U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 AM

48 posts, read 64,497 times
Default Family-friendly neighborhoods close to Wake Tech (Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay?)

I am an instructor at Wake Tech, and my husband works a few miles north of that on 401. We currently live in Clayton, and we both have 35-40 minute commutes (hubby drives all over for sales job, though, but spends a lot of time in Cary, Apex, and Fuquay). We are considering moving to Wake County to be closer to work. We are also looking for a town with more of a "community" feel. We would love to find a neighborhood with lots of young children, outstanding schools, and yards that aren't tiny (.3 acres or greater would be great). Our price range is around $250k. We do like our home in Clayton, but the commute seems long, and it would also be nice to be a little closer to shopping and decent restaurants. So far, we've been considering Holly Springs, Fuquay, and Apex, but it is hard to check out too many areas with little kids in tow... I also have seen some nice neighborhoods in Willow Springs, but I am concerned that Willow Springs has some of the same disadvantages as Clayton...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We are most concerned with living somewhere where there is a sense of community and great schools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM

930 posts, read 1,739,679 times
Eagle Ridge in Garner is not far from Wake Tech. http://community.associawebsites.com...cwDefault.aspx It's near the intersection of 1010 and Old Stage Road.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 AM

4,883 posts, read 10,148,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Scarlett View Post
I am an instructor at Wake Tech, and my husband works a few miles north of that on 401. We would love to find a neighborhood with lots of young children, outstanding schools, and yards that aren't tiny (.3 acres or greater would be great). Our price range is around $250k.
If you can stretch your budget, I'll recommend my neighborhood (within 2 miles of Wake Tech). We normally start in the low $300's, but a recently divorced couple is selling their home for $50K under appraisal (asking $275K). From the listing:

Seller will pay your first 3 mortgage payments**!! $51k BELOW tax value!! Fresh paint and brand new fence! Almost 2 acres in an ultra-convenient, quiet neighborhood. 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, huge bonus room with built-in surround sound, open floorplan with separate formals, HUGE deck, spectacular backyard, hardwood floors, upgraded kitchen, and 2 car garage

There are lots of kids, we hold neighborhood parties, and we are currently assigned to Yates Mill ES (about average for Wake County) but who knows where we will end up next year, or the year after that.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 AM

1,749 posts, read 1,930,524 times
You could check out Ballentine, about at your price range and there is an elementary school right in the neighborhood, so you will see lots of children playing in the streets. There are only 2 or 3 new homes left for sale but quite a few re-sales.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:45 PM

383 posts, read 745,726 times
Crooked Creek (Meadowview section for that price range, though you might get something in another section for around that occasionally) is another neighborhood full of families and kids VERY near Wake Tech. That commute would be a dream! No new homes and not much listed under $250,000 right now, but several around $270,000, and one under $200,000 that was a foreclosure. Lots are .25 acres and larger, some are partly wooded, others are open. Homes under $250,000 do come up, so keep your eyes open if you decide you like the neighborhood.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
If you can stretch your budget, I'll recommend my neighborhood (within 2 miles of Wake Tech). We normally start in the low $300's, but a recently divorced couple is selling their home for $50K under appraisal (asking $275K). From the listing:
NewUser, what is your neighborhood?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
NewUser, what is your neighborhood?
Sent you a PM. I won't say in a public forum

Old 08-12-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
Crooked Creek (Meadowview section for that price range, though you might get something in another section for around that occasionally) is another neighborhood full of families and kids VERY near Wake Tech. That commute would be a dream! No new homes and not much listed under $250,000 right now, but several around $270,000, and one under $200,000 that was a foreclosure. Lots are .25 acres and larger, some are partly wooded, others are open. Homes under $250,000 do come up, so keep your eyes open if you decide you like the neighborhood.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion--CC is an awesome location and a beautiful neighborhood. I have driven through only one part of Crooked Creek, but I really liked the look of the homes/lots. My concern is that it almost felt like a neighborhood without a town, if that makes sense. It doesn't really seem like Fuquay, but it doesn't really feel like Raleigh or Apex either, if you know what I'm saying. That's kind of how we feel now in the Clayton area, because it's so spread out. The area around Wake Tech is a strange area, because there are so many towns that kind of end right around there. I originally was looking mainly at Fuquay, but it seems like Holly Springs might not be a bad commute either, depending on the neighborhood. I also know parts of Apex are close, but I am completely unfamiliar with that part of Apex. I'll have to take another look at CC and the surrounding area to get a better feel for it.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I have driven through only one part of Crooked Creek, but I really liked the look of the homes/lots. My concern is that it almost felt like a neighborhood without a town, if that makes sense.
That's true. Many of the neighborhoods down by Wake Tech, including mine, are in unincorporated Wake County and have no town. The benefit is that there are no city taxes

Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 PM

306 posts, read 527,339 times
We also live in the unincorporated part by Wake Tech. We have a Fuquay address. It's a great section as you get the benefits of being in an area where you get more house and land for your money, but you don't pay city tax, and you don't suffer from the "remoteness" that some associate FV with. I know there are Apex addresses close by Wake Tech, too, but they're more Apex in name only as they are no where near downtown Apex. You'd probably end up spending most of your (shopping) time in either downtown Fuquay, Garner or Cary. Good luck-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary