Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 17,182 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to purchase our first home near the end of 2011. I grew up around Falls Lake, so I am fairly familiar with the area, however, being first time home buyers, we are not sure where to begin. I have been doing considerable research on this area trying to uncover all that I need to know about it. We are looking for a home in close proximity to Duke University Medical School. I would also love the opportunity to "build" my first home, so we are mainly looking at lots within these subdivisions.

Here are a few questions I currently have:

-What are the differences between Ashton Hall and Brightleaf? Which do you believe is the better value?

-How is the resale outlook within 5 years?

-Do any of you have any suggestions/warnings I should heed about this particular area/subdivisions?

I greatly appreciate any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Brightleaf for sure is a much better neighborhood. Better amenities, better builders, it has it's own elementary school, and the entrance will soon be a shopping area with a grocery store and home improvement store among other things. You have already had homes in there selling for over $500k, and a ton more in the $400k-$500k range.

Resale in 5 years is really going to depend a lot on if the neighborhood is built out, and what is going on, but I would take Brightleaf any day.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 PM

82 posts, read 224,202 times
My best friend bought a house in Brightleaf and just moved in. I think the resale value of the house will really determine if the rest of the neighborhood gets sold (there are still lots of vacancies I hear) and WHO buys them.

I would personally prefer buying from an already established neighborhood where you can actually see the resale history and already know what the neighbors are like. There won't be as many surprises that may affect resale.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
I looked at both about four months ago. The construction quality in Ashton Hall was cheap. Brightleaf was quality, although since that time, they've added a new builder so who knows on that section. The Drees Homes and Standard Pacific Homes were nice though. I like the outdoor art and the roundabouts. Ashton Hall seems like the type of place that will go downhill quickly after it's sold out.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
I looked at both about four months ago. The construction quality in Ashton Hall was cheap. Brightleaf was quality, although since that time, they've added a new builder so who knows on that section. The Drees Homes and Standard Pacific Homes were nice though. I like the outdoor art and the roundabouts. Ashton Hall seems like the type of place that will go downhill quickly after it's sold out.

The new builder in Ashton Hall is Beazer. If I recall correctly, Beazer has been with Ashton Hall since at least January 2010. What brought you to the conclusion that the construction in Ashton Hall was inferior to that of Drees and/Standard Pacific?

Last edited by AuburnTiger1; 08-06-2010 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 08:52 PM

Recent Headlines:

3 AUG 2010
WSJ: For Home Builders' Earnings, Reality looms

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100803-718968.html (broken link)

6 AUG 2010
Beazer Homes: Hard Times Ahead
http://www.thestreet.com/story/10829...m_ven=GOOGLEFI

It is becoming fairly obvious that there is a going concern here.

Ahh, the joys of home buying.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,507 times
All these posts are old from 2010. Any new information about these two neighborhoods in 2014?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary