Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 PM

18 posts, read 67,920 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if Cary, NC is worth all of the hype these magazines portray. List after list Cary is mentioned as an outstanding place to live. I want to know if it is really that great because towns near me are on that list too and I just shake my head because they are dumpy. What makes Cary so great? Is the economy good, jobs plentiful and what about home prices? Are they through the roof or on their way down like the rest of the country? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 05:17 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tduane2003 View Post
What makes Cary so great? Is the economy good, jobs plentiful and what about home prices? Are they through the roof or on their way down like the rest of the country? Just curious.
Different people have different ideas about what constitutes "great". To some people, Cary is their ultimate town. To others, it is a suburban hell. Jobs are no more plentiful here than they are in other parts of the country. . . better than some . . . worse than some. Home prices are some of the highest in this area, but much less than other areas in the rest of the USA. Home prices are certainly not going down much, if at all, due to prices in this area never really being over-inflated.

My personal perspective? I like Cary because it is close to where I work (RTP), has a great Parks & Recreation department, plenty of shopping/dining choices, and schools that some consider to be slightly better than the average Wake county school. However, we ended up not living in Cary because we could not afford the house we wanted in Cary.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:47 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Cary is just a place to live. It's not a magical land full of fairies and magic carpet rides. I purchased my house here because I was able to get 1/3 acre of land and a nice smallish house for less than I was able to find in west Raleigh (2006). My house is older (now 22 yrs old).

Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
Exactly - it's up to everyone to decide for themselve's what they like about Cary and what aspects they don't. It's not perfect but for people looking for a good quality of life in relative safety and access to jobs in RTP then it has much to offer. Other people hate it and that's understandable too. As lottamoxie states 'Cary is just a place to live'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Cary is just a place to live. It's not a magical land full of fairies and magic carpet rides. .

Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 AM

217 posts, read 445,608 times
Ditto what everyone else has said. Some people wouldn't live anywhere else and some people wouldn't live there if you forced them. It depends on what you like.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 AM

18 posts, read 67,920 times
Default Very insightful...

I like the different answers and I am thinking of taking a trip to see the area. I realize that many people do not like suburban sprawls with HOA dues and so on. Personally, I like them for one reason and one reason only, areas with HOAs enforce rules and regulations. For example, I live in the northern part of Kansas City and there are some fabulous homes $300k and ^and these neighborhoods have HOAs. They are clean, neat and uniformed. I know most subdivisions are boring and monotone, but it is nice to live in a clean area without having a sloppy neighbor living next to you with broken down cars on their property. It decreases home values and makes the block look like crap. Here in Kansas City, we have a lot of older areas, outside of a subdivision, where one home is beautiful and the one next to it is a dump. One doesn't have to have a mansion or a lot of money for the home to be attractive. It simply requires doing out there and cleaning up the faded and broken toys and getting rid of the broken down cars. I take pride in what I have and I expect others to as well. This applies to double wides and McMansions. I have seen some double wides that are more attractive and better kept then a $250k front to back California split home and vice versa.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Not all communities in Cary have HOAs. Mine, in fact, does not. Several older communities do not have HOAs. I suspect most, if not all, of the new ones do.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Now remember. . .. you can find subdivisions with HOAs anywhere here in the Triangle, be it Cary, Raleigh, Apex, or anywhere in between. You don't have to live in Cary to be in a subdivision with an HOA. And HOAs can be relaxed or strict.

For example. . . . I live in a subdivision outside the city limits. Lot sizes range from 3/4 acre to 3+ acres. We have 18 houses and an HOA. . . . but no HOA dues. We have a few people that keep their properties up better than average and everyone else is about average. However, we do allow some things that you may not approve of. For example. . . . there are a few people that park their vehicle on the grass There are a few ski boats visible from the street and at least 2 of the families keep chickens in their back yard

Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I lived in Cary about 25 years ago. Really liked the small town feel except that when it was time to go out to dinner, there was NOTHING there. It was just a bedroom community to Raleigh. NOW, Cary is a small town and has plenty of restaurants, a mall, and no reason why you'd have to leave for shopping or dinner.

Apex, which is next door to Cary, started out as a small bedroom community, as well. It has now grown into a small town. Holly Springs may be next!

On the other side of town, North Raleigh is quite pricey so more and more people are heading to Wake Forest.

I have so many clients that THINK they want one or the other, based on what they read and hear. Once here, they usually end up somewhere other than where they thought they would!

There are pros and cons to each area but more than likely, you'll KNOW which area suits you best, once you visit. that is just the way it happens!

Vicki

Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Not all communities in Cary have HOAs. Mine, in fact, does not. Several older communities do not have HOAs. I suspect most, if not all, of the new ones do.
Mine doesn't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary