850 for a one bedroom and 1000 for a two bedroom, is that too low.

Lastly, a question to transplants, do you regret your decision to move to Raleigh?

thanks so much for the future input....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:41 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,125,750 times
You will certainly spend more than $450 for a nice 1BR in Raleigh, but I think you'll be fine given your stated budget of around $850. The two states aren't that different, but the Triangle area in general has a different flavor, IMO, that much of the rest of NC. That is due to a lot of folks moving here from other parts of the country, particularly the northeast. I feel like the area as a whole has maintained its overall southern character, but has a lot of northern influence. I particularly like this as it means a greater diversity of people and ideas in our area.

I'm a native of NC and went to high school in Raleigh, so I can't help you with the transplant issue.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:57 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,425,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgurl10 View Post
I've been offered a job at the department of social services in Raleigh and I'm originally from South Carolina, and I was wondering how different is it from South Carolina. In Sc you can pay about 450 for a decent one bedroom in a nice part of town, is it like that in Raleigh? My budget for housing in Raleigh would be about 850 for a one bedroom and 1000 for a two bedroom, is that too low.
Are you comparing South Carolina to North Carolina as a whole (as your subject line says) or just to Raleigh? If so, what part of SC? You can't really compare a state to a city, since SC is just as diverse as NC from place to place. What part of SC were you in, before?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:27 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,807,465 times
I think you'll find that NC is more progressive than SC. You'll also notice the larger size of the metro areas. There isn't a city in SC that's the size of Raleigh (or even Cary for that matter). So, I imagine that will be an adjustment.
Other things will be similar. It's a nice mix of Southern and non-Southern (not just Northern) influences.
Your budget should afford you a nice place to live. No worries there.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:39 PM

259 posts, read 391,560 times
I agree that NC is more progressive than SC. I've lived in both places. SC is beautiful and filled with wonderful friendly people. I just thought it stuck a lot to tradtion for tradition's sake, in a lot of cases. (Maybe just my experience)

I love the Raleigh area- can't imagine us choosing to relocate.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:49 PM

2,872 posts, read 5,031,309 times
Let me put it this way: I'm from upstate SC. The only reason I'll admit to that is because I'm using a screen name.

But seriously, we can't help you compare costs if we don't know what we're comparing Raleigh to. What city or town in SC are you comparing?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM

I'm from a small town near spartanburg called Gaffney in the upstate of south carolina. Where I'm from, at least, its very Conservative and very traditional, so i'm looking to make a change.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:04 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,575,411 times
I'm from right near Gaffney. I was in Spartanburg from 10-18, and my parents are still there so I go back every few months. I think Greenville is awesome. Other than that and Charleston, I think SC is kinda the pits. I even got very tired of Columbia (where I was from 18-24) though it has some nice spots. I knew I wanted something very different, bigger, more liberal, and with more educational opportunities, arts and culture feel, etc. I found all of that right here in Raleigh. If you're looking for those sorts of things, come on up. If none of that appeals to you, it may not be the place for you.

You could easily spend less than $850 on a 1 bdrm. Yes, things are more expensive, but I also get paid more than I would have in the same job in SC (not a ton, but enough to make up for the cost of living difference). I'm in a similar field to you I'm guessing (I'm in social work), so if you have questions, please ask. Are you going to miss the 'butt peach'?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:17 PM

I'm definitely not going to miss the butt peach, lol, after seeing it on 85 everyday, it gets kind of boring,lol. But I'll be working in CPS, lord help, i hope i do a good job. I'm scheduled for a visit in the next couple of weeks to look at some apartments. One of them is called Abberly place in Garner, NC, do you know anything about those.....

Old 08-02-2010, 02:00 PM

345 posts, read 937,529 times
Beware that the drivers here will seem very aggressive to you. I always loved driving through Columbia...very courteous drivers, and they use the passing lane for passing only. What a concept!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary