U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 07:47 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,838,929 times

Advertisements

We pay 70 to Time Warner Cable for 70 channels & internet

Are their cheaper options.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,948,206 times
Yeah. We pay less than that for all the channels Direct has without the movie channels although every now again they offer it to us when the contract is in negotiation. Trick is you have to call and cancel every year and they will offer you the same tv for about $40-$50 bucks a month.

I use my neighbors internet. I used to pay him $10 a month, which I would just give $120 for the passcode but he doesn't accept the money anymore. So that is free.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,719,909 times
It depends on what you want and where you live ...

1.) Broadcast TV is still "free" ....

2.) A Netflix subscription can be less than $10 month.

Once you add an Internet connection you have these options :

3.) Stream addition Netflix content (no additional charge)

4.) Stream Hulu (free) or Hulu plus ($10/mo)

5.) Voice calls via Skype ($3/mo)

So for about $55 a month ($35 Internet, $10 Netflix, $10 Hulu plus) you can get Internet access and more content than you can possibly watch. Add Skype Unlimited US/Canada and add voice for less than $60/month total.
Or get the above from TW for only $100 a month additional.

Frank

Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 AM

10,696 posts, read 20,114,276 times
The cheapest I was able to get TWC for the 70 channels + internet was around $58. Internet was $14.95 for 12 months (768k) and TV was $39.99.

Last year I called and got the upgraded internet (true high speed) for $30/month for 12 months. Regular price is $50. Regular price for TV for the 70 channels is either $60 or $70/month.

I tried it again this year and go nowhere. Dropped TWC and got DISH which will average $32.50/month over the two years. Staying with the 768k internet for now.

The problem with the internet viewing is you don't get channels. If you like to flip thru TV channels and watch channels like History, Discovery, Disney, etc. TV is needed.

If you get nowhere with TWC cancel, they call you back the next day and offer specials again.

I would like some sort of high speed internet sharing system where we split it up, if I lived in an apartment I would talk to my neighbors about it.

Skype is an option for phone but I hate having to have a computer on for it.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 AM

1,356 posts, read 3,467,755 times
My monthly entertainment costs me $30.

I watch the 'free' broadcast channels. They're great during the work week, but lack a little during the weekends. To make up for that, I have the $9 plan from Netflix. I can watch unlimited instant movies, and for those not available on instant play, I can have one mailed to me at a time (usually watch about 3-4/month of those, and probably 10-15 of the others, depending on how busy I am). I have Road Runner Lite for $20, which does everything I need it to do.... I watch videos online, watch my Instant Play online, check email/facebook/blogs, etc. If you're a gamer or anything like that, I'm sure it's not enough, but it's plenty for me. So $30 a month covers my at home entertainment and leaves plenty in my wallet for our-of-home entertainment .

Old 08-16-2010, 07:52 AM

Very helpful to see low cost options.
I don't think there is much worth watching on TV anyway.

The free broadcast & netflex and 20 $ for TWC internet sounds like a great
solution.

Husband said he doesn't care if we ditch the cable & I sure don't care...

Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Dropped TWC and got DISH which will average $32.50/month over the two years. Staying with the 768k internet for now.
Does that mean you kept TWC internet or does DISH do internet??

Very helpful information..
The options are mind boggling

Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
My monthly entertainment costs me $30.

I watch the 'free' broadcast channels. They're great during the work week, but lack a little during the weekends. To make up for that, I have the $9 plan from Netflix. I can watch unlimited instant movies, and for those not available on instant play, I can have one mailed to me at a time (usually watch about 3-4/month of those, and probably 10-15 of the others, depending on how busy I am). I have Road Runner Lite for $20, which does everything I need it to do.... I watch videos online, watch my Instant Play online, check email/facebook/blogs, etc. If you're a gamer or anything like that, I'm sure it's not enough, but it's plenty for me. So $30 a month covers my at home entertainment and leaves plenty in my wallet for our-of-home entertainment .
Sounds like what I want to do

Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 AM

1,344 posts, read 2,576,526 times
Yea this is all fine and good but what about DVR?? I have had it for a few years now and hardly ever watch live tv. I can't imagine having to go back to being at the mercy of the schedule and watching things live and **horrors** watching commercials.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 AM

715 posts, read 1,252,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Yea this is all fine and good but what about DVR?? I have had it for a few years now and hardly ever watch live tv. I can't imagine having to go back to being at the mercy of the schedule and watching things live and **horrors** watching commercials.
I went to the antenna/internet combo recently and the DVR was probably the hardest part of letting go. But Hulu generally shows a lot less commercials than network TV so you're not stuck watching too many. There is usually one before the program starts and one 30/60 second commercial at the normal breaks.
The only antenna issue I've run into is ABC which I can't pick up (and it seems like a lot of other people have the same issue in this area). If you like ABC shows though most are on Hulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary