U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM

417 posts, read 538,993 times
Default Big yellow and black spider

Have any of you guys seen this rather large (~2.5") spider before in your garden? I thought maybe it was poisonous from the coloring but it appears they aren't. It's a black and yellow argiope, also known as the writing spider because the zigzag you can see in their web. It appears they are common in NC...I'd never come across one. Anyways, they were just high quality pics thought I'd share-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:45 PM

2,015 posts, read 2,003,422 times
Yes, I have seen them many times. They're beautiful ! Thanks for sharing. :-)

Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM

7,336 posts, read 9,256,553 times
Isn't that a Garden Spider?

Spiders

Old 08-04-2010, 04:30 PM

7,193 posts, read 13,577,438 times
they are harmless, garden spiders (argiope) that make huge webs. They start coming out now and peak around September. They make HUGE, but beautiful webs and are ginormous, creepy things, but totally harmless.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:10 PM

3,367 posts, read 3,531,908 times
Oh yes, very familiar with it. Never knew the name. One is in the tree between my and my neighbor's house. One night her teenage son walked into it -face first! He rans screaming down the sidewalk trying to get the web off his face. The web is actually very tough and much was still left strung between two trees. love watching it work.

I wonder why it has that row down the middle that looks like reinforcement?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,630,361 times
Yep....commonly called a "Writing Spider" Legend was that if they wrote your name in their web you were doomed. Although they say they're harmless, they've made me hurt myself many times

Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 PM

766 posts, read 705,531 times
We had those in TX too. I'm not a bug or arachnid person so I'm not a fan but it does make me think of Charlotte and Wilbur! My aunt always had these on the porches of her old farmhouses so I think of them as a country spider.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM

3,367 posts, read 3,531,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Yep....commonly called a "Writing Spider" Legend was that if they wrote your name in their web you were doomed. Although they say they're harmless, they've made me hurt myself many times

Then you don't have to worry, as that would be one dizzy spider trying to write your name And, this is the one time I'm ok with someone leaving the "L" out of my screen name

Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 PM

2,259 posts, read 3,689,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Oh yes, very familiar with it. Never knew the name. One is in the tree between my and my neighbor's house. One night her teenage son walked into it -face first! He rans screaming down the sidewalk trying to get the web off his face. The web is actually very tough and much was still left strung between two trees. love watching it work.

I wonder why it has that row down the middle that looks like reinforcement?
I had read that the row down the middle is an attempt at camouflage, but this Wikipedia article on orb weavers says there's more than one theory:

Quote:
One feature of the webs of some orb-weavers is the stabilimentum, a crisscross band of silk through the center of the web. It is found in a number of genera, but Argiope, which includes the common garden spider of Europe as well as the yellow and banded garden spiders of North America, is a prime example. The band has been hypothesized to be a lure for prey, a marker to warn birds away from the web and a camouflage for the spider when it sits in the center of the web. However, recent research suggests that the stabilimentum actually decreases the visibility of the silk to insects, thus making it harder for prey to avoid the web
I had a more unusual looking orb weaver on my rosemary a couple of years ago. I love the way it looks like it's wearing a leopard print.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:15 PM

219 posts, read 267,843 times
Yikes I got chills looking at that spider up close! I think spiderwebs are cool to look at, but the spiders themselves give me the chilly willies. I grew up in WNC and we always called those "Banana Spiders"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary