U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2007, 12:32 PM

5,527 posts, read 6,145,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
So basic music, art, and PE are still available at all Wake County elementary schools ... right? And by "music" I mean singing and maybe playing a recorder and such. Is this correct?
For the life of me I could never figure why they called it a recorder. It was a flute for crying out loud, a flute that made someone billions of dollars because they look exactly the same as they did when I was in elementary school and I am sure it's the same manufacturer who has sold trillions of those things. I could only play twinkle twinkle little star and mary had a little lamb but of course that was because I was in the principals office every day for most of my elementary school career.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 PM

906 posts, read 1,445,081 times
tluv--yep, basically.

Mrs. Steel--Yes, every elementary school MUST offer PE, art and music.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,635,487 times
Tluv, I played the flute for over a decade and, lemme tell ya, there is an ENORMOUS difference between a flute and a recorder. Just sayin'.

RaleighJayne, thanks for the clarification.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:50 PM

5,527 posts, read 6,145,324 times
<sarcasm> I left that out of my thread. Sorry

Old 10-05-2007, 07:02 PM

23,918 posts, read 20,048,870 times
Default Sounds like my son

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
For the life of me I could never figure why they called it a recorder. It was a flute for crying out loud, a flute that made someone billions of dollars because they look exactly the same as they did when I was in elementary school and I am sure it's the same manufacturer who has sold trillions of those things. I could only play twinkle twinkle little star and mary had a little lamb but of course that was because I was in the principals office every day for most of my elementary school career.
Geeez you sound like my son he couldn't keep his mouth shut and we tried everything including music lessons. All he ever wanted to be was a business man and Lee Iaccoca from Chrysler was his idol. He was G/T and very bright but couldn't shut up and had to chime in on everything. He is a very successful businessman today and gets paid well to talk to people and still loves to chime in. Still wish he had taken the Bass serious. Still remember the second grade video of him being chairman of Chrysler making decisions. Was for a GT class which brings this back to the original poster and having multiple options for kids in school to help develop their individual talents. Viva la Violin and it does contribute to IQ growth.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 PM

3,033 posts, read 6,161,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
So parents can participate in school activities since they are closer, not have to spend as much on gas, kids could get more sleep as could parents, they would be at schools where their neighbors and friends are, less cars on the road polluting and causing accidents meaning less traffic. Oh wait, having to travel a long distance would do the opposite....my bad.

Oh, the horror of it all!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:29 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,969,372 times
Default Private instruction

My violin teacher teaches adults and little kids in individual lessons. She used to teach at the Kindermusic place. PM me for her info - I highly recommend her. She's near Creedmoor/ 540 and kid lessons are $20/wk. ($40/wk. for adults after you move to hour long lessons)

Old 10-06-2008, 03:47 AM

847 posts, read 2,417,666 times
It took me 6 pages to insert Durham into the conversation? Wow, I'm falling down on the job here.

DS takes private piano lessons. He'll add guitar starting next year, and looks forward to playing a band instrument in middle school. His elementary school offers music as one of the specials, and the emphasis is on rhythmic instruments. I was amazed at open house to see the quality and breadth of instruments in the music room... maybe 25 different kinds of drums alone, plus several types of xylophones, guitars/mandolins, clickers and clackers, gongs, and so on from all over the world. I could hardly pull my hubby and son out of the room. It is my son's favorite "special."

The arts magnet elementary in Durham offers Suzuki violin to all its students. All students in all Durham schools have a music special similar to what I described above.

Our school also offers science as one of the specials. So far they have done great hands-on chemistry and physics experiments in the lab and outdoors.

I believe the "world cultures" magnet in Durham and perhaps some others offer language instruction, and there is a Spanish-English bilingual program at one of the schools. (Ours chose science instead of language.)

Specials are offered in the afternoons on a rotating schedule. There are seven specials this year for my son's grade: art, music, science, media center, computers, and PE.

The computer lab is fully outfitted with a Mac for each student, and my son is already proficient with a Mac (we have PCs at home) and has the "home" row of keyboarding memorized.

The art room is, again, impressive regarding the quality and breadth of materials. They do weaving on a full-size loom, pottery in a real kiln tucked in a back room, painting, color theory. My son is not artsy at all, but he understands perspective now after last week's lesson.

I didn't say anything about the most important thing, the specials teachers, but they are all very enthusiastic and passionate about their subject areas.

I don't mind that the specials and types of instruction vary among schools. That is part of the great choice system in Durham. Somewhere in Durham, there's a curriculum that fits your child.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 AM

196 posts, read 360,339 times
My child who started playing violin at 4 yrs. is now learning/playing violin at Washington Elementary (a Wake county GT Magnet) in year around Orchestra elective. They start from 3rd grade onwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary