Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 05:58 AM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times

Advertisements

I agree that the "specials" are not essential and do cost money, but for me as a child, they were the highlight of the school day. I looked forward to art, home ec, and shop (something that I couldn't say about all my other classes!). It was such a relief from constant writing and desk work. There are many children who are even more "hands on" then I was and really only truly understand things when they physically handle things or make things. Also, it's nice if middle school children get at least some small choice in their academic lives. Later, as an adult, I worked in construction, two cabinet shops, and in restaurants, so all those "specials" actually were a good thing and the basis of some enjoyable jobs and life skills. I took instrument lessons in school, and even though I never got very good at anything, I think it did help me learn "how to learn" physical tasks and analyze what I do physically. I still hack away on the guitar in the evening, just for relaxation. So, specials do cost money but they add a very good balance to the school day and can expose children to activities that they may not have exposure to at home. Also, for some sensitive or artistic types, their art or other "specials" teacher may be their favorite teacher and someone who they feel safe sharing their dreams with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 06:38 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Most of the middle schools (I think all of them) DO offer electives, they just don't get as many per day and the selections are less. At our traditional middle school, they got two electives and could choose between band, art, drama, animal science, literature circle, yearbook, home EC and few others I can't remember. They were also required to take a computer class, PE, and one a week on Fridays I think, they had a one hour "fun class" (can't remember what they were called) but it was like a reading group, or candy making that changed each quarter, so it's not like the other schools get NO electives (except the elementary school level) but they also have art, music, and PE built into the core curriculum.

Also WCPSS just won a large federal grant for the magnet programs.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:40 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Also WCPSS just won a large federal grant for the magnet programs.
Of course....god forbid they get money for the non-magnet schools. Oh well....good for the magnet schools, I cannot wait to see the rush for people to get in line for the magnet school lottery next time it comes around.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Default Then run for the board of education

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Of course....god forbid they get money for the non-magnet schools. Oh well....good for the magnet schools, I cannot wait to see the rush for people to get in line for the magnet school lottery next time it comes around.
If during your childhood similar issues were dealt with differently and you feel that was better then become involved and lend your skills to helping your community move forward. This forum is great but it is not going to help the folks who agree with you be heard. Lend your voice and skills to the level of civic acitivism necessary to bring change.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If during your childhood similar issues were dealt with differently and you feel that was better then become involved and lend your skills to helping your community move forward. This forum is great but it is not going to help the folks who agree with you be heard. Lend your voice and skills to the level of civic activism necessary to bring change.
I would except I am busy with other things that do include helping others on this board look for work or update resumes.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,037 times
The magnet grant is being used at 3 schools if I remember correctly. Garner High, SE Raleigh High and one other. Maybe a Garner middle school?

No, magnets do not cost money to attend, but they do cost some families more than others. For instance, we wanted foreign language for our kids every day k-5 where they could move ahead as far as they could. Only one school in the county guarantees that so we went there. No bus service was offered to us at all, and it was approximately 2 hours a day and 45 miles a day to drive our kids back and forth to school. That's gas money and valuable time. Now, the base population got that program for free. They got regular neighborhood bus service, got to go to school with their neighborhood friends, etc. Much of the base area is comprised of houses costing at least $225/sq ft. A brand new sub across the street from the school has 6 houses for sale right now costing between $750K and $900K. I think the base populations for magnets should be low income only. Those are the kids who need the exposure to the arts, language, and cultural things. Their parents can't afford to provide those extras to them as much as middle class parents can. So why do some families living in $800K houses get magnet programs for 'free' while others have to pay for it through long bus rides or gas and mileage?

Lamishra--Yes, I agree that most of our schools provide a solid education in the basic curriculum. We don't 'need' the electives. But why should some students receive those things and others don't? Take magnets out of the equation--there are still differences in what kids receive at non-magnet schools. Some get orchestra and foreign language in middle school and others don't. WCPSS thinks that people shouldn't have the right to select their school based on where they live. Yet how do you get the things that matter to you in your child's education if you can't do that. People get reassigned from one school to another all the time with NO regard for the academic programs that are offered from one school to another. That is what's unfair--that some families get access to extras and others don't.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:43 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
I disagree about not "needing" the electives. In college and in life, well-rounded people tend to succeed. With more and more people needing both parents to work just to make ends meet, where is the time and money for all the "extras" like music, art, sports, shop, home ec ,etc.

My oldest is taking a music theory and composition class. An elective. No, he's not a music major, nor will he be one in college. He just likes music. He plays guitar, he plays in a band with some friends. This is by far his favorite class and as one previous poster mentioned, I'm sure it's a welcome break in his day between Latin, Chemistry, Trig, French, etc.

My middle schooler also looks forward to his electives. They're not really electives as everyone is scheduled for the same general variety of 1-2x/week classes, but they rotate in and out during the school year. They do get to choose which language they take and band/orchestra/choir is an elective.

In the elementary school, I see how much my daughter benefits from her specials like art, music, library, etc.

Just as I believe firmly in the concept of neighborhood schools in order to foster parent involvement and community relations, I believe kids who are well rounded and exposed to a variety of different subjects, tend to perform better.

Did you know that music helps boost math scores?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:21 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,037 times
NChomesomeday--I agree that electives are needed for a well rounded education. Its funny that you mention music and math. My husband was a music major in college and then went on to get a masters in Computer Science. So many people make comments like "wow, thats a 180" when they find that out. But music is based on math so its a perfect fit.

I should clarify, like lamishra may have mentioned--its only elementary schools that aren't allowed to have 'electives' unless they are magnets. They aren't allowed to offer band/orchestra or anything else where kids can pick from different things.

Middle schools are allowed to offer electives, but the availability of them varies by school and the biggest selection is reserved for magnet schools. Same thing with high school--there are advanced math electives offered at Enloe (a magnet) that aren't offered anywhere else. The theory is, if they let any school offer these things then there would be no incentive for families to travel the long distances to the magnets.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
So basic music, art, and PE are still available at all Wake County elementary schools ... right? And by "music" I mean singing and maybe playing a recorder and such. Is this correct?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
The theory is, if they let any school offer these things then there would be no incentive for families to travel the long distances to the magnets.
So parents can participate in school activities since they are closer, not have to spend as much on gas, kids could get more sleep as could parents, they would be at schools where their neighbors and friends are, less cars on the road polluting and causing accidents meaning less traffic. Oh wait, having to travel a long distance would do the opposite....my bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary