U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 18,270 times

Advertisements

I found this post from a few years back:
Work environment at Cree?
which made it sound like the work environment at Cree was...less than ideal. Does anyone know if this general opinion is the same? Someone in this old thread mentioned new management. My husband is looking at Cree as a possible place to put in some applications for Engineering work. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 AM

285 posts, read 298,486 times
I have no first hand knowledge but I have heard that it is not a great work environment. I'm considering a move to Raleigh area and checked with a colleague who is fairly well connected in RTP engineering community and has done some recruiting from there. He strongly advised avoiding Cree based on employees he has talked to. Sounds like people are there because it pays the bills, not because they are really happy with it.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:56 PM

8 posts, read 16,421 times
the LED side ( which is most of Cree ) has a certain reputation...look for "support 24x7 operation", "do whatever it takes", "willing to work > XX hours per week" in the job postings. The RF and power R&D is supposed to be more normal.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 AM

2,461 posts, read 5,527,821 times
I believe they only get 2 weeks of vacation per year. While I realize that's close to average in the US, it is not up to par with other major RTP-area employers where 3+ weeks is more the norm.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 18,270 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Needle Park - I definitely noticed the "do whatever it takes" language in their job descriptions, which set off a red flag for me. I currently work in a "do whatever it takes" environment and hate it!

Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 PM

9 posts, read 59,945 times
Default Avoid avoid avoid cree

You are offered a job by Cree because the previous person is burnt out or shoot themselves. I offered to work there, because of the same reason and so many more as timed passed. I am so happy it is ended. In this economy, they have lots of fish. They use people to death and replace them one by one. It is the only way they can compete with chines and other competitive company. They do not employ people from NC for technical parts since every body in NC know them, they have no choice than bring people from areas they haven't heard about CREE reputation. Why else in this hell economy people leave a good pay job?!!!! Now I work in Intel, any they are awful too, but they are working me only 48 hours, not 70 hours like CREE. If I didn't have a child wife and bills to pay, I never stayed in CREE more than 3 days.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM

48 posts, read 85,076 times
I'm bumping this in hopes that some more people may have more to add. I have an opportunity there that sounds terrific but I've heard the place is a sweatshop and I just don't know the reputation is an urban legend that keeps getting repeated or if it is real. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 PM

722 posts, read 1,136,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorj7034 View Post
I'm bumping this in hopes that some more people may have more to add. I have an opportunity there that sounds terrific but I've heard the place is a sweatshop and I just don't know the reputation is an urban legend that keeps getting repeated or if it is real. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest looking on glassdoor.com - I noticed they have 9 reviews right now. Pretty much all of them mention work/life balance issues.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,375,013 times
Someone who worked there in a very responsible position told me that the hours were insane. He regularly worked 14-hour days and said the only people who were happily married were ones that were on the same schedule. Everyone else was divorced and/or miserable. You are married to your job.

He said only the marketing people had regular 40-hour schedules.

It sounded horrific to me.

It's certainly not an urban legend.

Employees will put up with a lot in recessionary times.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 AM

9 posts, read 59,945 times
Default Just forget it unless you are desperate

The 14 hours is absolutely true. And it is not like you are spending time behind your desk. You are physically working and getting pushed at, all the time. Well if you have a normal job of 40hours a week and you make 40K for example, then work for 80 hours a week, then you make 80K what Cree is offering. May be you better off doing your current job for 80 hours than working for Cree. How much do you think an LED cost that they can offer you 80K typical salary at CREE, so they compensate it by working you literally (not figuratively) 80 hours. On top of that you may meet managers who are notorious then you are domed. Why else in this economy someone leave a good pay job. Cree and even other LED companies expand in china not in USA unless otherwise they work you to death. look at glassdoor website, all the complain are the same , look at other companies, you don't see complain on slavery. People complain all the time, but at CREE consider yourself an slave type early industrial revolution in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Someone who worked there in a very responsible position told me that the hours were insane. He regularly worked 14-hour days and said the only people who were happily married were ones that were on the same schedule. Everyone else was divorced and/or miserable. You are married to your job.

He said only the marketing people had regular 40-hour schedules.

It sounded horrific to me.

It's certainly not an urban legend.

Employees will put up with a lot in recessionary times.

Last edited by Bobytucboy; 12-17-2010 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary