Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM

27 posts, read 31,629 times

Advertisements

HS Dude we did this yesterday, not doing it again. Here's my position we shouldn't be encouraging children to play in the streets. It's dangerous. Period. Thanks. Goodbye. Goodnight. Farewell.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Hmmm... Holly Springs isn't seeming like the idyllic happy place I've heard it to be, what with all the bickering here among its residents. Is there really that much more to be said about this issue that hasn't already been said?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 AM

93 posts, read 163,956 times
Well the official meeting minutes from the 20th (where this all started) was posted and it specifically says:

Ms. Christo addressed the Council to request its consideration of an ordinance prohibiting portable basketball goals set up in streets. She said there is a growing problem in Holly Springs in which parents allow youngsters to play basketball in the streets with goals set up at the curb. Not only does this pose a danger to the young people, but it is an inconvenience for neighbors and motorists. She said she is afraid there will be a tragedy one day if something is not done.

Councilwoman Williams asked if the Council would consider directing the town attorney
to draft an ordinance prohibiting basketball goals in streets.
Mr. Schifano said he had researched what some other municipalities have done about
this issue. He said Garner has a criminal ordinance using the term “recreational devices,” which
would cover other game equipment like soccer and hockey goals in addition to basketball goals.
Mr. Schifano said he would draft a proposed ordinance for the Council’s consideration if
the Council so desired. A consensus of the Council indicated that it would like for the town
attorney to do so.

Another thing I noticed was there is no mention of the word 'overnight', meaning it seems the original intention basically had to do with placing anything in the street.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM

Cityslick: The word "inconvenience" was a word I did not use. I'm only bringing it up because people have been jumping all over it - I listened to the video again perhaps the minutes and I believe this was mentioned at the meeting are not verbatim. I don't really care if people feel they need to interpret things a different and by no means am I saying you are but because this word "inconvenice" became such a point of contention the other day, it's important to clarify.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 AM

38 posts, read 62,863 times
Fear mongering was used to distort the real issue so perfectly articulated by Chris. The issue is a safety issue and rather than waiting for a tragedy, some very intelligent people are trying to be proactive by heading off an impending incident. For this, I thank Chris for her efforts.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Thanks can't think of one I appreciate that. Have you considered coming to the meeting on the 17th and supporting the issue? I know many people don't feel comfortable with the public hearing thing because well as you can see, we how very open minded some individuals can be and I understand some people just don't want the hassle of dealing with distortions - but it would be really helpful if all that support this issue would come and at the very least concur. I plan on speaking so if others who do agree and don't want to speak they can simply just say something like "I agree " or "I concur" - I would ask everyone to at least consider it??

Old 08-05-2010, 11:43 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of one View Post
Fear mongering ... some very intelligent people are trying to be proactive by heading off an impending incident. For this, I thank Chris for her efforts.

Think of how many streets there are in this nation. How many kids play on the street. How many have for decades.

But somehow this is an "impending incident"?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-05-2010 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:59 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,150 times
I guess somebody needs a little more attention today...

Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,142 times
I'll say this again, I was very proud of my fellow residents who showed up in force!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-05-2010 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Hmmm... Holly Springs isn't seeming like the idyllic happy place I've heard it to be, what with all the bickering here among its residents. Is there really that much more to be said about this issue that hasn't already been said?
At least it's distracted from the Chapel Hill invasion planning. New Holly Springs had a nice ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary