U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:29 AM

453 posts, read 542,126 times
Default Vet visit prices

I saw the thread regarding people trying to find a vet but also wanted to find one that their prices are decent. After seeing what some paid for services it made me think that my vet is a little pricey. I have no complains about service or care but I feel I am paying that " Cary tax " so to speak. So my last visit was only a few weeks ago...here is the breakdown. Please let me know what you pay and where you go. Thanks!

Physical Exam - 52.00
Bordetella - 30.00
Fecal sample test - 28.00
Drontal Plus 22.7mg - 20.78
Heartworm,lyme,anaplasmosis, Ehrlichiosis test - 46.00 ( which they do right there with a little contraption and since there are no labs to process..why 46??? )

Complete Blood count and Blood Chemisty 11 - 41.00

Grand total -$217.78!!! Help!! Please tell me other vets are a little more resonable??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 AM

1,507 posts, read 4,556,391 times
Good lawrd...yeah, that's quite a bit of money! I'm guessing this is for a dog, right?

If I was you, I would definately start looking for another vet. That's just my opinion. The office fee itself seems pretty high. For my dogs, for just basic shots (including bordetella), I would visit a shot clinic that the SPCA provides. Shots for $10 or I personally recommend (if you dont mind driving to Benson) For the Love of Dogs. They don't charge office fees and everything they do is just basic price.

Another suggestion would be to call around to the dog adoption centers (Best Friends Pet Adoption, etc). They can probably suggest a couple of affordable vets to use. Especially if you already adopted a dog through them.

If anything, take your list that you posted and call around to vets. They can give you an ideal cost over the phone.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 AM

369 posts, read 599,818 times
We use Ansede Animal Hospital in Garner - its at the corner of Tryon and Wilmington, kind of hidden behind the gas station. I don't have the prices in front of me, but I usually paid around $120 for the vet visit 2 - 3 shots, and a full heartworm blood panel.

Vet visits are $32, but $22 on Wednesdays - nurse visits are cheaper (I wanna say $25, and I don't know if they are reduced on Wed.)
Shots - $12.50
Fecal exam - $18 - 22

Those are the only ones I can remember off of the top of my head.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks so far for the replies! Needless to say I need to find another vet. We adopted another dog so with 2 visits I need to keep the cost as low as possible

Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 AM

440 posts, read 1,326,702 times
Look into giving your dog its own shots. Its insane to pay the vet prices when you can buy the shots and give them to them for a 1/4 the cost. I dont even have a dog (just indoor cats) but I can tell you when we get a dog I will be getting all meds online and doing the shots that way like most of my friends with dogs do. Saves them hundreds a year.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Can you also order the Drontal Plus? I just did a quick search and was I pissed...they charged me 20.78 and online one table was 5.99!! Someone just mentioned this place as Affordable Animal Care of Durham

Only $30 for an exam...and their shots and vaccines are HALF the price of my current vet! Same visit at this place for the same shots, test..would have been $78... not 217...that is HUGE!

Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM

465 posts, read 987,186 times
You can order most pet meds, and many you can get at your local human pharmacy. I get written prescriptions for EVERYTHING! I have a dog w/ chronic skin issues who takes antibiotics every other
month or so -- the 10 day supply of Cephelexin at the vet is like $30; I can get it from Walgreens for $4.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:28 AM

381 posts, read 334,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
I saw the thread regarding people trying to find a vet but also wanted to find one that their prices are decent. After seeing what some paid for services it made me think that my vet is a little pricey. I have no complains about service or care but I feel I am paying that " Cary tax " so to speak. So my last visit was only a few weeks ago...here is the breakdown. Please let me know what you pay and where you go. Thanks!

Physical Exam - 52.00
Bordetella - 30.00
Fecal sample test - 28.00
Drontal Plus 22.7mg - 20.78
Heartworm,lyme,anaplasmosis, Ehrlichiosis test - 46.00 ( which they do right there with a little contraption and since there are no labs to process..why 46??? )

Complete Blood count and Blood Chemisty 11 - 41.00

Grand total -$217.78!!! Help!! Please tell me other vets are a little more resonable??
Wow, I am glad I found this thread. I was wondering if vet exams were expensive where I currently live (Peoria,AZ) and was wondering if they are cheaper there. My last vet visit was as follows:

Exam- $48
DHPP stands for Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, and Parvovirus - $17
Bordatella - $17
Heartworm Cite (test for heartworms) - $35
interceptor (6 mos) $60.60
and then they charged me $40 for a nail trim because I have the biggest 65lb baby in the world. My vet recommended that I come in next time and give him a mild tranquilizer

Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM

381 posts, read 334,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
You can order most pet meds, and many you can get at your local human pharmacy. I get written prescriptions for EVERYTHING! I have a dog w/ chronic skin issues who takes antibiotics every other
month or so -- the 10 day supply of Cephelexin at the vet is like $30; I can get it from Walgreens for $4.
My vet had mentioned that. I don't know what it was for though. I will remember about the Walmart. My first instinct is always Walgreens since that is where I go.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 PM

7,336 posts, read 9,256,553 times
I think we paid $29 for heartworm check?

For 2 heartworm, one physical, one nail trim and one ear cleaning and office we paid (2 dogs)around $120??

On Old Stage and NC 210
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary