Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2006, 07:45 PM

26 posts, read 119,860 times

Advertisements

I thought I liked th idea of a year round school until I learned that this type of school operates with three "tracks" in session and one "track" out of session - year round.

My question:
- how do you coordinate this when it is likely that one of your children is in session while the other might be out of session?
- How does "the family" every get vacation time together?
- Can you pick the "track" to make sure all your children are off at the same time?
- How do they handle long weekends/holidays?
- Can you request a track so the kids are off over the holidays - allowing time to visit family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 09:19 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I haven't ever had a kid in year round schools, but there has been a lot in the news about this lately and from what I have gathered, I can answer some of those questions.

I believe that all students have at least a week or two off for the Holidays. You probably get a very short break for thanksgiving, but then possibley the very long 3 weeks off from before Christmas until after newyears.

It is very possible for siblings to be on different "trackis" and there is really not much parents can do about it. This is the reason for the large opposition of the new mandatory year round at many Wake County schools.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:27 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,153 times
You can go to the wake county public school webiste and if you navigate around they show you the tracts and when they are off. They still have a summer break but I believe it is only 7 wks as opposed to 10 -

Old 08-11-2006, 09:33 PM

396 posts, read 972,458 times
When we had year round out here, that is how ours worked - 3 tracks on at a time and one track off. All tracks were off for about 2 weeks in the summer (last week of June and first week of July), 2 weeks at Christmas time and then of course the major holidays. We got to pick our track (1st, 2nd, 3rd choices). We got our first choice which gave us the months of July, November and March off. Also, siblings in the same school got priority on their track selection so they could try and get them on the same track. The only problems we ran in to was that year round was only done in the elementary schools. So when my middle was in preschool and my oldest was in 6th grade (middle school) they were on different schedules. But because we had the month of July off we were still able to do family vacations.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:21 AM

Wake County mandatory year round schools? when wil this start?

Old 08-12-2006, 07:29 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classyjerseylady
Wake County mandatory year round schools? when wil this start?
Some schools have started - others are up for vote

go to this link - from news and observer

www.newsobserver.com/237/story/469060.html (broken link)

Old 08-12-2006, 09:39 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
When I registered my kids for year-round school I was also concerned about them being on different tracks. But the principal assured me that they definitely keep siblings on the same track, which is exactly what happened. My kids started school July 10th. They're going to school for 6 weeks, then off for 3 weeks then back in school for 9 weeks, off for 3 and so on. They'll have 3 weeks off in November and the week of Christmas they'll be off too. Next June they'll get 4 weeks off in a row. It's pretty confusing at first, but we're liking it now.

Old 08-12-2006, 11:06 AM

letter to the Editor: Hear from the parents on the process.... http://www.newsobserver.com/580/story/469201.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary